testtest

How to Set Up Your Battle Belt

Good for hunting, range trips and competition; one thing though, keep the muscle memory tuned up with the way you go to Kroger/shopping unless you wear the battle rig there too as there is a big difference in feel/access/performance without the rig. Would not want to get caught in a self defense situation having to suddenly function without the battle rig. In other words, end the training session with a practice round in the manner you usually are equipped for self defense on the street.............

I'm currently switching a IPSC inner/outer belt rig over to a more versatile & faster donning rig using a Strike Industries Colby padded belt. It will still be IPSC/IDPA useable.

I'll drop one AR mag from the old set-up to the following.
  1. CompTac International drop & offset holster for the 9mm XDm 5.25 Competition,
  2. (2) double Blade-Tech mag holders,
  3. (1) Blade-Tech AR mag holder,
  4. (1) mini-IFAK,
  5. (1) Tactical Tailor fight light rollable dump pouch.
I'll have to see if I have some room for a blade or multi-tool pouch.

^ That Colby belt looks very interesting, @Talyn - I think it looks very similar to a traditional padded patrol belt setup, but is much improved in materials and construct. Please let me know how you like it once you've put some time on it. :)

-----

I'll have to see if I have some room for a blade or multi-tool pouch.

^ This is a Pearl that should not be glossed over: "belt-estate" is unfortunately always a consideration.

Those with slimmer waists may find it hard to get everything they want on the belt without having to go to sub-loads (which sorta fell out of fashion - https://maxvelocitytactical.com/photos-evidence-of-drop-leg-heresy/) or double-stacking away from the body (Kenya mall/hotel hero SAS soldier). Comparing my daughter's battle/war-belt setup to mine makes the case in an almost controlled manner, given that I'm the one who's sitting up the belts:

Sub-loads have implications on foot-speed (as well as compatibility with the sidearm holster, on one's dominant side), and both it as well as double-stacking have implications on maneuverability in tighter confines and various seating accommodations.

-----

Overall, while I liked this article, I do I have a few areas of difference... :)

First, I think that the "reason for civilian use" portion, as it applies to training, needs to be expanded, as there are many belts out there that can easily support the weight of a fully-loaded full-size handgun, a couple of its spare mags, plus one or two fully-loaded 30-round AR15 magazines or the like. Indeed, for quite a while, I simply spent a few minutes at the beginning of each training class undoing and re-threading my everyday-wear Ares Gear Enhanced Ranger belt towards this very purpose. For me, the "war belt" wasn't so much just for training/range use as it made training/range use a bit easier: using a similar under/over-belt setup as shown in the article allowed me to easily carry concealed to the range/class, using the under-belt, and then quickly jock-up with overt kit when I arrive at class. The 15 minutes it saved me of unthreading and re-threading gear allows me to do any number of other things that I might need to get done when I first arrive at class. :)

Personally -and this is despite the fact that such belt systems as what's described in the article are what I prefer: my Volund Gearworks Micro Battle Belt was among the first of that type- I vehemently do not agree with the article's sentiment in that this is the only way to go. Depending on end-user preference, this type of over/under setup may fail to be acceptable in multiple objective/subjective manners, including usability (the enemy of Velcro is mud, and for those whose lifestyle sees this possibility, this kind of setup is a poor choice) and simple comfort (for those with wider hips, the same reason why barrel-hoop rigid belts are unbearably uncomfortable can be magnified here, given the amount of weight that these setups typically incur). While there has been a move away from the larger belts like the HSGI Sure-Grip, they're by no means obsolete.

Similarly, just because most "duty gear" maxes out at 2" belt width compatibility, it doesn't mean that having a wider war-belt limits one's gear selection. Everything from the venerable, traditionally configured, TYR/5.11/VTAC Brooks belt to the recently introduced BFG CHLK (which is also a 2" belt) have taken this consideration into account. After all, their mission, ostensibly, is to allow for gear carriage ;) - and they utilize various inner-belt pass-throughs as well as other gear mounts (slots, webbing, etc.) to effect such capabilities.

In terms of the old "bullets forward" versus "bullets backwards" argument, I also feel that a bit of expansion is needed. While there are vocal proponents of either/or when it comes to handgun and carbine/rifle magazines, the truth of the matter is that in the end, the orientation boils down to the particular way in which the end-users' hand/wrist/arm/shoulder articulates best. As long as the shooter him/herself is consistent with his/her own preference, that's really all that can be asked for: Chris Costa, for example, is one of those weirdos who prefers his 5.56/.223 AR mags to face the same as his handgun mags - bullets forward. Put him on the clock, and I can guaranty he's not running any slower than any other shooter of similar skill level and experience, who happens to run the more conventional bullets-backward "beer can grip" on their AR mags.

