testtest

Why I Use a Crossbow to Hunt

Know the regs wherever you use one.

I think they're cool, and would like to get one, but In my state crossbows are only legal in the gun seasons. There are no provisions for disabled hunters.

So, I stick with my traditional bow - 66" take-down recurve.

1702751433058.png

Last edited:
Crossbows have come a long way since i was a kid and back then i was fascinated by them, so i saved my paper route money to buy the first commercially made crossbow sold to the public. Most of you remember Whammo. lol it was an 80 pound pull bow and i stayed in trouble with it. lol i've had this since i was 12 or 13, am 69 now. even have the original wooden arrows

deer hunting 101.jpg
deer hunting 100.jpg

SANY4255.JPG

I used to hunt with them a lot. but kinda lost interest in the last few years. i have had several different crossbows but no modern ones as they are ridiculous on price. i picked one up a while back and it was over two grand. nope. just a few i still own, most i have sold or traded.

20200921-131217.jpg

deer hunting 102.jpg
deer hunting 103.jpg
Picture0502191028_1.jpg

Well there is inherent value in a weapon that is virtually silent and emits no flash or noise, right ?
Yes +100.

The downsides are having a very good supply of "bolts". Just like the compound bows the new crossbows get their best performance from carbon-fiber bolts (aka short arrows) that maybe hard to find in a survival situation, and the relative short-range, but it should up the fear-factor to any intruders to the homestead when they get run through with a bolt.

But Daryl seems to have a never ending supply. :whistle:

Yes +100.

The downsides are having a very good supply of "bolts". Just like the compound bows the new crossbows get their best performance from carbon-fiber bolts (aka short arrows) that maybe hard to find in a survival situation, and the relative short-range, but it should up the fear-factor to any intruders to the homestead when they get run through with a bolt.

But Daryl seems to have a never ending supply. :whistle:

Absolutely. But as part of an overall defensive strategy ( and sometimes the best defense is a covert, aggressive offense) it certainly merits consideration.

I hate to tell you this, Belt Fed, but the prices on new recurves is a lot higher now too. Kinda blew me away when I looked at them at Bass Pro.

If anyone is interested in "traditional' bows, either recurves or long bows, & hunting with them Traditional Bowhunter magazine is a nice source of info & fun reads, plus a source of vendors that cater to that part of archery.

1702836175143.png

My 66" recurve.

DSCF5234e.JPG

Last edited:
This was my BIL my sister gave it to me after he passed. i never shot it. I probably couldn't pull it back. and a bunch of wooden arrows. i have no idea how old they are.

SANY4249.JPG
SANY4250.JPG
SANY4251.JPG
SANY4254.JPG

I have a Bear like that one, Belt Fed. Mine is 50# at 28”. I even have a dozen or so wood arrows. I bought mine new in 1974. Before I stopped hunting with it, I had switched to aluminum arrows.

Back