testtest

WW2 Original Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are priceless. You and your wife should make contact with the WWII museum in New Orleans La. I'm a charter member and sponsored my father who was a 2nd Lt. Co-Pilot in the U.S. Army Air Corp (even bought a brick with his name, rank and inscription, place in the sidewalks that surround the museum buildings). Anyways, I digress, the museum would love to have copies of those I'm sure (they'd most likely like the originals, but I'm sure your wife wants to keep them as a keepsake.). I've not visited the museum, but it was by a friend who said it was very good. They do lectures, tours to Normandy (and the like), they restored a PT Boat for rides in the near by lake, restored a Sherman Tank, etc. You guys might want to considering getting in touch, at worse, they could probably provide more information on the photos, location, people in the photos, etc.

Those are priceless. You and your wife should make contact with the WWII museum in New Orleans La. I'm a charter member and sponsored my father who was a 2nd Lt. Co-Pilot in the U.S. Army Air Corp (even bought a brick with his name, rank and inscription, place in the sidewalks that surround the museum buildings). Anyways, I digress, the museum would love to have copies of those I'm sure (they'd most likely like the originals, but I'm sure your wife wants to keep them as a keepsake.). I've not visited the museum, but it was by a friend who said it was very good. They do lectures, tours to Normandy (and the like), they restored a PT Boat for rides in the near by lake, restored a Sherman Tank, etc. You guys might want to considering getting in touch, at worse, they could probably provide more information on the photos, location, people in the photos, etc.
I would be definitely interested in sharing these with the museum I'll chat with the wife as these are hers.

I would be definitely interested in sharing these with the museum I'll chat with the wife as these are hers.
Hey 10, that's great, Here's their website. I'd start with the "contact us" at the bottom of the website:

Hey 10, that's great, Here's their website. I'd start with the "contact us" at the bottom of the website:

There's roughly 50 or more photos in the collection.

That is VERY cool.

Dad was on the Essex in Korea (Cdr-USN/ret), and before we lost him he gave me his Essex "yearbook" which is exactly what it says it is - a yearbook from a couple of the campaigns where the ship served in Korea (dad served 4 campaigns total in Korea). Some of those photos look like they'd be right at home in such a book.

I'd have to look to see who published dad's Essex book, not sure if it was private sector or a Navy production, but there are similarly amazing images in that book.

We need to keep ALL of this stuff alive. We are losing so much of our history to our current "educational" system, and the politics entrenched therein, that I truly fear we'll lose most of it forever if we don't steward it ourselves. Keep them, share copies of them, get copies to museums and organizations, but most importantly KEEP the originals and make sure to pass them down to future generations, and make sure they know the magnitude of what those images mean, and what they were a part of.

Not dad's, but here's the same book that a google search turned up - Essex Epic:

s-l1600.jpg

I'm no expert in the field but from what I've seen online this looks like a Japanese I-400 class submarine. The bow of the sub has that raised track used to launch sea planes which are stored internally.
20200227_111146.jpg

Japan had 4 subs in I-400 class built that were all taken by the US after the war and sunk before Russia could study them.

Last edited:
My maternal Grandparents had a Colliers Photographic History of World War 2 when I was a kid. When I was a kid I'd always get it out and look through this published album full of pictures.

When they passed the only item I wanted was this album. Still have it and I see pictures online that are in this album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back