Also, I think that given the aim of this article is to show average-Joe/Janes why a battle-belt how to set up their battle belt, I would've liked to see the authors point out that being able to comfortably sit with the belt on -with all that gear around one's waist- should also be a primary concern. Taking vehicle-based classes? That goes double.

-----

Discussing this brought back memories of a Feb. 2020 thread with @Grifter as OP - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/battle-belt.690/ :)

Good for hunting, range trips and competition; one thing though, keep the muscle memory tuned up with the way you go to Kroger/shopping unless you wear the battle rig there too as there is a big difference in feel/access/performance without the rig. Would not want to get caught in a self defense situation having to suddenly function without the battle rig. In other words, end the training session with a practice round in the manner you usually are equipped for self defense on the street.............

^ Absolutely critical, and I love it that you brought this up. As with the above, I was disappointed that an article which was targeted at average-Joes/Janes like myself - to explain to us why a battle/war-belt would be useful particularly in the training context - skipped over this.

Consistency is key for me.

For me, to be "in full kit" in my everyday life? It's probably gonna be the zombie apocalypse. :ROFLMAO: Otherwise, it's all LARP.:p

I use the battle/war-belt to help me learn in class. But for me, the realization is that has to be cross-applicable, in some way, to my actual daily life as an average-Joe legally concealed-carrying citizen.

So my handgun in its OWB holster sits right over where it would otherwise be on me in my daily life, IWB. Sure, a bit of a drop and offset would likely make me a bit faster (or at least a little less awkward 😅 ), but having that gun -which is most likely the only gun that I'd be carrying at that moment- start off in a different place when I'm training versus when I'm living my daily life? For me, that's a no-go.

My blow-out kit sits over my right hip just as my daily EDC blow-out pouch sits in my right hip pocket.

Yes, concessions are made for learning - I carry more mags. I carry a note pad. I have a water bottle holder and a dump pouch. I spent the money to take a class: I should be maximizing my learning.

But my goal is to be able to take that learning back to my life. And towards that, it's my belief that consistency is critical.

^ Absolutely critical, and I love it that you brought this up. As with the above, I was disappointed that an article which was targeted at average-Joes/Janes like myself - to explain to us why a battle/war-belt would be useful particularly in the training context - skipped over this.

Consistency is key for me.

For me, to be "in full kit" in my everyday life? It's probably gonna be the zombie apocalypse. :ROFLMAO: Otherwise, it's all LARP.:p

I use the battle/war-belt to help me learn in class. But for me, the realization is that has to be cross-applicable, in some way, to my actual daily life as an average-Joe legally concealed-carrying citizen.

So my handgun in its OWB holster sits right over where it would otherwise be on me in my daily life, IWB. Sure, a bit of a drop and offset would likely make me a bit faster (or at least a little less awkward 😅 ), but having that gun -which is most likely the only gun that I'd be carrying at that moment- start off in a different place when I'm training versus when I'm living my daily life? For me, that's a no-go.

My blow-out kit sits over my right hip just as my daily EDC blow-out pouch sits in my right hip pocket.

Yes, concessions are made for learning - I carry more mags. I carry a note pad. I have a water bottle holder and a dump pouch. I spent the money to take a class: I should be maximizing my learning.

But my goal is to be able to take that learning back to my life. And towards that, it's my belief that consistency is critical.
I have some tactical equipment for the zombie apocalypse. My gear for classes is far more minimal. Shotgun stuff I have velcroed, Slung shotguns and a dump pouch full of loaded cards. Plus usually a sidearm. Handgun stuff I just have my carry gun and some extra mags. I haven’t done much with carbines yet but I am looking at chest rigs or sub loads that incorporate mag pouches for the ARs and shell cards. Which I think cards and PMags will fit nicely in the same size pouches. Belt worn holster and mag pouches for the handguns. I think a chest rig and handgun stuff on the belt would work well for 3 gun. Zombie apocalypse rig would incorporate those as well as a few bags and my back pack.

Last edited:
Hi. Who makes the AR mag holder in your article? I have been looking for something similar and having a hard time finding anything.
Hey! GunSpot here. That mag holder is a Kydex holster made by Grant (guy in the video) There are similar ones made by Haley Strategic they are camo and have retention inside them although they have a soft shell.

Hey! GunSpot here. That mag holder is a Kydex holster made by Grant (guy in the video) There are similar ones made by Haley Strategic they are camo and have retention inside them although they have a soft shell.

