testtest

XDm Elite 10mm 4.5 barrel, YOUR THOUGHTS!

Nevadasun

Operator
I just joined the forum and haven't had time to research this subject, yet. I've purchased several Springfield handguns in the past and have had very, very few problems.
So, I have a birthday coming up next week and I have permission from the boss to get the Springfield 10mm. From various testimonies and YouTube video's this handgun seems to be preferred over the S&W, SIG or Glock. Just so you know, I'm also a SIG fan, but people seem to prefer the Springfield.
From the vast wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum is there ANY reason why I shouldn't go down this path?

Thanks

I have the smith 2.0 in 10 (4") along with a g20, g40 and an xdm (5.25" precision). I've had the smith for almost a year and haven't shot it much (due to time) and the g20 and 40 are good guns, but I don't like the poly mags. The SA 10 has run 100% great and I'll give it a + with the ss mags. What I don't like is the grip safety. Forget the x10 (well not entirely) but having a 226 in 45 converted to 10 would be my choice if possible!

I just joined the forum and haven't had time to research this subject, yet. I've purchased several Springfield handguns in the past and have had very, very few problems.
So, I have a birthday coming up next week and I have permission from the boss to get the Springfield 10mm. From various testimonies and YouTube video's this handgun seems to be preferred over the S&W, SIG or Glock. Just so you know, I'm also a SIG fan, but people seem to prefer the Springfield.
From the vast wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum is there ANY reason why I shouldn't go down this path?

Thanks
If your talking guns you’re in the right place and choosing the XDM 4.5 10mm is a perfect choice.
I have the XDM Elite compact 3.8 10mm and the same gun in 45ACP as well as the XDM 4.5 in 45ACP

Welcome to the forum from Kentucky.

Thanks

I have the smith 2.0 in 10 (4") along with a g20, g40 and an xdm (5.25" precision). I've had the smith for almost a year and haven't shot it much (due to time) and the g20 and 40 are good guns, but I don't like the poly mags. The SA 10 has run 100% great and I'll give it a + with the ss mags. What I don't like is the grip safety. Forget the x10 (well not entirely) but having a 226 in 45 converted to 10 would be my choice if possible!
Seems you have considerable experience with 10mm handguns. This is what I was looking for, someone with first hand knowledge. You bring up the grip safety, apparently it's a feature that people have no opinion about, or they don't like it at all. For me, it's a non-issue.
Sportsman's Wearhouse has a special edition model, that is, the slide is Cerakoted in "OD". Guess I just like being a little different. It's $60.00 more, but for me, a 10mm is a one time purchase.

Thanks for the input.

If your talking guns you’re in the right place and choosing the XDM 4.5 10mm is a perfect choice.
I have the XDM Elite compact 3.8 10mm and the same gun in 45ACP as well as the XDM 4.5 in 45ACP

Welcome to the forum from Kentucky.
Thanks for the welcome, Keystone.

Attachments

• DSC_6561.JPGa.JPG
    DSC_6561.JPGa.JPG
    445.3 KB · Views: 95
I'm a recent owner of an XD-M Elite OSP in 10mm, Cerakoted it in MAGPUL OD Green, like the Sportsman Warehouse Exclusive model, except I also coated the frame.
20230112_122956.jpg

I also installed the Powder River Precision Trigger Kit that really improved the trigger, shortened the take-up, pull, over-travel and reset, reduced trigger pull force and made it smoother....

I don't have any experience, other than this with 10mm, but Its like my other XD-M's except in 10mm, so if you like XD-M's or inclined toward XD-M's, you should like the XD-M Elite OSP 10mm....

One note on XD-M's and XD's, that grip safety, it locks the sear in place, so when the stiker is cocked the sear is locked if your hands are off it, so this plus the firing pin block assures if the pistol gets bumped, dropped, etc.. it won't fire unintended.... ...so the XD-M / XD is a true single action trigger, and IMO a safe SA action....

Glock and FN do a half-cock and the trigger is long and gritty because of that.... ....that assures if the striker somehow gets nocked off the sear, it doesn't have enough energy from the half-cock to fire the round... ...so safe, but not that great of a trigger...

Not sure on the others....

Sig P320's are single action, striker fully cocked just has a firing pin block and a half notch in the sear, and no blade safety on the trigger either, but a Sig P320 wouldn't fire uncommanded with no hands on it, ever :whistle:

But despite this design having such an advantage to make a great single action trigger, its just a pretty good trigger, not a great one... ...the Powder River Precision kit really helps, just swaps out a few parts and springs, and you have several options in the springs to achieve the desired pull weight, and it makes all the difference...

