testtest

9mm vs .45 ACP [Debate Finally Settled]

I enjoyed the article, but it didn't even come close to settling the debate. This is what happens when kids from the "Everyone Gets a Trophy" generation become gun writers. I admit to liking both calibers, but I don't go claiming to be able to tell people which one is superior.

Another good article on yet another age old question, 9mm vs 45acp. Good read and information, I think personally which ever one you pick, you won’t go wrong.

Good read Annie, picked up a little more info and perspective from article.

45ACP or 8mm better? They're both winners in my book, they're both good rounds for defense with one slightly being better than another in different directions but not really by much, if aim is true. Recoil is usually less with a 45acp than with 9mm HG depending on which HG.

In some ways it's like saying which truck goes better, the one that works while you have it or the one that you don't have at the time if having one or the other? Like you basically stated, if the one caliber you have works for what you need and you like it, both 45ACP and 9mm are good choices. And, one or the other is better than none at all.

To me, the most important thing is learning the characteristics of which ever you have at the time and be accurate with it. Ammo availability is usually where 9mm beats 45ACP currently and that's partially due to ammo manufacturers and distributors choices to try and meet consumers demands. The demand and supply was opposite not too many years ago. Just for plinking, ,22LR works fine too if you can find it? In some places, 9mm is still generally more common on LGS shelves than .22LR or 45ACP is from my experience lately. If ammo or supplies isn't there or available, you can't use or depend on any caliber for practice or defense?

Hmm…
Sorry guys n gals, but this article- just like almost all of them on this silly subject - goes all over the place and fails to state a conclusion ( considering it’s title, at least ).
Couple of points:
It mentions ‘coolness factor’. Totally irrelevant and totally subjective. I daresay a LOT of folks would find an FN plastic 9 way cooler than a GI “.45 “….Esp youngsters who want to emulate media action heroes.
Also says something about capacity laws. That’s gonna be what it’s gonna be, from one gunner to the next. Not worth mentioning.
It references HD as opposed to ‘duty’ but doesn’t really take it’s caliber comparisons down the two lines of use and develop an argument.

Bottom line: it’s the same old thing, leaving you to believe what you want to believe…. Just my 2c :)

As a lifelong 45 fan (fanatic?) I reluctantly report these conclusions:

Prior to about 1980 the ammunition available for both calibers was either round nose FMJ or unreliable expanding bullets (Jarret's SuperVel notwithstanding).

In that world, the 45 was clearly superior on a round for round basis, making the choice a real challenge because one can have more 9mm in the magazine.

Fast forward to the 21st century where we have a huge variety of reliable expanding bullets for both hunting and defense, the picture changes.

We have gone from one world where one bullet was about adequate and the other marginal to where each is as effective on a per round basis as the other. This is based on the size of the wound channel and the time needed to stop a bad guy. Both have reached a plateau where being faster requires the massive damage that only a .223 or larger rifle can inflict.

I will nonetheless not abandon my 45 but might be tempted to shoot the 9 more often.

Another good article on yet another age old question, 9mm vs 45acp. Good read and information, I think personally which ever one you pick, you won’t go wrong.

This debate will never be over because it’s subjective to what people prefer over something else. It’s like automobiles and styles of house to coffee makers. A well placed round no matter what the caliber can stop a threat, it’s all in the preference of what an individual is proficient in shooting.
Article’s like this create a good platform for thought. Keep them coming Annihilator.
Now to clear up auto manufacturers, Ford rules. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I carried .38 or 9mm for most of my career, because that was what was issued. Never felt under-gunned until the drug wars of the 80's, when we transitioned to semi-autos. I started carrying my .45 when I retired, because I could. I like the .45 thump and I am no longer concerned with magazine capacity, the likelihood that I will engage heavily armed robbers is less than winning the lottery. And the .45 is about the only macho points I have left at my age.

Pffft
10mm
Done?
🤭😁

Seriously though, bullet technology has come a loong way for both calibers. Which one you shoot better is the real answer. If you have the #1 very best round and you couldn't hit the barn wall while locked inside it then it's not much good to you at all.

I enjoyed the article, but it didn't even come close to settling the debate. This is what happens when kids from the "Everyone Gets a Trophy" generation become gun writers. I admit to liking both calibers, but I don't go claiming to be able to tell people which one is superior.
Not a bad read, but the comparison is a wiener. The one still standing wins the debate.

731AE5F9-9A7D-4457-8822-F93291883BDF.jpeg

The only good Ram. @Annihilator knows this also.

We all know that debate will never be settled.
I'd say both calibre's have their place and both
will get the job done.

Told this before; I've never gotten over that time
in shoot school when I had an AR in .45 while the
dude on one side of me had an AR in 9mm. He was
accurate, his round wold piinnnnggg off the metal
plate into somewhere then I would fire a round that
hit the metal plate with a haahwhump, knock the plate
down with enough force that it would pop back up
resetting itself. We only made eye contact one time,
he was not smiling, I was.

There may have been some improvements (in body
armor) since the days when I would select a 9mm
+P+ for its ability to penetrate body armor.

So, like many things, the details, the mission and the
operator precludes any finality in piece/calibre dominance/
superiority.

...and that is why we should have at least one of each.

As a lifelong 45 fan (fanatic?) I reluctantly report these conclusions:

Prior to about 1980 the ammunition available for both calibers was either round nose FMJ or unreliable expanding bullets (Jarret's SuperVel notwithstanding).

In that world, the 45 was clearly superior on a round for round basis, making the choice a real challenge because one can have more 9mm in the magazine.

Fast forward to the 21st century where we have a huge variety of reliable expanding bullets for both hunting and defense, the picture changes.

We have gone from one world where one bullet was about adequate and the other marginal to where each is as effective on a per round basis as the other. This is based on the size of the wound channel and the time needed to stop a bad guy. Both have reached a plateau where being faster requires the massive damage that only a .223 or larger rifle can inflict.

I will nonetheless not abandon my 45 but might be tempted to shoot the 9 more often.

I agree, however…all things being equal, a .45 will always make a bigger hole than a 9mm.

Then again, in equal sized platforms, the 9mm will be able to make more holes.

I’m comfortable with both calibers; in both “high” capacity and “low” capacity options. There are benefits and drawbacks to everything.

One pays their money and makes their choice, and doesn’t get their areolae aggravated by someone else’s.

Back