testtest

Why Was Hip Shooting Ever A Thing?

It’s faster, and plenty accurate at close range.

Do you make tight groups? No.

But you can put your shots in the A zone easily enough with a little practice; I can, and do, break clays placed at head level at 3 yards with pretty much all of my carry guns fired “from the hip”.

These are lessons from people who actually were in a LOT of gunfights; not talking heads on the internet who’ve never been close to a real gunfight.

I remember back in the day we use to do a stage of “hip” firing at 7 yards in a PPC match as well as a USAF qual with the S&W model 15’s . It could be done but the difference in qual vs the when something kicks off. With a qual you have that set up prep time where we’d all game it and set up with strong foot Sligo to the left of the center.

But you can put your shots in the A zone easily enough with a little practice; I can, and do, break clays placed at head level at 3 yards with pretty much all of my carry guns fired “from the hip”.

These are lessons from people who actually were in a LOT of gunfights; not talking heads on the internet who’ve never been close to a real gunfight.
It depends on who you are obviously. Or rather how much time you spend doing it. I assure you there are people who can nail a gnat's ass to a wall from the hip. John Wesley Hardin was supposedly an amazing shot, with either hand or both hands at the same time without relying on sights.

The modern equivalent is shooting from retention. Something everyone should practice.

You know as hip shooting was a thing from some legends in LE like the video mentioned. Jelly Bryce and others the funny thing they made it work with a 6 shot 38 special and Lead Round nose bullets .

To hear some today they wouldn’t survive without a higher cap gun red dot and WML!!!’
Well, I do like my red dots and high cap mags. :) No WMLs though. They really are no help on the range.
I also do a fair bit of point shooting and do not consider myself a good shot with a pistol to begin with. I strive to excel at combat accuracy though and do a fair to middlin' job of it.

That's why I like shotguns so much. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Speed, pure and simple. It allow one to get a round away significantly quicker than a more traditional shooting position. That said, mastering it is Hard! And it’s a short range thing only. There’s and old video of Bill Jordan holding his strong side hand palm down with a pingpong ball on top of it. He then moves that hand, draws a model 19 Smith from a duty holster and hits the pingpong ball with a shot before it hits the ground😳. That boys and girls is fast! Jordan advocated all police officers master shooting from the hip for targets out to 3-5 yards noting that a first shot on target usually wins the fight. Makes sense, and even an old man like me can get a shot away from the hip a lot quicker than any other way (based on results using a shot timer). The trick is to be able to actually HIT with that first fast shot.I’ve been practicing this a lot at 3 yards with my 3” EMP.(that’ll make you humble🙄). In an SD situation a few tenths of a second can be critical, so I’ll continue working on this. However, just about the time I think I’ve “got it” I’ll miss several in a row.😏. YMMV

Speed, pure and simple. It allow one to get a round away significantly quicker than a more traditional shooting position. That said, mastering it is Hard! And it’s a short range thing only. There’s and old video of Bill Jordan holding his strong side hand palm down with a pingpong ball on top of it. He then moves that hand, draws a model 19 Smith from a duty holster and hits the pingpong ball with a shot before it hits the ground😳. That boys and girls is fast! Jordan advocated all police officers master shooting from the hip for targets out to 3-5 yards noting that a first shot on target usually wins the fight. Makes sense, and even an old man like me can get a shot away from the hip a lot quicker than any other way (based on results using a shot timer). The trick is to be able to actually HIT with that first fast shot.I’ve been practicing this a lot at 3 yards with my 3” EMP.(that’ll make you humble🙄). In an SD situation a few tenths of a second can be critical, so I’ll continue working on this. However, just about the time I think I’ve “got it” I’ll miss several in a row.😏. YMMV
John Wesley Hardin had holsters sewn into his vest and pulled crossdraw. He said it was the fastest way. The man likely exaggerated some, but his confirmed kill count still puts him near the top. There are playing cards with his bullet holes still out there and for sale actually. And someone paid 80k for the bullet that killed him.

^^^^this^^^^

My first formal handgun training with Air Force police in 1970 included a lot of hip shooting, what I referred to as FBI Combat Crouch. Very effective at close range and holster choice is critical. Takes much practice to master. LE training more or less dropped the crouch and Jeff Cooper's teachings became prominent. I still end all my range sessions with CQB/hip shooting/failure drills

Well, I do like my red dots and high cap mags. :) No WMLs though. They really are no help on the range.
I also do a fair bit of point shooting and do not consider myself a good shot with a pistol to begin with. I strive to excel at combat accuracy though and do a fair to middlin' job of it.

That's why I like shotguns so much. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
IMG_5577.jpeg

Back