Also, the XD/M grip safety is smaller and less spring load than a 1911 grip safety's, it is literally unnoticeable. It will clear only being pushed in 2/3 of the way.... ....if the grip safety somehow keeps you from firing, you have to be doing something really wrong in your grip on the pistol....

The only time I have been pinched by it, is when I put it in the rack in my crowded safe, that has me angling my hand an unnatural way as I put in the rack that is higher than the overhang for the safe door and then it doesn't hurt even enough to say ow, let alone leave a mark...

Last edited:
CCI / Blazer Brass 10mm, its has the highest Muzzle Velocity of the commonly available 10mm ammo....

Yes, there are others with even higher MV, but you likely won't find them on store shelves and they will be expensive..

For some reason, Federal that you usually can never go wrong with, is one of the lowest muzzle velocities in 10mm, they are one of the highest of most other cartridges, but not 10mm..

So I stocked up on CCI/Blazer Brass 10mm, its cheaper than the Federal as well, and has been just as reliable for me...

The next time you see a 9mm vs .45 ACP debate....

Just post this....
CalBrandModelPart NumTypeMassMVPFKE
9 MMFederalAmerican EagleAE9APFMJ1241150142600364
.45 ACPFederalAmerican EagleAE45AFMJ230890204700404
10 MMCCIBlazer Brass5221FMJ1801200216000575

10MM is almost as much mass as .45ACP and the same velocity as 9mm if not more....
The Kinetic Energy (KE) and Power Factor (PF) speaks for themselves.....

BTW, PF is force (sorta) or momentum just in different units to makes it easier to calculate (Grns times FPS)....

I had mine about 2 weeks. Very accurate but when breaking down I found a rusty spot . Granted it was the back strap roll pin, it was completely orange.
I am very meticulous, white glove clean and store all weapons in safe with desiccants and golden rod. So it came from The dealer or factory that way. IMO unacceptable. I sold it and keep a close eye on the few xds I have left.

I have the XDM Elite OSP 4.5" 10mm. Since day one; Mine shoots very poor groups
at all distances using a large variety of name brand ammo. It shoots very high and to
the left at any distance with the groups being 4" to 5". POA and POI is a joke with this
gun. It pisses me off on how much I spent on this POS. Match Grade Barrel?! Yeah right.
I contacted Springfield TWICE about this Lemon; They gave me the run-around about
not being broke in and other BS like that. My gun IS broke in and I am stuck with it.
It's a very expensive paper weight now....🙁

Thanks
Nothing wrong with any of the guns you mentioned, but for me the XDm seems to distribute the felt recoil a little better then the others, probably due to its grip angle.

No complaints with the pistol but I’m not a real fan of the 10mm primarily because the ammo is expensive and hard to find at any price. Big bullets at high speed equals big recoil and noise which makes it harder to shoot also.
On the other hand it’s a contender if you live or work in bear country.
And yes, I’ve fired thousands of rounds of 10mm…
FWIW…

The next time you see a 9mm vs .45 ACP debate....

Just post this....
CalBrandModelPart NumTypeMassMVPFKE
9 MMFederalAmerican EagleAE9APFMJ1241150142600364
.45 ACPFederalAmerican EagleAE45AFMJ230890204700404
10 MMCCIBlazer Brass5221FMJ1801200216000575

10MM is almost as much mass as .45ACP and the same velocity as 9mm if not more....
The Kinetic Energy (KE) and Power Factor (PF) speaks for themselves.....

BTW, PF is force (sorta) or momentum just in different units to makes it easier to calculate (Grns times FPS)....
I'm going to refer to this chart for future "go nowhere" arguments that we gun people seem to get ourselves into. Thanks.

I have the XDM Elite OSP 4.5" 10mm. Since day one; Mine shoots very poor groups
at all distances using a large variety of name brand ammo. It shoots very high and to
the left at any distance with the groups being 4" to 5". POA and POI is a joke with this
gun. It pisses me off on how much I spent on this POS. Match Grade Barrel?! Yeah right.
I contacted Springfield TWICE about this Lemon; They gave me the run-around about
not being broke in and other BS like that. My gun IS broke in and I am stuck with it.
It's a very expensive paper weight now....🙁
Have to admit, this is the first bad review on this handgun I've seen. What concerns me most is the response from Springfield. NOT good! Just curious, have you installed an optic?

Back