testtest

with optics

halman

Alpha
Founding Member
does anyone cc with a pistol with optics? any problems or tips? planning on replacing my xds 45 with the hellcat, but now my eyes need (or like) optics

I CC a .40 mod 2 with Vortex Venom. I have great vision, and excellent with Iron sights. The ease of use and a bigger sight picture is just more efficient for me. I need efficiency, precision and able to see my target clearly and whats behind it. So far I don't have any concerns or complications CC with a micro dot.
Go with what makes you comfortable to shoot with. Just don't get that flimsy flip up micro dot out there.

I like my laser.

My concern with a red dot is, lint/dust/dirt on the lens that would obscure the target (potentially). I end up cleaning my XDs about once a week, carried IWB in kydex, just because of clothing lint and environmental dust. I can't (especially as one who wears eyeglasses) imagine how much dust a dot lens would accumulate in EDC!

I am presently looking into getting a EDC with a RDO. The Hellcat would be great but unfortunately it is striker fired and I don't like striker fired hand guns. SCCY is supposed to be coming out with a RDO equiped compact pistol in the $350 range and it is hammer fired DAO.

I like my laser.

My concern with a red dot is, lint/dust/dirt on the lens that would obscure the target (potentially). I end up cleaning my XDs about once a week, carried IWB in kydex, just because of clothing lint and environmental dust. I can't (especially as one who wears eyeglasses) imagine how much dust a dot lens would accumulate in EDC!
i hadnt thought of the lint problem. i should have being as i use a clipdraw on my xds 45. im still trying to find those pants that have lintless pockets...............

I carry with a dot and I recommend it. I will probably do a "one mans experience carrying with a dot" kind of post this weekend, but the short answer is that with a decent dot for most people, non of the things you think will go wrong will go wrong, and most of the issues are theoretical in nature, as opposed to practical.

I swear by my auto-on Viridian laser. Magnet switch on the laser, magnet in the holster. Draw, it lights automatically. I set elevation and windage to zero it in at around 20 feet. If I have to fire from cover and can't create a good, traditional sight picture...I simply place the dot on the target, and pull the trigger.

Yes, it could technically give away my location if I hold it on target long enough before firing. But I don't plan to have it on target that long, before firing.

That said...I hope this is all an exercise in academics and I never have to put it into practice.

Get some good training on it, halman, from an instructor who is noted for their proficiency with "window guns," and I guaranty that you won't end up having *any* of the concerns you have. :)

Yes, the pic is not mine but mine nearly identical. H-S Precision VP Varmint Pistol in 7mm-08. Laser gun.

K0cRKHB.jpg

I put a Venom on my Q5. That is just an insanely accurate pistol. I don't carry really carry it. If I were going to I would either put a DPP on it or go back with the iron sights.

Back