testtest

XDM Elite 3.8" 9mm for concealed carry issues

“Killer recoil”….

LMFAO.

Not even close.

Try a 329 Airweight .44 mag, or a snubby .500 S&W…even an 11iz .357 Mag.

That’ll teach you about “killer recoil”.
+100 on the 329 PD 44 mag.

I changed the grips on mine to the larger X-frame 500 S&W Hogue rubber grips and it made shooting 44 mags more tolerable w/o adding weight hardly any weight from the factory grips. Makes a BIG difference.

Like these.

1680647734264.png

1680648146282.png

But I only load it up with BB 44 mags in it when I carry it up in the hills, and mainly use 44 Specials in it for practice.

Last edited:
Maybe I need to stop looking on YouTube for answers to questions and just ask on forums… according to those people the recoil is killer, I will found out for myself.
Thanks again
My friend there are sooooooooo many factors to consider when filtering the information you re receiving. What was the persons palm and hand size relative to yours? How comfortable were they with their grip? How skilled are they at relaxing their shoulders after the shot, for example, and allowing the firearm to return to the original aiming position? Do they even use that technique? Do you? What was the weight of the ammo they used?

Personally I don't think you really know how you feel about a firearm until you have fired it. An expensive quandary to be sure. It helps to hang around the range, go out with your friends, maybe offer to buy some ammo if they let you try out a particular firearm you are interested in.

I own a Springfield Armory 9mm XDM/Elite with the 3.8 inch barrel and the 20 Round clip. I purchased this after going against my better instincts and buying a new compact XDM .45 Cal because I let myself be influenced by a "Big Bore" fan. I have fat, wide palms and medium stubby fingers. That was NOT a good match. I found myself "man-handling" the pistol and not feeling confident in recurrent accuracy. Since I got my Carry and Conceal mostly to protect my wife and family, this was NOT a working solution. The 9mm XDM is a larger footprint but this actually helps my accuracy a lot! And my fat belly has no problems hiding it In-waist or Out. It fits my hand like a glove and allows me to concentrate on my gaining and regaining my sight picture, which when I stop at the trigger's return break, is spot on!! That combined with Tai Chi breathing keeps me completely center black at 7 - 10 meters.

I am also experimenting with Liberty's Civil Defense +p rounds. I like what I am reading about their stopping power, especially the part where it reduces collateral damage. I have put about 300 down range and I have yet to hit outside the 9 black on the Champion Score Keeper Targets at 25 meters. Most of my shots have been red dead center. That higher speed helps keep the trajectory flatter longer.

Anyway, I'm just saying before you lock down your own opinion, try to get some hands on experience with the firearm. Someone else's issues may be right up your alley.

Two points. If Liberty Civil Defense was all that the FBI and other LEO and operators would use it. They don't. They mostly use Federal HST.

Also, there is no such thing as a 20 round clip for an XDM. There are 20 round magazines, but no "Clips

Slang Bob. Just slang. Plus I am not sure the FBI is the end all an be all of consideration concerning personal defense. Ultimately after safety, what the user is the most comfortable using will play a large part of how effective it is. Comfort will affect whether or not they even carry. Comfort can impact whether a person uses their weapon in an appropriate instance and their accuracy shooting. The pint I was trying to make in my reply to the individual was how personal this is and how they should ultimately be their last authority on what works for them.

Slang Bob. Just slang. Plus I am not sure the FBI is the end all an be all of consideration concerning personal defense. Ultimately after safety, what the user is the most comfortable using will play a large part of how effective it is. Comfort will affect whether or not they even carry. Comfort can impact whether a person uses their weapon in an appropriate instance and their accuracy shooting. The pint I was trying to make in my reply to the individual was how personal this is and how they should ultimately be their last authority on what works for them.
Fair enough. Everything ain’t for everyone.

Fair enough. Everything ain’t for everyone.
True that, true that. Hey since you opened up the subject, I am a Marine Corp Veteran and my MOS put me close to some of the processes responsible for making such decisions as what weapons and strategies to use during missions. That being said, it has been my experience both in the military and in corporate America that the "bean counting" accountants have waaaay to much input on what is or is not used. In short, budget overrides effectiveness, user preference, and sometimes even safety (sad to say). If you want evidence to that effect, ask police unions what their main gripes are and you will see similar threads. Unfortunately the military personnel are not allowed union representations and I am sure the FBI being a federal organization probably doesn't have union representation either. I know as marine I saw many missions where the biggest challenge to success was caused by budget constraints and the "expendable troops" mentality of upper management.