Hey GS, Thanks for the info. That's an impressive mag holster/pouch Grant made. Am thinking the earlier sheet plastic tech was wrongly dismissed and marketed a bit off kilter when aimed towards kids. Was a lot of fun back then.

For an example:
Tiny thermoforming machine : specializedtools
Mattel Vac-U-Form Machine(Unused-New Old Stock!!)-Upgraded ...

Historical Link:

^ That Colby belt looks very interesting, @Talyn - I think it looks very similar to a traditional padded patrol belt setup, but is much improved in materials and construct. Please let me know how you like it once you've put some time on it. :)

-----
@TSiWRX

Got the Colby belt today.

As any belt you have to figure it out, how to fit things. adjust the keepers, and adjust it for the waist.

Got all that done on the Colby. The ergonomic shape really fits the waist & bone structure well for me. I've managed to fit my CompTac holster, a medium-sized fixed blade and single AR mag holder on the right, and the 2 double-mag holders on the left.

Still have room for the TT dump pouch and TT IFAK pouch on the rear left & rear, respectively. But these two haven't arrived yet.

I have to admit, my first instinct was to dismiss this concept completely. I tend to train for normal daily threats, when the gear of the day is most likely concealed carry.

However after thinking about it a while I see where something on this order might actually be of use. Granted the possible needs for such a tool are rather specific, things like home defense where the invaders are still outside the wire, or some type of societal collapse.

It's not something I will spend a ton of money or time training with. But it is definitely something that I will give some attention too.

One thing I see lacking is the inclusion of, for lack of a better term and to fit into the theme, a battle blade. In my mind in those type of scenarios the possibility of needing a proper blade, is high.

Thanks for the information.

I have to admit, my first instinct was to dismiss this concept completely. I tend to train for normal daily threats, when the gear of the day is most likely concealed carry.

However after thinking about it a while I see where something on this order might actually be of use. Granted the possible needs for such a tool are rather specific, things like home defense where the invaders are still outside the wire, or some type of societal collapse.

Towards the last.....from my response in the in-linked thread - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/battle-belt.690/#post-13659

hd-prep-jpg.2189

^ That's what I keep in the bedroom -our "safe-room"- inside a quick-access safe(ty storage device). It's near-instant access to a WML-equipped handgun that's ready-to-go, a spare mag for both it and my AR (which is also stationed in the bedroom), a handheld light, a utility knife , and a tourniquet (rest of the medical supplies are in the nightstand with our bedroom fire-extinguisher and main handheld light).

It's nothing fancy, just a plain-Jane Bianchi "police duty belt" with a comfy padded insert that's supplemented with belt-keepers: it's literally something that I could throw on over my boxers and do business with.

The setup of this kit replicates that of my range/training setup, both in terms of hardware as well as how they are positioned.

The idea for me is that when I wake up to the house alarm going off and the dog barking and the wifey and child yelling, everything that I need to have with me is consolidated and ready-to-go, and can leave my hands free for other needs once it's donned.

Towards the last.....from my response in the in-linked thread - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/battle-belt.690/#post-13659

hd-prep-jpg.2189

^ That's what I keep in the bedroom -our "safe-room"- inside a quick-access safe(ty storage device). It's near-instant access to a WML-equipped handgun that's ready-to-go, a spare mag for both it and my AR (which is also stationed in the bedroom), a handheld light, a utility knife , and a tourniquet (rest of the medical supplies are in the nightstand with our bedroom fire-extinguisher and main handheld light).

It's nothing fancy, just a plain-Jane Bianchi "police duty belt" with a comfy padded insert that's supplemented with belt-keepers: it's literally something that I could throw on over my boxers and do business with.

The setup of this kit replicates that of my range/training setup, both in terms of hardware as well as how they are positioned.

The idea for me is that when I wake up to the house alarm going off and the dog barking and the wifey and child yelling, everything that I need to have with me is consolidated and ready-to-go, and can leave my hands free for other needs once it's donned.
When one by one, malfunctions/surprises/ send remaining options south and the last option is hand to hand; knives, gloves/knucks/chains/bats/hammers/screwdrivers, let ur imagination be the guide, are all on the table and useful, even a blanket over an intruders head gives a moment of advantage. I'm down with flash bangs and smokes; I know my way about (and out of) the house better than the perp that just came in. When/if things degenerate to hand to hand combat, the adrenalin blast will astonish you and you'll be capable of things you had not thought of....................

@TSiWRX, etc.

Got my TT roll-up dump & TT IFAK pouchs today & installed.

Both fit fine & ended up with just enough room to fit a multi-tool. So dug up an extra Gerber tool from the gear box and put it on. Got all the bases I wanted to coer, covered.

The Colby belt rides very well.

My .02

Back