testtest

Why the Shotgun is One of the Best Options for Personal Defense

My current home defense gun is a Kalashnikov Komrad with 10 rounds of 00 buckshot.

Out of curiosity, have you seen any top-round shell deformity over prolonged storage, closed-bolt?

IIRC, *_years_* ago, some Forum guys did an experiment, and they saw that deformation by the ~3-month time-point was significant enough that it started to affect feeding. There was some debate as to whether a top-round slug would stave off this concern, but I'm not sure that a consensus had ever been reached, there, or an attempt to verify actually tried?

I also wonder if the top round deforms from pressure, whether that will also to some extent affect the rest of the cartridge stack as well?

Out of curiosity, have you seen any top-round shell deformity over prolonged storage, closed-bolt?

IIRC, *_years_* ago, some Forum guys did an experiment, and they saw that deformation by the ~3-month time-point was significant enough that it started to affect feeding. There was some debate as to whether a top-round slug would stave off this concern, but I'm not sure that a consensus had ever been reached, there, or an attempt to verify actually tried?

I also wonder if the top round deforms from pressure, whether that will also to some extent affect the rest of the cartridge stack as well?
No, I don't have any deformation. The ammo I'm using is Black Aces Tactical. It's your typical 2 3/4" 00 Buck shot with 9 pellets but these are listed at 1425 fps. FWIW, the hull is ribbed.

As some of you know, I really like shotguns. I defer to them near completely for home defense. I have many and all different actions, lengths and purposes. I train hard with them and have for a couple decades now.

That said, and I must preface this by revealing that I almost always agree with the sheriff's POV, the sheriff is propagating a myth in this article. Kind of. It is true that sometimes a guy holding a shotgun can calm everything down in a hurry, but the same can be said for the appearance of ANY gun. The idea that brandishing a weapon as a means to scare someone is normal or something to be practiced is a slippery slope at best and a violation of at least 2 of my personal rules for gun safety. That doesn't mean that you should go ahead and shoot even if the situation is relaxed immediately after you draw, but you need to be absolutely sure there is an actual threat of death or bodily injury before you ever draw in the first place. And hesitation just gets you dead so you're basically dancing on the head of a pin if you go into the situation thinking about introducing a weapon into a situation and simultaneously thinking or hoping you don't have to use it. Obviously this is a lot different for LEO, who are tasked with drawing a weapon without immediately firing it on a daily basis. I absolutely do see both sides of this issue and I won't pretend I can proselytize the one true answer or anything. I just believe completely that you should never draw your weapon unless you are ready to use it and you should never use it unless your are prepared to kill something.

Also, the idea that racking a shotgun will scare someone into submission is very dangerous. It very often won't. And presenting an unloaded weapon in a split second, life or death situation is the same thing as holding a brick.

As some of you know, I really like shotguns. I defer to them near completely for home defense. I have many and all different actions, lengths and purposes. I train hard with them and have for a couple decades now.

That said, and I must preface this by revealing that I almost always agree with the sheriff's POV, the sheriff is propagating a myth in this article. Kind of. It is true that sometimes a guy holding a shotgun can calm everything down in a hurry, but the same can be said for the appearance of ANY gun. The idea that brandishing a weapon as a means to scare someone is normal or something to be practiced is a slippery slope at best and a violation of at least 2 of my personal rules for gun safety. That doesn't mean that you should go ahead and shoot even if the situation is relaxed immediately after you draw, but you need to be absolutely sure there is an actual threat of death or bodily injury before you ever draw in the first place. And hesitation just gets you dead so you're basically dancing on the head of a pin if you go into the situation thinking about introducing a weapon into a situation and simultaneously thinking or hoping you don't have to use it. Obviously this is a lot different for LEO, who are tasked with drawing a weapon without immediately firing it on a daily basis. I absolutely do see both sides of this issue and I won't pretend I can proselytize the one true answer or anything. I just believe completely that you should never draw your weapon unless you are ready to use it and you should never use it unless your are prepared to kill something.

Also, the idea that racking a shotgun will scare someone into submission is very dangerous. It very often won't. And presenting an unloaded weapon in a split second, life or death situation is the same thing as holding a brick.
Excellent points! (y)

I was reminded of this book. I highly recommend it.*main character uses a shotgun

I was going to grab a copy. The cheapest one was $93.51 though.
There is a cheaper option:
Screenshot_20211031-165040_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Not sure its worth $95 but it is up there with Clancy & Ludlum if you ask me.

Also, the idea that racking a shotgun will scare someone into submission is very dangerous. It very often won't.
Depends on the situation. I grew up in a small town and was a Volunteer Fireman. In that part of the country all the Volunteer Fire Departments throw an annual Fireman's Field Days. Basically a week long carnival. Of course there is a beer tent and ocassionally you have a tussle or two. 4 of us Firemen were trying to breakup a fight and disperse the crowd at the end of one of the nights, unsuccessfully I might had. It ended up on the lawn of a resident behind the fair grounds who had a elderly mother and the commotion was scaring her. He appeared in the doorway with a 12GA Pump and told everyone to get the %^&* off his lawn or they would get an ass full of rock salt, he got everyones attention but no one was complying. He racked the shotgun and people couldn't leave fast enough.

Depends on the situation. I grew up in a small town and was a Volunteer Fireman. In that part of the country all the Volunteer Fire Departments throw an annual Fireman's Field Days. Basically a week long carnival. Of course there is a beer tent and ocassionally you have a tussle or two. 4 of us Firemen were trying to breakup a fight and disperse the crowd at the end of one of the nights, unsuccessfully I might had. It ended up on the lawn of a resident behind the fair grounds who had a elderly mother and the commotion was scaring her. He appeared in the doorway with a 12GA Pump and told everyone to get the %^&* off his lawn or they would get an ass full of rock salt, he got everyones attention but no one was complying. He racked the shotgun and people couldn't leave fast enough.
None of those people were intent on killing or robbing people, ie, like criminals.
You want to confront a home invader with an unloaded shotgun that’s your business. 😉

Well, I want back and looked, and the one I found was 4.99, but it was NOT 5 fingers. Do a search on Amazon and I think you’ll find it for 18.44.

Back