testtest

Would you buy a Canik?

i did, and i have...the first was the TP9SF, then i got rid of it, cuz i wanted something else.

last year, i bought the (then new model) METE SFx.

i love it, shoots great, great trigger.

however yes too, getting parts from the importer, Century Arms is not easy and you really must just sit an wait.

it's not the importer but the factory that is having supply issues.

right now, due to a new state law, we can only have 10 rd mags, so like any other Canik part i wanted..??

i am on the emailing list for when they come in.

but for a good dependable great shooting gun..??

you get a great deal for the pricing

@KillerFord1977 if i recall, wants to buy a couple from all the great things he hears about the Canik brand, from owners like me and others.

yet, he hesitates.....??

he's gonna be sorry, when the prices increase, and the Caniks will be as hard to come by as the SA-35 and Garrison, and Ronin....
He’s already got a Turkish gun. He bought the SA-35.

Not Canik, but my MKE HK clones rock.

And, honestly, I’m willing to bet that anyone who complains about Turkey has bought guns or ammo from another country with equally questionable actions towards the US…they just choose to ignore/haven’t done the research.
Personally my issue isn't with the politics of Turkey. I mean I buy Russian vaccuum tubes and firearms. And no I don't mean I think the Turks are our friends or anything. My issue is a preconceived, possibly erroneous, opinion of their firearms based soley on their shotguns. Which frankly are junk.

He’s already got a Turkish gun. He bought the SA-35.
01888919-7614-4387-A79E-1500719C5528.gif

Canik makes a fine handgun. Shortly before Covid, I got intrigued by the TP9SFx. I had none of the FTF problems often expounded on by online pro's. Best shooting pistol I have besides my 1911's. Followed up several months later with the TP9 Elite SC. This also has been problem free, and an excellent purchase. Recently Picked up The Rival and the SF Mete. I have been an XD shooter as far as striker fired plastic guns, they fit me well. But I am selling my 9mm XD's, for several reasons, mag compatibility is one, and switching over to Canik. I find the Canik to be extremely reliable and the triggers are the best. When we have American made electronics controlling Russian missiles, I think it's safe to say that it's a world market. Century has been distributing Canik for 10 years, they have alot more parts available on line than most other gun companies. I am keeping my XD .45's, shoot them well and I have a lot of money spent on PRP parts to make the triggers acceptable. IMO, Springfield has dropped the ball on the XD .45. Don't believe the Internet trap flappers, the Canik is an outstanding Pistol, and a bargain once again with prices starting to drop.

Wife has the METE. When I first held it, the grips felt Glock-ish to me. After shooting it, I was impressed by accuracy, trigger and low recoil.

She is comfortable with it, and I feel much better about this pistol being her primary defense weapon on the nights I am unable to be here. 20 rounds of dissuasion and I have confidence it will function should the need arise.

She finds it easy to rack compared to other 9mm strikers we own. Best of all, she is willing to go to the range and train with it. That's the kind of thing that helps my mind.

The only Canik products I own are two CZ75 clones (full-size & compact) that were imported by TriStar. The fit and finish on these guns was much higher than I expected for the price, and they have both been 100% reliable. They both also use CZ or MecGar magazines, which are cheap and easy to find.

Canik seems to be focusing on their striker-fired polymer guns recently, but new CZ clones still show up every now and then. I don't know much about their polymer lines, but I highly recommend Canik's metal pistols.

Personally my issue isn't with the politics of Turkey. I mean I buy Russian vaccuum tubes and firearms. And no I don't mean I think the Turks are our friends or anything. My issue is a preconceived, possibly erroneous, opinion of their firearms based soley on their shotguns. Which frankly are junk.
When I worked for Mossberg they used to buy their over/under and side by side shotguns from a Turkish company. I have no idea of the name of Turkish company as I had nothing to do with them except running the department that repackaged them for shipping.
I will say this you need to be very careful with wood from Europe as the trees grow in ground poisoned by munitIons from years of war.
The grade 1A walnut from Europe is beautiful wood just don’t sand it without breathing protection.
The birch and beech wood from Europe is junk.

When I worked for Mossberg they used to buy their over/under and side by side shotguns from a Turkish company. I have no idea of the name of Turkish company as I had nothing to do with them except running the department that repackaged them for shipping.
I will say this you need to be very careful with wood from Europe as the trees grow in ground poisoned by munitIons from years of war.
The grade 1A walnut from Europe is beautiful wood just don’t sand it without breathing protection.
The birch and beech wood from Europe is junk.
I didn't know that. I'm glad I never bought a Mossberg O/U.

