testtest

Will 1911 full size 5” barrel Ronin eat 45 cal. Hornady Critical Duty??

savroof

Alpha
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah! Nervous if my new, full size 5”, Ronin will “eat” Hornady Critical Duty 45 acp. reliably? Or, should I break it in with 230 grain ball before trying the Hornady CD 45 acp. ammo?? In my Dan Wesson 4” 45 acp., the nose of the C. Duty hangs up at the barrels feed-ramp. It will not fire reliably in that 45 1911. 🙁 Bummed. And would Sierra JHP 45 cal. be a better choice? I was nervous to buy it, as I didn’t know if that ammo would chamber as well? It has a flat JHP nose. And you cannot return ammo. Any thoughts? I just wanted to buy some self defense ammo besides 230 grain ball ammo which ALWAYS works! I thought since the C. Duty has a more conical shaped nose than Sierra JHP 45, it would be similar to ball, but no, in the Dan Wesson. No idea in the Ronin. I mostly use new Wilson Combat 47D 8 round mags. And the Ronin mag looks like a WC mag with a black plastic follower.

Thank you all for your advise!!

Pic. of Hornady Critical Duty below. See how the nose looks similar to ball ammo?
17712804-F7A6-4C3B-8969-B8520627B239.jpeg

I've fired about 75 rounds of the Hornady Critical Duty 220gr +P with zero issue through my 5" Ronin .45, I can't imagine yours would fare any different.

To be honest, I haven't come across any ammo it doesn't like yet. I've fired Remington, Federal, Winchester, PPU/Monarch, Fiocchi, Speer Gold Dot - No issues with any. The only thing I stayed away from was Flat Nosed .45 ACP because I read from a few different places that the 1911 platform in general doesn't play well with it.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah! Nervous if my new, full size 5”, Ronin will “eat” Hornady Critical Duty 45 acp. reliably? Or, should I break it in with 230 grain ball before trying the Hornady CD 45 acp. ammo?? In my Dan Wesson 4” 45 acp., the nose of the C. Duty hangs up at the barrels feed-ramp. It will not fire reliably in that 45 1911. 🙁 Bummed. And would Sierra JHP 45 cal. be a better choice? I was nervous to buy it, as I didn’t know if that ammo would chamber as well? It has a flat JHP nose. And you cannot return ammo. Any thoughts? I just wanted to buy some self defense ammo besides 230 grain ball ammo which ALWAYS works! I thought since the C. Duty has a more conical shaped nose than Sierra JHP 45, it would be similar to ball, but no, in the Dan Wesson. No idea in the Ronin. I mostly use new Wilson Combat 47D 8 round mags. And the Ronin mag looks like a WC mag with a black plastic follower.

Thank you all for your advise!!

Pic. of Hornady Critical Duty below. See how the nose looks similar to ball ammo? View attachment 23563
I’m a Ronin .45 owner (2 in fact)…My 2 cents:
1) It should take the Hornady, and any other mainstream round commonly used in 5” 1911s.
2). Absolutely DO use regular 230gr FMJ “ball” ammo of a mainstream brand for the first 200-300 rounds , for break in.

Welcome to the forum !

None of my .45 1911's has ever gave me problems with hollow point bullets, with the exception of those R.I.P. cnc'd spikey things. They flat out wouldn't run a full mag.
Jacketed semi-wad cutters was another that gave my 1911's fits.
The Hornady critical defense/duty not once.

Back