testtest

Why I Love Pheasant Hunting

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Why I Love Pheasant Hunting” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/why-i-love-pheasant-hunting/.

Good times afield 👍

Pheasant hunter myself.
Lots of walking. Lots of good scenery and birds. Gets your heart racing when the birds jump

IMG_2007.jpeg
IMG_2003.jpeg

We didn't have Pheasant here in Southern Illinois. I grew up hunting Quail , Dove , Squirrel , and rabbits. In 1970 we started Deer hunting.

When I worked for the bird dog trainer , there were clients from up North that wanted their dogs trained on Pheasant as well as Quail . From time to time He would let me take a couple Pheasants home as well as Quail from different times.

I always liked the Pheasant just like all the other wild game.

My Dad was one of 11 brothers and sisters and grew up in Eastern SD. From 12-18 Dad would pull me out of school for pheasant season each October and we'd go back for the wily Phasianidae. One very, very liberal English teacher said she wouldn't provide the weeks assignments for when I'd be gone 'just so he can go murder birds' and said I'd have to take F's for the assignments. Pops quickly had the Principal "re-educate" her.;)

I don’t bring the 682 Gold out very often…that was just a perfect day, I decided why not.

My buddy was running my “boom stick”—the 18” chopped 686 behind it. I usually carry that or my Benelli M1S90.

Oooh Nice! Pics if you have them, Please! I searched high & low for my 24" Browning Upland. Took years of stalking GunBroker to find one with even average wood!

The dog trainer I worked for Had several Savage shotguns . Two were 20GA. single shots , two were .22 LR over .410 , and an O/U made by Valmet of Finland. He also had a Browning Superposed .20 GA.

When a regular run of the mill client came to see how his dog was progressing , or to pick it up , but hadn't brought a shotgun with them he let them use the Savage O/U. But if it were a Dr or a lawyer he brought out the Browning.

Funny thing is , over the course of time I worked for him , I got to shoot both the Savage and the Browning many times. I loved the Savage and hated the Browning. The Savage was like it was made for me and the Browning just didn't come to my shoulder right. One thing I really liked about the Savage over the Browning was that the barrel selector switch was on the trigger and not in the safety .

For O/Us 12, 20 & 28 ga's Ruger Red Labels here.

The only quail I ever went for were Mountain quail in W. OR.

We have Californians here but they only stay in the valley bottoms & all that is private land & posted.

The dog trainer I worked for Had several Savage shotguns . Two were 20GA. single shots , two were .22 LR over .410 , and an O/U made by Valmet of Finland. He also had a Browning Superposed .20 GA.

When a regular run of the mill client came to see how his dog was progressing , or to pick it up , but hadn't brought a shotgun with them he let them use the Savage O/U. But if it were a Dr or a lawyer he brought out the Browning.

Funny thing is , over the course of time I worked for him , I got to shoot both the Savage and the Browning many times. I loved the Savage and hated the Browning. The Savage was like it was made for me and the Browning just didn't come to my shoulder right. One thing I really liked about the Savage over the Browning was that the barrel selector switch was on the trigger and not in the safety .
I have several Savage and Stevens doubles and singles in 12 and 20. They always work great in spite of not being $1500 works of art that I'd be hesitant to drag through the fields. :)

Back