testtest

Will SA sell Hellcat RDP barrel and compensator separate?

Anyone know if SA plans to sell an RDP upgrade kit for those of us who purchased the Hellcat OSP? I’d like the idea of a compensated barrel but would rather not have to purchase a whole new pistol.
thanks !
Whole new pistol? Try this instead?

Thanks. I know there is a 3rd party solution but was wondering about the real Springfield parts. Springfield doesn’t seem to sell parts like Sig does.

Anytime. Oh, good! For whatever reason, SA doesn't sell many actual parts except mags, a few holsters, grips and optics. Here's a link to Springfield Armory Store if you don't have it.

Anyone know if SA plans to sell an RDP upgrade kit for those of us who purchased the Hellcat OSP? I’d like the idea of a compensated barrel but would rather not have to purchase a whole new pistol.
thanks !
I found a place called opticsplanet.com selling True barrels, they had different colored threaded barrels and compensators, also the best prices I saw looking around the net. I was thinking of converting my standard cat osp to a rdp. I'm not sure if it would be drop in procedure and ready to go ?

Last edited:
Aftermarket threaded barrels don't have the machined notch that the SA RDP compensator needs to latch in place.
You can use aftermarket comps and barrels, but some other way of locking it will be needed.
I saw one with an O ring that crushes in the end of their thread protector. Some comps have set screws or lock nuts for this.
The Hellcat RDP uses a new-to-me locking latch that will become popular in the future with many gun companies.
It works.
I'd just keep badgering Springfield to sell me a barrel and comp. If they don't like the idea they could always price them higher to make up for their trouble.

Aftermarket threaded barrels don't have the machined notch that the SA RDP compensator needs to latch in place.
You can use aftermarket comps and barrels, but some other way of locking it will be needed.
I saw one with an O ring that crushes in the end of their thread protector. Some comps have set screws or lock nuts for this.
The Hellcat RDP uses a new-to-me locking latch that will become popular in the future with many gun companies.
It works.
I'd just keep badgering Springfield to sell me a barrel and comp. If they don't like the idea they could always price them higher to make up for their trouble.

"You can use aftermarket comps and barrels, but some other way of locking it will be needed."
- Some GS sell separate lock nuts and threaded barrel caps or protectors and there's a special heat proof thread locker available too. There's many different comps with different fastening requirements. It can really pay off in the end avoid headaches to read all instructions on each one unless already familiar with the particular one in mind. Some comps for 1911's need no threaded barrel for example.

"I'd just keep badgering Springfield to sell me a barrel and comp. If they don't like the idea they could always price them higher to make up for their trouble."
- Am not thinking SA's set up for some retail parts sales, but never know, they can be a sneaky lot? Is a good idea though, where there's a need or desire, there's generally can be a sale in hand too? Look what happened with the Hex optics for example? :)

- Am not thinking SA's set up for some retail parts sales, but never know, they can be a sneaky lot?
I know. Still, they are leaving a lot of aftermarket money on the table. They may be protecting the RDP sales by not offering up the barrels separately.
People could always sell off their standard and buy the OSP or RDP instead. Lots of CCW buyers don't want the longer barrel, comp or red dot. They'll buy your Hellcat. If the Hex Wasp doesn't suit you, sell it off too.
That's what Gunbroker.com is for.

I know. Still, they are leaving a lot of aftermarket money on the table. They may be protecting the RDP sales by not offering up the barrels separately.
People could always sell off their standard and buy the OSP or RDP instead. Lots of CCW buyers don't want the longer barrel, comp or red dot. They'll buy your Hellcat. If the Hex Wasp doesn't suit you, sell it off too.
That's what Gunbroker.com is for.

Is understandable. Part of it may be is Hellcat's made in Croatia and imported by SA? The other end of the chain, the exporter, may not be so simple or agreeable to the idea or thought? And possibly a lot more involved than some people may realize?

It works.
It’s not going to happen. Badgering will get you nowhere besides on someone’s sh(oo)t list, and make them unlikely to assist you in the future.

Acting entitled is a bad look.

Springfield never has sold aftermarket parts such as barrels, etc…and it’s highly unlikely they’re going to start.

It’s not going to happen. Badgering will get you nowhere besides on someone’s sh(oo)t list, and make them unlikely to assist you in the future.

Acting entitled is a bad look.

Springfield never has sold aftermarket parts such as barrels, etc…and it’s highly unlikely they’re going to start.
It was a figure of speech.
I already have an RDP.
Thanks..

Most decisions like this boil down to company leadership’s vision to read the market, a desire to fill the need, and a way to deliver. Then they need to cut through any internal challenges. Often times in big companies there are different groups that manage different aspects of the business, and they don’t always collaborate well. I imagine the accessory retail sales group is different people than the product designers, procurement/supply chain, operations, etc.

SA saw the need for the RDP so they obviously understand the Hellcat had room for improvement and listened to what people were asking for.

SA sells the Hex Wasp, magazines, lasers, holsters, and other accessories on their shop. Clearly it isn’t a stretch to add threaded barrels and compensators to an already existing retail site. Sadly I have never seen SA sell threaded barrels aftermarket. You’d think that would be a no-brainer so perhaps it is actually a legal issue for a manufacturer.

Perhaps we aren’t seeing gun parts for sale to the aftermarket due to legal challenges retail selling imported gun parts from Croatia in the US. Importing firearms as a manufacturer is an entirely different FFL license than retail selling firearms and parts directly. Perhaps SA can’t sell parts to the public for this reason. Might be worth reaching out to SA’s shop directly.

One other thought… if they’d distribute parts to gun smiths for repair work, then maybe that is a viable avenue for getting a barrel and compensator. Does SA do all of their own repair work or do they support independent gun smiths?

Most decisions like this boil down to company leadership’s vision to read the market, a desire to fill the need, and a way to deliver. Then they need to cut through any internal challenges. Often times in big companies there are different groups that manage different aspects of the business, and they don’t always collaborate well. I imagine the accessory retail sales group is different people than the product designers, procurement/supply chain, operations, etc.

SA saw the need for the RDP so they obviously understand the Hellcat had room for improvement and listened to what people were asking for.

SA sells the Hex Wasp, magazines, lasers, holsters, and other accessories on their shop. Clearly it isn’t a stretch to add threaded barrels and compensators to an already existing retail site. Sadly I have never seen SA sell threaded barrels aftermarket. You’d think that would be a no-brainer so perhaps it is actually a legal issue for a manufacturer.

Perhaps we aren’t seeing gun parts for sale to the aftermarket due to legal challenges retail selling imported gun parts from Croatia in the US. Importing firearms as a manufacturer is an entirely different FFL license than retail selling firearms and parts directly. Perhaps SA can’t sell parts to the public for this reason. Might be worth reaching out to SA’s shop directly.

One other thought… if they’d distribute parts to gun smiths for repair work, then maybe that is a viable avenue for getting a barrel and compensator. Does SA do all of their own repair work or do they support independent gun smiths?

Am sure there's good reason for SA's thoughts. Maybe in adequate inventory or the space and time it can up take too? From my perspective, companies are like children, they all have different needs, requirements and values. They all grow at different rates as well. The folks at SA are an attentive, intelligent and innovative group of people from my experience and understanding. They'll likely do what's best for their child at the time.

Back