testtest

XDM Elite OSP 10mm 4.5". Match Grade Barrel? NOPE

AK47MAN

Operator
I went to the range yesterday and bench rested my 10mm 4.5" XDM Elite using six different
name brands of ammo. All FMJ 180gr.
Shooting at 15yds; All of my groups were 3.5" to 4". This is NOT a Match Grade
barrel in these guns! I measured the thickness of my barrel. It was 0.09". This is
the same thickness as a Glock 17 and 19. And they are NOT match grades.
I contacted Springfield today. I asked the rep what makes this barrel Match
Grade? They had to put me on hold. After about seven minutes; The rep came
back on and told me the manufacturing process and tolerances makes this
Match Grade. What a line of crap! Then they asked me if I want to send the gun
in for accuracy testing. I told them no; I already know from shooting this gun
that the groups are not in sync with shooting a Match Grade Barrel.
Any gun manufacturer can stamp MATCH on the barrel and pull one over
on you.
Anybody else out there have this problem?

Last edited:
I went to the range yesterday and bench rested my 10mm 4.5" XDM Elite using six different
barrel in these guns! I measured the thickness of my barrel. It was 0.09". This is
on you.
Barrel thickness does not make any barrel match grade. Match grade is typically the materials used, machining tolerances, fitment etc.

What they told you about match grade barrels isn't crap.

Here's a reference for the term match grade and how it pertains to shooting sports.

Not just anyone can take a pistol to the range and shoot little tiny groups at 15 yards, even if the manufacturer stamped “match grade” on the barrel.

My XDm 10 is very accurate. It will put ten rounds of my reloads in one ragged hole at 15 yard off sand bags. That’s with me shooting it of course.

You want match grade shooting standard fmj ball ammo.....Did you take into consideration that the ammo itself is going to be as non match grade as you can get.
Those projectiles are not all going to be exactly 180gr. Nor is the powder charge going to be exactly the same.
Also your pistol may in fact like a heavier bullet. My 10mm compact shoots the 200gr bullets much better than the 180gr.
There's just too much to pick apart so I'll just stop.

Yea, you just can't go by one brand of ammo, you need to try different ones to see which one your gun prefers....while I don't have that Xdm Elite, I know from experience my S&W 610 shoots the Hornady 155gr XTP great, but not so well with the S&B 180 grainers......also a match grade barrel doesn't mean its a bull barrel type all the time, my Colt Competition model has a match grade barrel and its the same thickness as my other 1911 barrels in .45, its the tolerances and the chamber that makes a standard barrel a match grade barrel

Last edited:
I shot Fiocchi 180gr, MagTech 180gr, Blazer Brass 180gr, Aguila 180gr,
Remington UMC 180gr; And about 6 rounds of Buffalo Bore Heavy 180gr hp's.
All of these were not in tight groups like I wanted.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. My gun has never failed to do anything
except shoot tight groups.

Even Glock makes lemons. Send it back to Springfield or sell it.
EDC98914-EEAA-4F98-8309-14B3D4F1E8E4.gif

on you.
I have the 3.8 version of that gun and it shoots lights out at 15 and 25 yards with groups of 1.5 inches
So I’ll echo what’s been already said.
Send it back to have it looked at or sell it.

When I was building my AR-15 and participating in AR forums, there was a lot of talk about muzzle crown and just merely a nick in the muzzle crown would destroy the barrels accuracy...
The idea is, as the bullet leaves the muzzle, the gas expand out of the open gap behind it, and those gases have to expand perfectly uniform, hitting the round at all sides with the same force, you've got some sort of erosion or gouge in the end where those gases are escaping, so that one sides escapes a little earlier, the gases don't expand uniformly and you have more force one side than the other and it will kick the round off trajectory...
Not hard to imagine any defect in manufacturing with throat, bore, rifling, heck even the chamber could wreck the barrels accuracy....

Bench rest is still far from a bench vice, I still manage to yank shots on a bench rest and ruin my 3 shot group. Not to mention, I have found that beginning my shooting session with my bench rest tests yielded far better results than waiting till the end or even the middle. i.e. getting tired threw off my bench rest accuracy and getting far worse shots...

I have two new 80% frame 1911 builds I just finished, and being very interested in how well I did, as well as zero red dot sights, I did bench rests after shooting 50 rounds to break them in. Was getting 3" or more groups at 25 yards, ok, not bad for my first pistol build from scratch. I went back and tried it fresh, first shots, and I got 1" groups for one and 1.5" groups for the other. And even then I still managed to yank the third shot 4" off, but took a 4th shot that intersected the first shot, so I felt it was fair to discount the 3rd shot and use the 4th, to call that a 1" group at 25 yards.

