testtest

Why you conceal carry at home- Homeowner opens door to gunfire

Sure. We all agree on that. That doesn't mean legal trouble for the homeowner though. There's no indication the woman knew there were armed thugs on her porch. The article states she thought it was a family member. And like I said, around here armed thugs on my porch is justification to engage them. There is no duty to retreat. I'm not saying that's what I'd do, but I don't see the legal problem with it. I can tell you one thing, armed thugs on my porch will definitely get my full attention.

All it takes is an overzealous prosecutor and/or an ambulance chasing attorney to start "legal trouble". If it goes to trial, either criminal or civil, you never know what a jury will do. Personally, I wouldn't risk my freedom or finances when I have a safer alternative.

All it takes is an overzealous prosecutor and/or an ambulance chasing attorney to start "legal trouble". If it goes to trial, either criminal or civil, you never know what a jury will do. Personally, I wouldn't risk my freedom or finances when I have a safer alternative.

I guess it depends on where you live. It’s not going to happen here. We have laws that guarantee our rights and also preemptively give us immunity from civil liability in a justified self defense shooting.

So you’ve got a pair of thugs on the porch and you call 911 and then what? Are you locking yourself inside an interior room with 911 still on the line? I would be on the floor behind something, in the dark, covering my front door because right now I know where the bad guys are and where the most likely point of entry is. And I promise you the thugs would be my sole focus.

No. I have adequate cover with a 35' straight line of sight to the front door.

I’m not going to speculate on who shoots first and if the home owner thinks it’s someone they know at the door why have a gun in your hand? Also if you’ve taken the time to view the camera footage then why open the freaking door?? To many questions.
For me, Stay inside, door shut and call 911 if they break in let them cross the threshold and end it.

I grew up in a very rural area. We didn't lock our house doors, if you got stuck and nobody was home, you could borrow their tractor (key was always in the ignition if the tractor even needed a key --most didn't) and pull yourself out. If somebody knocked on the door, a lot of times they were broken down or something and needed to use your telephone (no cell phones back then). Things are certainly different these days, but likely because of my background, I admit to being guilty of still opening the door when someone knocks. Sometimes I may be armed, but a lot of times I am not. So far (and it has been a pretty long distance) so good! :)

At 1st glance it did look like the homeowner opened fire 1st, but a 2nd look revealed the gun flash and the corner hit came from the 2nd assailant.

But still... opening the door was foolish givin the camera and not knowing the guy on the porch.
Ditto. Having security cams (and motion-activated lights) for all points of [legal] entry (driveway, garage door, regular doors) are worth the costs. Recommend getting the ones with "night vision", you can see well even if the porch/exterior light becomes inop. Also keep doors locked, even during daylight hours when home.

Driveway cam w/o night vision on: (no exterior light on)
20210102_172813.jpg

Driveway with night vison on: (no exterior light on)
20210102_172452.jpg

Last edited:
Ditto. Having security cams (and motion-activated lights) for all points of [legal] entry (driveway, garage door, regular doors) are worth the costs. Recommend getting the ones with "night vision", you can see well even if the porch/exterior light becomes inop. Also keep doors locked, even during daylight hours when home.

Driveway cam w/o night vision on: (no exterior light on)
View attachment 13538

Driveway with night vison on: (no exterior light on)
View attachment 13539
Very cool.

I grew up in a very rural area. We didn't lock our house doors, if you got stuck and nobody was home, you could borrow their tractor (key was always in the ignition if the tractor even needed a key --most didn't) and pull yourself out. If somebody knocked on the door, a lot of times they were broken down or something and needed to use your telephone (no cell phones back then). Things are certainly different these days, but likely because of my background, I admit to being guilty of still opening the door when someone knocks. Sometimes I may be armed, but a lot of times I am not. So far (and it has been a pretty long distance) so good! :)

I think there are still many of us this description would fit. I often claim I was raised so far out in the country, that if I wanted to go hunting I had to go 'towards' town. Although the wife and I are now living in a pretty secure and safe community, I too was accustomed to and guilty of just opening my door to any who rang the door bell at my previous residence. Never had a serious incident, but on a couple occasions over many years was quickly uneasy about the visitor!!!!

Lived at that previous location for nearly 40 yrs, and in just that time things changed greatly. When first we built the house and moved there, we didn't even lock our doors unless we would be away for a lengthy amount of time. But by the end of the 37-38th year, we often didn't leave them unlocked even if we were at home.

On an aside .......along about the 25-30 yr mark of living there, I felt a serious need to buy and install a 24hr monitored home security system along with gun safe space for all my accumulations of firearms and valuables. Up until then I had proudly displayed most of my gun collection in a glass front gun cabinet akin to fine furniture. It did have sliding glass doors with a lock on them similar to a jewelry case for when we might have visitors, especially kids. For the duration after that until we retired and moved, we never had an actual problem, but was increasingly concerned.

Maybe a little overkill, but if I hadn't done anything preemptively and something had happened, it would have been my fault for not taking reasonable precautions.

The first shot through the wall and appearance of a dust cloud happens when the #1 badguy turns and has his gun pointed at the ground. In this cursory examination, it doesnt appear to be the first badguy but I cant say if it may have come from the guy in the yard. There is a small flash from the yard at about the same time.

I do not consider this a reason to carry at home, I consider this a reason not to answer the door to strangers. I also find it a good reason not to exit your home to challenge strangers no matter if you are armed or not. This is a good reason to make sure that the integrity of your entry doors are very good. It is a good reason to take a hard look at your plans and intentions when facing odd, suspicious or potentially dangerous situations at home. The plan should probably be to detect the danger early, initiate a help response, prepare to defend yourself and hinder their plans (via good security barriers) to enter your home for as long as possible. I am not going to carry a gun in my home.. I simply will not live that way. Have one reasonably available?...sure. Wear a gun in my home.. nope.

Armed thugs in my porch get the cops called; they don’t get “my full attention” until they come through the door.
Believe I'll have to fall on the side of Mr. Gruber here: dial 911, hang up, observe the perps from defensive cover; may avoid escalation, law may arrive before they enter, if they come on in give 'em all ya got. Best approach to avoid a confrontation and favorable legal stance if things go full blown.

Back