testtest

Would you own a Taurus handgun?

I have owned a Taurus model 44, 8 3/8" revolver for over 30 years now and it has been flawless. I have done ( Minor ) work to 2 Taurus semi auto G whatever they're called and they scream " Budget econo line" to me. Both had/have feeding issues. The RSA is janky to put it kindly and the fit and finish is lacking. It just looks and feels cheap to me. I personally know two other guys who have or had them and also had feeding issues. And there are several guys here who have also had issues. And an inordinate amount of people on firearms forums and blogs report problems. Does that mean they are junk? No. And I am not the authority on what is or isn't appropriate for people to use for SD. It does mean I would never buy one and certainly would never rely on one to save my a$$. And as much as I love my big ol' Taurus .44, if I was to buy another big revolver it wouldn't be a Taurus.

I've owned about a half dozen Taurus products over the years, still have 2 of them, the others were sold off to friends that really liked them. My 4" .357 Tracker was my carry gun for about 12 years. Recently retired it to carry a 10mm XDm. I have had no problems with them ever and would not hesitate to buy or carry another. In fact, I'm looking for the newest target version of the TX22 .

I had one of there 1911’s in stainless in 9mm, great shooter, my brother-in-law kept hounding me for it, so I sold it to him, it’s been about 8 years now, he still shoots it and never had an issue, to be totally honest, I have had more issues with S&W over the years then with a Taurus, just saying.

I had one of there 1911’s in stainless in 9mm, great shooter, my brother-in-law kept hounding me for it, so I sold it to him, it’s been about 8 years now, he still shoots it and never had an issue, to be totally honest, I have had more issues with S&W over the years then with a Taurus, just saying.
I would carry my stainless PT1911 (45) everyday but it is heavy, RO compact most days.

why? Do tell of your experience with them.
I am no expert but I consider revolvers to be a little more forgiving when it come to quality concerns. If I am going to carry a gun which does not impress me in the quality department, It probably wont be a semi auto. Its simply an engineering thing as semi autos have a little more going on.

The wording of the question, the question itself, is a smear against Taurus.
Just on this forum alone there must be 15 people having issues with their Taurus semi-autos. It's up to 3 people now that I know personally in real life that have had or do have issues with theirs and there are hundreds of people around all the other gun forums having problems. It's not a smear if it's true.

I focused on semi-autos in my original answer. I also own a Taurus 856 and a 7-shot Model 66. Neither of these guns have ever failed me, but the round counts are significantly lower than my semi-autos. I have always meant to shoot them more often, but at the current prices for .357 Mag/38 Special it's going to be a long time before I put too many rounds through them.

Own 3 of them. A 689 revolver in .357 which is amazing in how well it shoots and dead accurate. Too big and heavy for an EDC though so bought a G2S and really love that little 9mm. Eats anything I feed it without a hiccup and has been my EDC until I decided I wanted just a little more "firepower" (capacity) and bought a G3C as my Christmas present to myself. At first it had a little bit of a hiccup feeding JHP but some thorough cleaning and lube and a few more boxes of FMJ to help break it in and now my JHP feeds just fine. Only other issue is the front sight doesn't want to stay tight so may try some Loctite Red on it rather than blue.
So now my EDC alternates between the 2. Though now that it's getting warmer I find the slightly slimmer and lighter G2S is my "go to". I don't like the trigger on the G2s though. Finding it "notchy". But, honestly if it was a "must shoot" situation I don't think I would notice. Though the trigger on the G3C is amazing in comparison.
Bottom line is I now own 3 and trust 2 of them nearly daily to protect me

If they'd either put an ambidextrous safety on them or no safety I'd buy one. Being left handed the last Taurus I purchased was the P24/7 G2C with ambi controls. Not one issue and I keep the 17 round mag in it in my nightstand. Carry my Hellcat and my S&W's in the safe. Shot the Shield Plus and that trigger is nice.

When I hear Taurus, I hear Walmart......as in cheeeeeep. But the street thugs seem to do
damage with them. Plus, I'm a 1911 guy. But I would own one rather than be without.
Street thugs do damage with Hi-Points too. That doesn't mean the are reliable.

For sure there are guys who have Taurus G2s that run flawlessly, just like there are guys that have never had issues with their Hi-Points and Para Ordinance. But a cursory look around the net and even in this forum will show that a ton of guys are having feeding problems with them. And I've had a few apart. They do scream " Cheap" to me.

As I mentioned early, I have a 30+ year old Taurus model 44 with an 8 3/8" barrel that has been flawless. I just don't like or trust their semi autos.

I don't know. I have had my Taurus G2s apart right next to my brother's S&W M&P Shield. Could not find any discernible difference in quality between them. He has also reported feeding issues with certain types of JHP as well.

Back