All of that being said, I personally have a lot of grains of salt I feel need to be added to any FBI recommendations. I would actually trust what law enforcement agents and officers use as their back-up firearm (the one they choose and pay for) over what the agencies and departments recommend.

Last edited:
True that, true that. Hey since you opened up the subject, I am a Marine Corp Veteran and my MOS put me close to some of the processes responsible for making such decisions as what weapons and strategies to use during missions. That being said, it has been my experience both in the military and in corporate America that the "bean counting" accountants have waaaay to much input on what is or is not used. In short, budget overrides effectiveness, user preference, and sometimes even safety (sad to say). If you want evidence to that effect, ask police unions what their main gripes are and you will see similar threads. Unfortunately the military personnel are not allowed union representations and I am sure the FBI being a federal organization probably doesn't have union representation either. I know as marine I saw many missions where the biggest challenge to success was caused by budget constraints and the "expendable troops" mentality of upper management.

All of that being said, I personally have a lot of grains of salt I feel need to be added to any FBI recommendations. I would actually trust what law enforcement agents and officers use as their back-up firearm (the one they choose and pay for) over what the agencies and departments recommend.
It’s a good point. A non controlled cursory poll on the subject with the military and LEO guys I train with supports my assertion about Federal HST, though a high percentage of cops I know like Gold Dots.

I have no issues with Gold Dots and wouldn’t hesitate to use them but through my own personal testing with my own .40, .45 and 9MM handguns I settled on HST for all of them.

Good to know. I was looking at Gold Dots but at the time my local shops were out of stock (I guess a testament to their popularity). That's when I found out about the Liberty rounds. I have had no problems although I should add my XDM Elite has a barrel that is designed to handle +p rounds.

Hey if don't mind me asking, what were some of the factors that swayed you to eventually settle on HST for you?

Good to know. I was looking at Gold Dots but at the time my local shops were out of stock (I guess a testament to their popularity). That's when I found out about the Liberty rounds. I have had no problems although I should add my XDM Elite has a barrel that is designed to handle +p rounds.
If it works for your particular weapon that’s all that matters.

Hey if don't mind me asking, what were some of the factors that swayed you to eventually settle on HST for you?
So, on Liberty…

Lightweight, high speed rounds that just blow apart are generally thought to be poor choices, as they tend to produce very shallow wounds. Now, in a perfect, square on, arms not blocking the chest, “bad guy looks like a silhouette target” shot, it probably won’t matter.

But, since you were a Marine…I suspect you know that when it hits the fan, it ain’t gonna be perfect.

If you need to get through an arm, or they are bladed (pointing a weapon at you with one hand)…you’re gonna need a lot of penetration.
168328EB-9C36-443B-9298-676D31EF8A29.jpeg

HST, Gold Dot, Ranger-T (aka Winchester Defender), Golden Saber…these all have proven street cred, involved in hundreds of shoots. Civil Defense? Not so much.

So, on Liberty…

Lightweight, high speed rounds that just blow apart are generally thought to be poor choices, as they tend to produce very shallow wounds. Now, in a perfect, square on, arms not blocking the chest, “bad guy looks like a silhouette target” shot, it probably won’t matter.

But, since you were a Marine…I suspect you know that when it hits the fan, it ain’t gonna be perfect.

If you need to get through an arm, or they are bladed (pointing a weapon at you with one hand)…you’re gonna need a lot of penetration.View attachment 38767

HST, Gold Dot, Ranger-T (aka Winchester Defender), Golden Saber…these all have proven street cred, involved in hundreds of shoots. Civil Defense? Not so much.
Good points all. I had not considered the "bladed" target but you are spot on with that. Inexperienced shooters are also Unpredictable. I was looking at a video the other day. Bullets were going everywhere and no one "involved" was getting hit which was no surprise when you looked at the way they were shooting. After your comment I looked at the video again and I noticed what you were talking about. The perps were shooting backwards with one arm extended while running away. The biggest real estate was their butt! (side note: if you shot them in the butt it would probably hit their spine and paralyze them and you could get sued in civil court). Plus no one involved was worried about collateral damage since everyone in the video was a criminal. SMH... and yet an ignorant civilian wants to tie the hands of a law-abiding citizen further by limiting our defenses with legislation that benefits the criminal since he WON'T be following the laws.s

Back