testtest

Your Summer Carry…do you .380?

How you liking that shield plus vs the hellcat?
I always preferred my Shield for EDC but became a capacity whore and went through a few of the sub compacts. The Hellcat was the closest in accuracy. When the plus was released I made the purchase and have been carrying it since. I am slightly more accurate with Shield and feel I have better control. The grip feeling is better on the Plus (to me)and with the accuracy it's the winner. I prefer the Hellcat over my previous 365's, 43's, or MC2. While the Plus is my choice I have no concerns when I carry my Hellcat.

I can see this thread has several responses. IMHO, the only place you want to shoot a .380 is at the range. Most of us, carry the weapon of our choice for one reason and one reason only...STOPPING POWER! And based upon my professional opinion and having attended and witnessed over 200 autopsies, a .380 is useless when it comes to stopping power. It's one of the reasons LE got away from .38's and went to 9mm or 10mm, that besides a 10 yr study of LE Officers showing a terrible "hit ratio" for rounds fired at suspects. Now that study was limited to Field Patrol Officer shootings and not special assignments such as Narcs and SWAT. So carry what you will, but you increase you chances (of stopping power) by using hollow point/Control Expansion rds and training regularly to hone your skills. Remember, when the chips are down and its time to shoot (or don't shoot), most folks go into "brain freeze" and rely on their skills to hit what they're shooting at. Also, don't forget to try and concentrate on what's behind your target so you don't take out some unintended target. And unfortunately, I have seen some good intended citizens come up on charges when they unintentionally hit someone OTHER than a bad guy (or gal) that they were shooting at.

I can see this thread has several responses. IMHO, the only place you want to shoot a .380 is at the range. Most of us, carry the weapon of our choice for one reason and one reason only...STOPPING POWER! And based upon my professional opinion and having attended and witnessed over 200 autopsies, a .380 is useless when it comes to stopping power. It's one of the reasons LE got away from .38's and went to 9mm or 10mm, that besides a 10 yr study of LE Officers showing a terrible "hit ratio" for rounds fired at suspects. Now that study was limited to Field Patrol Officer shootings and not special assignments such as Narcs and SWAT. So carry what you will, but you increase you chances (of stopping power) by using hollow point/Control Expansion rds and training regularly to hone your skills. Remember, when the chips are down and its time to shoot (or don't shoot), most folks go into "brain freeze" and rely on their skills to hit what they're shooting at. Also, don't forget to try and concentrate on what's behind your target so you don't take out some unintended target. And unfortunately, I have seen some good intended citizens come up on charges when they unintentionally hit someone OTHER than a bad guy (or gal) that they were shooting at.

May want to read this. All calibers are pretty much equal with two or more rounds on target.

“Stopping power” is a null term.

My quick grab-n-go set up is my PPK in .380 in a Bianchi clip-on and a spare mag for summer when it's just a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. The Walther hides well on my old frame and is "enough" in my opinion for the places I frequent. Just my opinion. I don't put myself in places I have no business being. It's worked my whole life, no reason to change.

My quick grab-n-go set up is my PPK in .380 in a Bianchi clip-on and a spare mag for summer when it's just a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. The Walther hides well on my old frame and is "enough" in my opinion for the places I frequent. Just my opinion. I don't put myself in places I have no business being. It's worked my whole life, no reason to change.
Off topic note: I like your member profile pic.
Great minds think alike 🤣😁😁😁

Summer party at my daughter's house out of town. Son in laws 50th birthday so should be a good time. Will go light with the .380 Taurus. Of course the GHB with back up supplies will be in the car.

20210613_120113.jpg

Last edited:
I don't own a .380 ACP pistol yet, I like the cartridge, but just haven't gotten around to getting one. I typically carry either a SAI Mil-spec 1911A1 or My Sig P320/P226. But if i need to go small, i carry my Hellcat or Walther PP .32ACP. I typically open carry all day long, since my job requires me to carry. I'm an NRA/USCCA firearms instructor as well as work in a gun shop. In NC we are also able to open carry everywhere, Yes i do have my Concealed Carry licenses from several different states, i don't care about the politics of OC vs CC, They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I carry what makes me feel comfortable, not what makes others feel comfortable. I am planning on getting either a Browning M1911 .380 or maybe a SAI 911, not sure yet.

"...having attended and witnessed over 200 autopsies, a .380 is useless when it comes to stopping power."

🤔 Hmmm, if you were at autopsies, sounds like the .380 did the job.
Not really...the dead guys were hit with 9mm, 10 mm and 45's not a .38 or 380. But to each his own and carry what you want.

May want to read this. All calibers are pretty much equal with two or more rounds on target.

“Stopping power” is a null term.
Interesting read for sure. But my comments were based upon MY personal LE experiences (31yrs+) including years as a Homicide Investigator. However, my main point was that people should carry whatever weapon and ammo they feel works for them. But I do disagree that "Stopping Power" is a "null term." How does "NEUTRALIZE the threat" sound? Best regards.

Interesting read for sure. But my comments were based upon MY personal LE experiences (31yrs+) including years as a Homicide Investigator. However, my main point was that people should carry whatever weapon and ammo they feel works for them. But I do disagree that "Stopping Power" is a "null term." How does "NEUTRALIZE the threat" sound? Best regards.
Because if I fire a poorly placed .22 LR that gives a minor wound, but my assailant decides that they’re done, and retreats/ends the attack, they’ve been “neutralized”, and therefore that .22 had 100% effective “stopping power”.

On the other hand, if I end up dumping 14 rounds of .45acp into a bad guy, all of them well placed, but he just plain doesn’t shut down fast enough and ends up taking me out, the .45 has a 0% effective “stopping power”.

That’s why it’s a null term.

I don't own a .380 ACP pistol yet, I like the cartridge, but just haven't gotten around to getting one. I typically carry either a SAI Mil-spec 1911A1 or My Sig P320/P226. But if i need to go small, i carry my Hellcat or Walther PP .32ACP. I typically open carry all day long, since my job requires me to carry. I'm an NRA/USCCA firearms instructor as well as work in a gun shop. In NC we are also able to open carry everywhere, Yes i do have my Concealed Carry licenses from several different states, i don't care about the politics of OC vs CC, They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I carry what makes me feel comfortable, not what makes others feel comfortable. I am planning on getting either a Browning M1911 .380 or maybe a SAI 911, not sure yet.
I really like my Browning 1911

Attachments

• 20210530_130407.jpg
    20210530_130407.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
Back