Turkey made, no spare magazines around but would you own one?
I use a Canik Rival for competitive shooting at a local club. Good price point, reliable for me, marketed for competition with 5” bbl to meet IDPA, IPSC, and USPSA requirements and great trigger out of the box. Magazines are slowly making their way to retail stores. Bought 5(3 in July/2 last week) from Scheels (they’ve been a reliable in-stock source). Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find a handgun from a US Mfg that isn’t more expensive and then spending even more to have the trigger tuned.

and that sadly, is thier downfall.

if the gun was not dependable, i'd have not bought this second one.

too, as i mentioned my state's "butt-sitters" at the state house that conjure up laws for our own good, make it nearly impossible for me to take this Canik to the public range, as they would be "complicit" in breaking the 10 round magazine law, recently passed.

but i still have 180 days to do something, like take it to the range several more times, and have a blast with it, and the 18 and 20 round mags.

i can always take it to the private club, as i am always by myself there.....meaning, no one to be "complicit" with my breaking the law, and being a felon doing so......

ain't that a kick, i am a legal gun owner, a tried and proven and licensed CCW holder, and yet, i'll be a felon for having a high capacity magazine, or 2, or 3, or 40.......

a lawsuit has been filed by a law firm, who's many lawyers, ARE gun owners themselves, for this state to have NOT grandfathered in previous ownership.
It sux - we pay the penalty for the 1% of criminals that by their very nature do not obey the law. The NM Legislature tried last session and failed to ban standard capacity mags. Need to go back to Texas or move to Missouri (a 2nd amendment sanctuary state) I know - preaching to the choir.

i did, and i have...the first was the TP9SF, then i got rid of it, cuz i wanted something else.

last year, i bought the (then new model) METE SFx.

i love it, shoots great, great trigger.

however yes too, getting parts from the importer, Century Arms is not easy and you really must just sit an wait.

it's not the importer but the factory that is having supply issues.

right now, due to a new state law, we can only have 10 rd mags, so like any other Canik part i wanted..??

i am on the emailing list for when they come in.

but for a good dependable great shooting gun..??

you get a great deal for the pricing

@KillerFord1977 if i recall, wants to buy a couple from all the great things he hears about the Canik brand, from owners like me and others.

yet, he hesitates.....??

he's gonna be sorry, when the prices increase, and the Caniks will be as hard to come by as the SA-35 and Garrison, and Ronin....
Actually, Canik magazines are made by mec-gar.

That sux. I would surmise that mec-gar is focusing on filling the non-nanny states *needs*. Of course if the morons in dc have their way, 10 rd is all they’ll be making

That sux. I would surmise that mec-gar is focusing on filling the non-nanny states *needs*. Of course if the morons in dc have their way, 10 rd is all they’ll be making
and THAT IS a huge problem, as many more states got onto the mag limit bandwagon, in recent weeks.

The federal ban on large-capacity magazines has ended. However, nine states and the District of Columbia have enacted laws banning large-capacity magazines. These states are California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Vermont.

njow, my state IS NOT in this list yet, and neither is Washington state. God only knows how many others have passed mag limits, that still have to be included into this short list.

frankly, for if no other reason, MecGar just NEEDS to produce low capacity limits magazines.

i see a disturbing trend where many more states, especially those not 2A friendly, will pass these laws.

I don’t know. In a big picture kind of way I think firearm manufacturers ought to stop selling guns and related accessories in all anti gun states. Then maybe people would start leaving those states. Like they should.

And if the only mags available are 17 rd. then making them illegal is effectively denying people a constitutional right. I think pro 2A activists would be better served spending their time and energy trying to get the SCOTUS to rule on magazine bans.

I don’t know. In a big picture kind of way I think firearm manufacturers ought to stop selling guns and related accessories in all anti gun states. Then maybe people would start leaving those states. Like they should.

And if the only mags available are 17 rd. then making them illegal is effectively denying people a constitutional right. I think pro 2A activists would be better served spending their time and energy trying to get the SCOTUS to rule on magazine bans.
yes, in my state, a law firm, where many of the lawyers are avid shooters, they put together a lawsuit and if i recall, have it on file(??) with the US Supreme court. hopefully this lawsuit will either strike down or will at least give us "grandfathering rights" which was never afforded us, they took that way too.

if i COULD afford to move away, i WOULD, but too many obstacles in me and the wife's way right now to do any such thing.

Turkey made, no spare magazines around but would you own one?

I've three Caniks. I EDC the TP9 Elite Subcompact. I initially had issues with finding the larger capacity mags for this particular handgun. It was the larger mags that were scarce (15 round mags). I ended up buying what was available - 4 x 10-rnd restricted mags. I removed the restriction lugs with a dremel, giving me 12-round capacity (we are not restricted in my state but I needed mags, so I bought the limited mags). The gun comes with 1 x 15-rnd mag and 1 x 12-rnd mag.

My two other Caniks are full-sized and are older products. Mags for those two Caniks are plentiful since that particular model of Canik has existed maybe 7-8 years.

Keep in mind that many gun manufactures contract with magazine maker companies such as Mecgar to manufacture and supply the magazines. When those companies get backlogged or if their shipments get blocked, it affects any upstream requirements as well. Mecgar provides mags to a large chunk of the world's gun makers, so this wasn't just an issue with Canik.

I posted on one of Century Arms' social media pages (maybe Twitter or FB) and asked why they were having issues. Century Arms is the US importer for Canik. A rep stated that Mecgar supplies the mags and that Mecgar was having issues keeping up with demand and initially also had issues with their shipments being negatively impacted by shipment delays and embargos.

Back