I also finally invested in a cheap trigger pull weight gauge.. ...holy cow, I was at 8lbs and 9lbs trigger pulls, that was even after bending sear springs to bring them down. So much for my calibrated trigger finger, I have the trigger pulls down to 5lb and 4.5lbs now and I am yanking far less shots and getting far better groups, normal shooting and bench rest, better than a lot of my production pistols...

So, on “Match Grade”.

There is no set definition; “Match Grade” is what the manufacturer says it is.

Additionally, there is more to TRUE match than just tighter tolerances…it requires fitting components together properly.

This is why KKM, Barsto, and other premium barrel manufacturers require barrel fitting.

There is no such thing as a “drop in Match” barrel…

So, on “Match Grade”.

There is no set definition; “Match Grade” is what the manufacturer says it is.

Additionally, there is more to TRUE match than just tighter tolerances…it requires fitting components together properly.

This is why KKM, Barsto, and other premium barrel manufacturers require barrel fitting.

There is no such thing as a “drop in Match” barrel…
You could say a pistol is an entire system, and not one single component determines accuracy, and the shooter themselves is part of the system.

I thought there was some sanctioning body stipulation on the tolerances that make a barrel match grade? Am I wrong on that?

BUT, there is a defect in that system somewhere if he is shooting 4" groups at 15 yards on a bench rest. Though something else off in the pistol could be the cause.

You could say a pistol is an entire system, and not one single component determines accuracy, and the shooter themselves is part of the system.

I thought there was some sanctioning body stipulation on the tolerances that make a barrel match grade? Am I wrong on that?

BUT, there is a defect in that system somewhere if he is shooting 4" groups at 15 yards on a bench rest. Though something else off in the pistol could be the cause.

I am unaware of any set definition/regulations defining “match”.

As for the rest…It can be a lot of things that effect accuracy…but most often?

It’s the “trigger nut”.;)

Last edited:
I am unaware of any set definition/regulations defining “match”.
I could have sworn I read that somewhere, but a quick search has yielded multiple sources saying the same as you, a match grade barrel is what the manufacturer says it is, a good manufacturer will have better barrel and a less reputable manufacturer might be playing fast and loose with terms.

And yes fitting required I guess will depend on the whole manufacturing scheme for the pistol, if you buy a pistol already outfitted with a match grade barrel, they already did the fitting, or they manufactured the pistol within tighter tolerances to achieve the match grade results, I would agree is fair for them to call it match grade.

I did get a Wilson Combat Match Grade barrel for my 80% frame 1911, and it did require fitting. My amateur first time fitting I wasn't hoping for much, but it has shot a 1" group at 25 yards on a bench rest.

My other pistol, I purchased a no name match grade barrel that was a drop in. But it was the tightest drop in I have seen, the slide would cycle with a clank, I had to file a hair off the hood for smooth engagement, but I could have ignored it an just let it wear in.

I have the 3.8 version of that gun and it shoots lights out at 15 and 25 yards with groups of 1.5 inches
So I’ll echo what’s been already said.
Send it back to have it looked at or sell it.
I too have the 4.5in and it shoots 1/2in groups of 5 rounds at 25 yards or 7 yards. It doesn't matter. Also, it does so with ANY brand of ammo I feed it. I don't use a rest. I stand using a tactical grip and stance, and the rounds almost go through the same hole. It's super accurate. It's a shame to hear you're having problems with yours. I would definitely have it checked out. You sound like a fine marksman, so you would know if it were you. I think something is wrong with your gun. I wouldn't accept anything less than the best, especially from Springfield. Best of luck, and I hope you get it fixed. God bless,
Jeff.
P.S. I was using the Hex Dragonfly red dot. But my Irons were spot on from the factory. Just figured I'd give you all the info I have. Take care.

on you.
You posted
[IMG alt="AK47MAN"]https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/data/avatars/m/13/13125.jpg?1659220450[/IMG]

AK47MAN

Operator​

And it is Dead-On POA-POI at 10 and 15yds using Buffalo Bore Heavy 180gr HP's and
Underwood's 180gr HP's. Expensive Dung; But that's what is the most accurate out
of it. It shoots almost as well with MagTech 180gr FMJ's. I am still testing it with other
brands. Many of them. I can't wait for my next range visit.

Back