testtest

Why You Need an AR for Home Defense

Welcome to The Armory Life Forum. This auto-generated thread is for discussing The Armory Life video titled Why You Need an AR for Home Defense which can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/why-you-need-an-ar-for-home-defense/.

For the longest time I was more of a 'traditionalist'. If it didnt have wood I wasn't interested. However, with the advancement of polymer and bullet technology, I have to agree an AR really seems to be the most logical of options. Ease of use, modularity and list goes on.
What I do wonder about though is location. How and where is/are the best rapid deployment storage method(s)? (Reloads included)

Although I own both a Saint carbine and Saint pistol I've not put much thought into making one of them my home defense gun. After watching the video the AR would be a great option and I'm inclined to think in my case the Saint
pistol would be the better option. Now I need to consider the nuts and bolts to make it happen. Everything from training to storage. Looking forward to replies from anyone who as moved to an AR for home defense.

I live in a very rural area. I have long considered the AR Carbine, 12 Ga shotgun, and big bore 1911, to be part of my home protection.

Although I own both a Saint carbine and Saint pistol I've not put much thought into making one of them my home defense gun. After watching the video the AR would be a great option and I'm inclined to think in my case the Saint
pistol would be the better option. Now I need to consider the nuts and bolts to make it happen. Everything from training to storage. Looking forward to replies from anyone who as moved to an AR for home defense.
This is a repost of my response on a Thread started by klgunner what is the best weapon for home defense. klgunner's thread had a lot of good replies and is worth checking out.

I feel the AR pistol in .300blk with
subsonic 220grain rounds is a pretty adequate weapon for home defense because of the ability to have two hands fully engaging the weapon and the small stature of the gun to better maneuver though hallways and rooms. The subsonic 220 grain bullet may help limit over penetration which should be a concern for anyone with other occupants in the house or neighbors that live in close proximity.

Also 30 rounds of ouch for the bad guys!

Last edited:
For the longest time I was more of a 'traditionalist'. If it didnt have wood I wasn't interested. However, with the advancement of polymer and bullet technology, I have to agree an AR really seems to be the most logical of options. Ease of use, modularity and list goes on.
What I do wonder about though is location. How and where is/are the best rapid deployment storage method(s)? (Reloads included)
Classified, good question on access/storage. I'll see about assigning an article on that topic for The Armory Life.

If I had an AR, I think the AR pistol would be better inside the home. Not many of us are fending off invaders on our homestead, so you are most likely to be looking at an intruder already inside the house or at the door, and at close quarters, the shorter barrel is going to be an advantage in manuverability.

I've got a 12 gauge, but with that 28" barrel, it is just too long and unwieldy for use inside the rooms and bedroom hallway of my home. So I consider either of my XD-M 9mm's to be primary defense right now. The XD-M 3.8 Compact spends the night in my nightstand, with the extended 19 round magazine in place (so that I have a full grip), and a tactical flashlight next to it. In the morning, I swap for the flush 13 round magazine for carry purposes. Before I got the compact, I kept the XD-M 5.25 next to the bed, but its now locked in its case, and reserved for target practice and "fun" shooting.

Great piece! I could not agree more. A 5.56 could be a really effective home defense gun. But, I do think maneuvering with it indoors could be tough (the guy in the video did address that issue), and man would it be loud! But, it would definitely stop an attacker.

Have a 7.5" 300 Blackout on the way. Already have some factory ammo in house with more of that due in tomorrow. Gathered up some brass, a thousand bullets and Lil' Gun powder. Primers were already in house for the 454.
I have yet to decide to put a quiet can on it or just wear my electronic ears 24/7.

I dont know, but pffft-klink is emensly satisfying. Its akin the joy you see on a child's face when they see a bubble machine.
I don't deny you that at all. For me, if I could get a 155mm, with a nice grip on it I'd be in Hog Heaven. Until that is, they start producing hand held 6", 8" 12" and 18"!

Per Classified's inquiry, Here are some options I found on AR fast access safes (not sure why there's a kid strapped to his back though). I have their under the bed drawer safe and truck safe. They're used more for secured storage than for quick access in my case, but they are quick to get into if needed. The all other options out there as well.

Per Classified's inquiry, Here are some options I found on AR fast access safes (not sure why there's a kid strapped to his back though). I have their under the bed drawer safe and truck safe. They're used more for secured storage than for quick access in my case, but they are quick to get into if needed. The all other options out there as well.

I think its a "train them in the way they should he should go" thing.

Or as a Mandalorian would say, "this is the Way."

Back