testtest

XDM Elite 9mm 4.5 Threaded barrel

Jdep28

Alpha
So I’ve had my XDM for a couple months now and I love it! My first gun as well. Just looking to add an optic and also a laser. What do you guys recommend? I want a good balance between saving money and having a quality accessory.

So I’ve had my XDM for a couple months now and I love it! My first gun as well. Just looking to add an optic and also a laser. What do you guys recommend? I want a good balance between saving money and having a quality accessory.
Only real suggestion I can realistically make is to think about what you plan on using them for and graze through articles, blogs, posts here and elsewhere. There are many types out there of either. But, beware? Once adding either or both to your pistol, keep in mind holsters for your particular set up. That in itself can be a humbling experience. There are many custom holster makers out there, but be prepared for sticker shock sometimes. Regardless, a good gun needs a good holster. Good luck on your hunt!

Like Bob said, what is your intended use? Carry gun or range gun? Have you ever had or shot a pistol with an optic on it? Understand that lasers are only realistically useful indoors or in low light conditions. Green is better but still not good in sunny conditions.

I don’t exactly want to carry this one. It’s a little big for that imo. Also never shot a handgun with an optic on it.
By the way, welcome to forum and HI!!
...and SA's XDM's a very nice choice for starting out too!

Possibly try a few optics out of other peoples 1st? Are many of either type optics.

Way to generally begin search?
Start with what exact model of XDM you have and go from there? It is important! - Know your model!
On either optics, Laser sight or optic sight, look for fitment, where's it going to go or is it going to fit? Are there any modifications needed?

Functions are many besides the obvious, for example: on/off, always on, auto on, shake and wake, auto dimming, self adjust dimming, constant strobe and strobe can vary and be adjustable too. Are other functions as well? Like dual purpose lights and laser.....? Think one saw even had a built in back scratcher.....Am kidding! :)

You, for yourself, need to think and plan on what you're intentions are for best results? Ask yourself what for, why? Will whatever work for me? - Target shooting? Home defense or whatever?

Not trying to be hard nosed by any means because there's many choices, pro's/con's to some. Brand loyalties? Some is purely cosmetic, some is fitment, some is how functional for you yourself personally. Good luck on your search!

I used the Aimpoint Acro P-1, had to find an mounting plate specific for it. I moved to the Hex Dragonfly and it fits great and Springfield Armory had the mounting plate in stock. As far as lasers, I'm running a Surefire XC2.
20210116_171057.jpg

I highly suggest heading to a few shops and getting your hands on several optics. Due to variances in design from model-to-model, and variances in vision from person-to-person, some people will have better or worse experiences. This isn't limited to pistol red dots - for example I have a tough time with the definition of EOTECH green reticles to the point that they aren't serviceable, which is a shame. Also, the Trijicon tube red dots look to me like crescent moons drawn by a toddler. If you can swing it, I also suggest buying a quality optic and not focusing too much on saving a dollar. A durable optic can outlast the gun it is mounted to. Personally, I would rather wait a bit and buy premium. If cost is a concern, you may enjoy boxes of ammo more than an optic. One last thing to consider is how often you are going to shoot/train with it. If you shoot infrequently, you might have a better experience with irons. I will echo others and say great choice by the way. The Elite 4.5 is going to be my next pistol purchase.

Last edited:
Back