testtest

You’ll Shoot Your Nuts Off! Five Reasons to Rethink Appendix Carry

If you have to go IWB, 4 O'Clock works, horizontal shoulder holsters, cross draw, small of back are all safer than appendix carry in my opinion. But there is a training curve for each that should not be bypassed.
Plenty of us have to go IWB Hayes. In the summer time anyway. And I do disagree with a few of your points. Particularly the small of the back thing. None of that stuff is inherently any more dangerous than the other as long as you are safe and train. Small of the back likely gets you shot by whatever it is you are trying to draw down on. The absolute worst way to carry is SOB in my opinion. I'm not sold on the whole "More important arteries being in the crotch" thing either. I think you can bleed out shooting yourself in the leg just as easily. And I know people, including at least one detective, who shot themselves in the leg with an OWB retention holster.

Hundreds of thousands of draws over the years from an IWB holster and never once had my finger on the trigger.

20221029_171921.jpg

I'm going to make this long story as short as I can. When I started carrying a gun AWIB just wasn't common. People didn't do it. You never heard about it. Everybody carried outside the waistband or inside the waistband on the hip like in my picture.

When I became a security guard I was required to use a duty belt and carry on my hip. AWIB was starting to become common but I decided I wanted to carry the same way off the clock that I carried on the clock or as close as I could get to it so outside the waistband, on the hip.

Now I'm retired. I can carry any way I want. However I have about $400 invested in outside the waistband Kramer Leather holsters and if I go tell SWMBO that I need to drop more money on a different way to carry my gun she's going to make sure that I don't ever have to worry about blowing my Tortugas off because she'll TEAR them off.

I don't expect to be taking up AWIB anytime soon.

I’ll disagree about SOB carry all day long; it’s insanely dangerous, especially if you live someplace with ice a good part of the year.

I have a good friend who has permanent, serious back damage from slipping and landing on his SOB carried pistol.

Yeah, he didn’t shoot himself, but danger is danger…
I live in Colorado Springs. I have slipped on the ice three times that I can think of and landed on my right hip which means I landed on my gun.

It was quite painful and I can't even imagine doing that with the gun up against my spine which hurts all the time anyway

I carry my Taurus 605M occasionally IWB cross draw, the holster is belt clip fabric.
As mentioned the gun is holstered and then clipped to my belt
There is no “re-holstering” as the holster collapses after a draw but then it’s a backup and I don’t intend to need it then need to re-holster it.

Everyone has different needs and preferences. As with undercover officers or operators, Appendix carry may be best suited for your circumstances. Consistent position, speed of draw, type of clothing, firearm type, attaining a proper grip, re-holstering, muzzle discipline are considerations. If you are going to do it, use good equipment and technique and train,train,train before you go live. A minimum of 200 draws with a safe gun to build neuromuscular memory is a must before going out there with a loaded gun. Likewise with whatever method you are going to use. Y'all be safe out there.

Indeed.

There is no such thing as "speed holstering"...

When I holster a weapon, it has my ENTIRE attention. I am looking it into the holster, and making sure it is clear tactilely (eg, finger sweep).

That being said, all of my AC holsters are "clip" type belt attachment: as I said earlier, I remove the holster from inside my waist, insert the pistol into the holster, and then insert the holster into my pants.
That's the best way. It's how I did it when I carried iwb. No substitute for slow deliberate caution.

SOB is very hard to defend in a close quarters/crowded area situation. I saw a UC go into a situation carrying SOB with his cover garment exposing his weapon. Could have had a bad outcome w/o his fast talk and backups outside.

Ankle carry is another poor choice unless you're good at hopping on one foot and trying to fight and/or draw at the same time. Reaching down to your ankle, or on one knee, bent at the waist puts you in a poor defensive position. My partner and I were going into a fenced yard when a huge dog came at us. We both hopped for about 10ft while trying to escape and draw. We made it to the hood of a junk car before the owner called the dog off.

Last edited:
Indeed.

There is no such thing as "speed holstering"...

When I holster a weapon, it has my ENTIRE attention. I am looking it into the holster, and making sure it is clear tactilely (eg, finger sweep).

That being said, all of my AC holsters are "clip" type belt attachment: as I said earlier, I remove the holster from inside my waist, insert the pistol into the holster, and then insert the holster into my pants.
I’ve seen some folks shoot themselves at classes because they didnt “look” their firearm into the holster.
Every class I’m at now its requires “looking” you pistol into wherever the holster position is.
If you dont, instructor cancels your session right then and there

SOB is very hard to defend in a close quarters/crowded area situation. I saw a UC go into a situation carrying SOB with his cover garment exposing his weapon. Could have had a bad outcome w/o his fast talk and backups outside.

Ankle carry is another poor choice unless you're good at hopping on one foot and trying to fight and/or draw at the same time. Reaching down to your ankle, or on one knee, bent at the waist puts you in a poor defensive position. My partner and I were going into a fenced yard when a huge dog came at us. We both hopped for about 10ft while trying to escape and draw. We made it to the hood of a junk car before the owner called the dog off.
I agree that small of back is not always optimal but works under circumstances. I had some slender young agents (this has not been a problem for me) who looked like a gun carrying a slender young agent when wearing a business suit for protection operations, so SOB was a good option when standing post all day.

Whatever happened to keep your finger off and out of the trigger guard……🤔🤔
The draw should be an automatic response developed from repetitive practice. Having someone observe your practice draws, or video of yourself doing practice draws, often surprises folks as to how often they are unknowingly touching the trigger or sweeping themselves. I have had students swear to the heavens they were not touching the trigger until I showed them the video. One error in the process can produce a cascading effect that leads to disaster. Adhering to fundamentals in practice is so dang important.

I’ve seen some folks shoot themselves at classes because they didnt “look” their firearm into the holster.
Every class I’m at now its requires “looking” you pistol into wherever the holster position is.
Yeah but what if you can't see your holster no matter the position ??? :unsure:
:sneaky:

Your gun is just like your Special Purpose. Keep it covered in public and it won't get you in trouble. Only those closest to you should know about it. Only pull it if you intend to use it. You should always carry it in the same place. You should be so familiar with where it is that you can always find it, even in the dark. And always put it away very carefully.

Back