testtest

You favorite cartridge

SMSgtRod makes some good notes. Also the 380 case is 17mm as opposed to 19mm for the 9mm. Even if you have a gun that will hold the 380 case close to the firing pin, like a Glock for example, you will be likely not have enough pressure to run the slide without seriously reducing your recoil spring weight, and you will be "blowing out" your cases so that they will be a bear to resize without cracking. .40 in 10mm work because the pressure ranges and case diameters more or less overlap.

I‘ve had .380 cases that accidentally went through the 650 and got loaded like a 9mm, and subsequently fired.

The extractor claw will hold the case tight enough to the breech face for it to fire in both a Sig P226 and a HK94 (as I recall...certain on the 94, 90% on the 226). However, it will cause a misfeed on the next round. One primer was flattened, the other blown. Not sure if that’s due to overpressure, the case not held tight to the breech, or a combination of the two.

I wouldn’t recommend it...but I don't think it's very smart to shoot .40 in a 10mm, either.

I really love to load the tiny .380 ACP with 95gr JHP. Sadly, I also like to load 9mm with that same bullet as it’s a blast to shoot. Consequently, I used up nearly all of my 380 bullets on my 9mm. I got smart with my latest order and bought some heavier JHP just for my 9mm. The real benefit of loading the .380ACP is that I can actually feel the cost savings...not so much with the 9mm. With product on sale for $7.49 a box (on occasion), or even at $8.99 pretty frequently...I have to reload for the joy and diversion, and not with any pretense at cost savIngs. And, as you will all likely agree, I’m shooting a lot more since I started reloading.
With .380 a One Pound can Bullseye Powder can go a long way about 1800 rounds of .380 90 grain XTP's with Bullseye Powder start at 3.0 to maximum 3.4 grains. It should do well for you. good luck and have fun.

Something not too often heard of today but was one of my favorites back in the 90's was the .270 Ren. It was a wildcat cartridge built using a .277 projectile (usually 110 - 130 gr) and loaded into a neck sized (expanded) .22 Hornet IIRC. Dang, I loaded and shot quite a few of them back in the silhouette shooting days, but the memory is not what it once was. I do remember I never did get any better results than when loading the .355 projectile into a .38spl/.357mag case.

BTW, I've heard the memory is one of the first two things to go ...... and I can't remember what the second one is!
Ponder that y'all! :cool:

regards,
jumpinjoe

Back