testtest

Why Was Hip Shooting Ever A Thing?

I think we might have done some single action shooting with the M15 from the barricade or prone at the 50 yard line in the 70's.
Most of my USAF M15 shooting was SA, at 25 yards, with M41 ball (130 FMJ) or Winchester 148 WCs. I know we shot two "advanced" courses in tech school, which involved at least some DA shooting, but I don't remember ever teaching them.

I actually never run any of my Wheelguns single action it’s DA only we never even used Single action at any departments or in my time with the USAF pre M9
I've never owned an M15, but I do have two M19s, two M66s, and two M17s. I shoot them both ways. I like the SA for accuracy testing and long-range plinking, and DA for most shooting at 25 yards and less.

I've never owned an M15, but I do have two M19s, two M66s, and two M17s. I shoot them both ways. I like the SA for accuracy testing and long-range plinking, and DA for most shooting at 25 yards and less.
On the Indiana qualification course it actually states at the 35 yard stage that folks with hammer fired Daa/SA can cock the hammer. I’m not a fan but not my program. When I run my Sig 226 I never cock the hammer on my HK 45 it’s an LEM so I couldn't if I wanted to but the LEM light is only a 5 pound break just has some longer travel for that first shot but resets and stays cocked like a SA

Yeah, older cops sure seem to like their revolvers. 😉🤣
Many us had little or no choice. Many agencies and departments were afraid to allow anything other than .38 round nose rounds even in guns built for magnums. My particular beef was several federal agencies issuing the "Hoover Special" 3" stamped "Property of the US Dept of Justice" being issued to undercover agents. o_O

I had a friend in charge of firearms training for a large sheriff's department where it was a fireable offense to even carry hollow points or .357 magnums on your person.

All this at a time when it was perfectly permissible to shoot a suspected felon in the back out of a moving car if they tried to flee. Different times. :whistle:

Many agents and officers have no idea of the debt they owe the now deceased Illinois State Police officer Jerry Cavanaugh who teamed up with Smith and Wesson to persuade ISP to switch to semi autos which started the stampede to semi auto belt guns in law enforcement. Ask any old time IBI or ISP alum about Jerry. Print the legend.

Last edited:
Many us had little or no choice. Many agencies and departments were afraid to allow anything other than .38 round nose rounds even in guns built for magnums. My particular beef was several federal agencies issuing the "Hoover Special" 3" stamped "Property of the US Dept of Justice" being issued to undercover agents. o_O

I had a friend in charge of firearms training for a large sheriff's department where it was a fireable offense to even carry hollow points or .357 magnums on your person.

All this at a time when it was perfectly permissible to shoot a suspected felon in the back out of a moving car if they tried to flee. Different times. :whistle:

Many agents and officers have no idea of the debt they owe the now deceased Illinois State Police officer Jerry Cavanaugh who teamed up with Smith and Wesson to persuade ISP to switch to semi autos which started the stampede to semi auto belt guns in law enforcement. Ask any old time IBI or ISP alum about Jerry. Print the legend.
I worked a summer job in the conservation area at the Illinois State Fair near a gate that was a state trooper's post. We became friends and he was thrilled to have the new Model 39 duty pistol. He told me of troopers saving themselves by hitting the mag release during a gun grab. Later as an LEO and instructor I was heavily influenced by the ISP firearms training unit in our selection of the Model 669/6906 as a duty pistol, and selection of Winchester +P duty ammo. I believe I spoke to Cavanaugh during that process and he sent me their research and justification process. Not commonly known, a big selling point was their desire to standardize off duty weapons. Troopers were required to be armed on and off duty, and off duty gun qualification scores with a myriad of off duty guns was dismal. Their solution was a duty gun that was suitably concealable as an off duty gun, and the Model 39 fit the bill with its flat profile. My PD adopted the ISP policy and the 669 became our on and off duty carry pistol. We were the first agency in our area to issue semi-autos and our recruits swept academy shooting awards with them.

Most of my USAF M15 shooting was SA, at 25 yards, with M41 ball (130 FMJ) or Winchester 148 WCs. I know we shot two "advanced" courses in tech school, which involved at least some DA shooting, but I don't remember ever teaching them.
By the time I was in we had went with the hotter PGU ball. I was fortunate to have Vietnam Vets as Flight Chiefs and CATM instructors that I felt trained me right. A couple had gave some VC dirt naps with their Model 15’s during Tet.

I was also fortunate that I was in at a time when NRA stickers were prevalent on trucks and my Commander encourages us so we were allowed to draw our Model 15’s if we wanted and shot PPC matches on Saturdays with various local Pikice departments from Memphis to Missouri (I was stationed at Blytheville/Eaker AFB Arkansas in the late 1980’s)

Where I learned about the 686 and different frame sizes. Ran my 15 until I got my own 686. Miss those days!

By the time I was in we had went with the hotter PGU ball. I was fortunate to have Vietnam Vets as Flight Chiefs and CATM instructors that I felt trained me right. A couple had gave some VC dirt naps with their Model 15’s during Tet.
I wonder if any of your instructors were my classmates at USAF SAMTU in 1972. One of our instructors there was legendary for offing a Victor Charles with a personally-owned Browning P.35. The story was he pretty much did a mag dump into Charles, but I wasn't there and don't know if that was true. I know he DID have a scar on his chest from his navel to his throat (which supposedly came from the same incident), because I saw it. Two years ago when I had my stroke, they had to crack my chest to replace my mitral valves, and I had a scar that looked very much like his. :oops:

I wonder if any of your instructors were my classmates at USAF SAMTU in 1972. One of our instructors there was legendary for offing a Victor Charles with a personally-owned Browning P.35. The story was he pretty much did a mag dump into Charles, but I wasn't there and don't know if that was true. I know he DID have a scar on his chest from his navel to his throat (which supposedly came from the same incident), because I saw it. Two years ago when I had my stroke, they had to crack my chest to replace my mitral valves, and I had a scar that looked very much like his. :oops:

Ill pm

The Browning P35 was issued to general officers for a time and there were some floating around in SEA. They were a hot item among F4 pilots when I was at Udorn Thailand

I know that my friend.

I believe your case was the gray hairs guy at a stop sign and a guy in a car right there filmed it?

Not to be disrespectful but in all those cases it’s lack of a CNS or Upper Thoracic aortic area hit. Platt in the Miami shooting had like 14 gunshot wounds and zero of his upper torso. A pic of him laying with IVs in him he lived til the hospital. (Yes Agent Miralis made his shots count but referring to the initial engagement by I believe it was Agent Dove) Sure the one round that the FBI blamed on the Silvertip went through the arm into the chest and lacked a couple inches but was deemed fatal just not right then. A lot of other Silvertip 9mm agencies had great success.

So if you can’t make those hits within the first few rounds your gonna run out of time before you run out of rounds!
FBI had to have some excuse for their poor tactics, let’s put the blame on the ammo.

Back