testtest

Why This Forum?

You and me both bob ................ although I did have a really good Brittany bird dog one time that would run a whole covey of quail down a gopher hole and sit on the opening till I yelled 'Pull'............. then she'd jump up just long enough to let one bird out at a time for me. Unless of course I told her "double" just before yelling 'Pull' !!!

I didn't keep her long though before I sold that worthless son-of-a-gun. Her bad side was she wouldn't retrieve for nothin'.

True story ............... I swear !!! (y)(y)(y)
Growing up my dad started out raising English Pointers and as he got older, for obvious reasons, he switched to Brittanys. My dad's dogs were all fantastic. They were trained to hold point, period. His dogs were not to flush, ever. We took turns flushing. The guy who flushed, didn't shoot. Pointers have a habit that Brittanys don't. That is a pointer will run half a mile away and if she finds birds you're nowhere near. So he trained them to hold point, which they did. Brittanys will go out until they can't see you and then turn around and come back. They hunt for you whereas I think pointers hunt for themselves.

Growing up my dad started out raising English Pointers and as he got older, for obvious reasons, he switched to Brittanys. My dad's dogs were all fantastic. They were trained to hold point, period. His dogs were not to flush, ever. We took turns flushing. The guy who flushed, didn't shoot. Pointers have a habit that Brittanys don't. That is a pointer will run half a mile away and if she finds birds you're nowhere near. So he trained them to hold point, which they did. Brittanys will go out until they can't see you and then turn around and come back. They hunt for you whereas I think pointers hunt for themselves.
Pointers ( males ) are much more hard headed also. Brittanys are considered a close working dog where Pointers are wide workers . Some more than others .

I enjoyed all the different dogs I got to work with during the years I worked for a trainer. When he had his heart attack , I had to do all the training for almost a year. I will say the best and easiest dog to train that I worked with was a female pointer that just wanted to please. She was an exception though.

No matter the breed , some bird dogs just don't have the ability to become good dogs.

Pointers ( males ) are much more hard headed also. Brittanys are considered a close working dog where Pointers are wide workers . Some more than others .

I enjoyed all the different dogs I got to work with during the years I worked for a trainer. When he had his heart attack , I had to do all the training for almost a year. I will say the best and easiest dog to train that I worked with was a female pointer that just wanted to please. She was an exception though.

No matter the breed , some bird dogs just don't have the ability to become good dogs.
My dad only kept females. And the two best dogs he ever had were pointers. All of his Brittany’s were good too though.

My dad only kept females. And the two best dogs he ever had were pointers. All of his Brittany’s were good too though.
Almost every breed, whether bird/hunting dogs have their good points and bad points, some better or worse than others. And I've some good and not so good in several breeds. But for my money when it comes to bird hunting in close, the Brittany is hard to beat in all-round consideration.

They'll hunt as hard for you as any in any kind of weather, and then when you get back home they'll become the gentlest, most loving companion dog possible. I think the Britts are a lot more malleable where the Pointers are often times a little more independent.

It was always my experience that they sensed the difference between being outside and time to work, and then once they walked through the door back at home it was like they became a different dog. I've had a couple really good working Pointers, but they were always a Pointer first and companion second. Not bad dogs by any means, just not as 'companion' oriented.

I've owned several Britts over the years (just lost my last one about a year ago), and would have another one right now if not for my age and the situation where we live (3rd floor apt).

Why do I come to this forum? Because I like firearms I guess!

16743916367998956262512877619432.gif

This is the only forum, Gun related or otherwise, that I participate in. I became a member of it out of curiosity and because I’ve owned and competed with Springfield’s XD & XDM series pistols since the Croatian Child first came on the scene. As a Southpaw, I’m completely enamored with fully ambidextrous pistols, so the XD & XDM’s really scratched my itch! I’ve stayed on the forum because, in the main, participants here are principally respectful, courteous, introspective, informative, and above all…humerous! And, everyone needs a good laugh 😂daily!

This is the only forum, Gun related or otherwise, that I participate in. I became a member of it out of curiosity and because I’ve owned and competed with Springfield’s XD & XDM series pistols since the Croatian Child first came on the scene. As a Southpaw, I’m completely enamored with fully ambidextrous pistols, so the XD & XDM’s really scratched my itch! I’ve stayed on the forum because, in the main, participants here are principally respectful, courteous, introspective, informative, and above all…humerous! And, everyone needs a good laugh 😂daily!
16743906602385305593719798306701.gif

Back