testtest

Will Steel Cased Ammo Hurt Your Gun

I'd run it in a .308 AR or maybe the M1A...but probably not my HK's unless there was no other choice.

I would if I needed or had to just like we discussed earlier the extractor/ejector would be the only concern and a mild cost at best. I’ve bought and saved up 7.62 brass ammo for awhile. Now, that HK will eat up anything. If I was to shoot it through something it would be your HK

I plan a big score in a few weeks when a upstate PD comes down for rifle classes. All they shoot is 308 and federal the good stuff. I should be able to get 5gal bucket full:)

Excellent video. I've run steel exclusively through my SKS and AK's, but never in any of my handguns. Now that 9 mm prices are insane (if you can even find it), I've strongly considered running steel in my pistols. I've managed to pick up some of the Academy store brand (Monarch) and a few boxes of Tulammo. I've heard great things about Barnaul ammo, but the only pistol cartridge I've been able to find is 40 S&W.

My late brother had acquired a considerable number of Wolf steel 5.56 to shoot in his Olympic Arms AR-15. He thought it a great price. Every fourth or fifth round would stick in the chamber upon firing. Really fun knocking a spent case out with a cleaning rod. I took all that ammunition, pulled the bullets and dumped the powder in an old powder jug. I weighed the powder charge (no idea what type it was), and reloaded all those bullets in once fired brass hulls. It functioned flawlessly after that. Then he noticed a little thing in the owners manual, something about voiding the warranty if steel cased ammunition was fired in it. The old Soviet Bloc countries have manufactured and used used steel ammunition in their AK platforms since day one, the AK / SKS is somehow designed to function with that ammo. Brass, being less hard than steel, will spring back to a smaller dimension than a steel case will after firing. I'll "stick" to brass hulls in my firearms.

Regards,
Bill

My late brother had acquired a considerable number of Wolf steel 5.56 to shoot in his Olympic Arms AR-15. He thought it a great price. Every fourth or fifth round would stick in the chamber upon firing. Really fun knocking a spent case out with a cleaning rod. I took all that ammunition, pulled the bullets and dumped the powder in an old powder jug. I weighed the powder charge (no idea what type it was), and reloaded all those bullets in once fired brass hulls. It functioned flawlessly after that. Then he noticed a little thing in the owners manual, something about voiding the warranty if steel cased ammunition was fired in it. The old Soviet Bloc countries have manufactured and used used steel ammunition in their AK platforms since day one, the AK / SKS is somehow designed to function with that ammo. Brass, being less hard than steel, will spring back to a smaller dimension than a steel case will after firing. I'll "stick" to brass hulls in my firearms.

Regards,
Bill
The US used steel casings for a while in WW2, as well...mainly in .45.

The US used steel casings for a while in WW2, as well...mainly in .45.
That is true. For a time, brass was in short supply, and they had to "make do". I have in my collection of goodies a box of Remington 12 Ga shotshells from WWII. A full box, and unopened by my Dad, it has a factory note in it stating "Due to the brass requirements of the military, these shotshells are manufactured with steel cups". For a time in that war, you couldn't get any civilian ammunition to speak of. All brass went to military ammunition. I might have to look through Hatcher's Notes again to see if there is anything written on the steel cased GI ammo.

Regards,
Bill

Back