testtest

Battle Belt

I keep seeing an advertisement on Facebook for these for both men and women. I’ll see if I can find it and post a link for you.

@Grifter -

What's her waist size?

I'm still somewhat split on whether a "war belt" type belt will work for female shooters because of the shape of their hips/waist.

I'm having some issues with my daughter's setup. It's fine until she tries to draw her handgun (we haven't started live-fire holster work, yet, but we're actively dry-fire practicing), where after at-best 2 or 3 draws, it'll ride up.

I'm not sure if this is just because we're not cinching down tightly enough, or if it is just her (unique - as in "her person") body being weird.....

I've got her on an ATS Tactical (https://atstacticalgear.com/) inner/outer setup. The "war belt" over-panel is rather affordable, but it's well made: I was happy enough with it to spend the $50 or so to re-up when my daughter grew out of her first ("Small"), when she wears her winter jacket (we mostly shoot in the winter, outdoors). You've probably seen this picture of her, here:

Smiley Thumb Close.jpg

Over her coat, it's fine: it actually won't ride up when she either draws (RSC Phantom) or extracts reloads from the RCS Sonny Rig.

But without her coat, it slides up the hourglass between her hips and her ribcage. 😅

Having seen the texturing on the inner half of other "war belts," I'm really not sure if just simply pouring more money at this problem will actually solve it (which, frankly, as the doting father, I'm not averse to doing.....).

So, this has me thinking - maybe an inner/outer setup like what Volund Gearworks offers, their Micro Battle Belt (http://store.volundgearworks.com/in...icro-battle-belts/2-micro-battle-belt-v3.html), may work? This is the setup I use, pairing their Micro Battle Belt with "hook" inner VELCRO lining to a liner belt (Atlas G-Hook liner) that has an outer "loop" VELCRO surface, which I use as my concealed-carry belt when traveling to/from carbine classes.

While this combo allows me to quickly gear-up when I arrive at class, I'm more thinking along the lines of it allowing women - particularly those with that problematic hourglass to deal with, like my daughter - to actually be able to thread the inner belt through her pants belt-loops, which should help it lock-in on her hips.

Back when my daughter was a few years younger, she was actually very happy with the stability of a simple Volund Atlas-G "Slim" (it's much less rigid than the Ares Gear Enhanced Ranger/Aegis that many of us guys who are traditional IWB/OWB wearers like, and is instead similar to the more conforming belts that people like Keepers advocate for AIWB), routed through her jeans, supporting the same Sonny Rig.

@Grifter -

What's her waist size?

I'm still somewhat split on whether a "war belt" type belt will work for female shooters because of the shape of their hips/waist.

I'm having some issues with my daughter's setup. It's fine until she tries to draw her handgun (we haven't started live-fire holster work, yet, but we're actively dry-fire practicing), where after at-best 2 or 3 draws, it'll ride up.

I'm not sure if this is just because we're not cinching down tightly enough, or if it is just her (unique - as in "her person") body being weird.....

I've got her on an ATS Tactical (https://atstacticalgear.com/) inner/outer setup. The "war belt" over-panel is rather affordable, but it's well made: I was happy enough with it to spend the $50 or so to re-up when my daughter grew out of her first ("Small"), when she wears her winter jacket (we mostly shoot in the winter, outdoors). You've probably seen this picture of her, here:

View attachment 2102

Over her coat, it's fine: it actually won't ride up when she either draws (RSC Phantom) or extracts reloads from the RCS Sonny Rig.

But without her coat, it slides up the hourglass between her hips and her ribcage. 😅

Having seen the texturing on the inner half of other "war belts," I'm really not sure if just simply pouring more money at this problem will actually solve it (which, frankly, as the doting father, I'm not averse to doing.....).

So, this has me thinking - maybe an inner/outer setup like what Volund Gearworks offers, their Micro Battle Belt (http://store.volundgearworks.com/in...icro-battle-belts/2-micro-battle-belt-v3.html), may work? This is the setup I use, pairing their Micro Battle Belt with "hook" inner VELCRO lining to a liner belt (Atlas G-Hook liner) that has an outer "loop" VELCRO surface, which I use as my concealed-carry belt when traveling to/from carbine classes.

While this combo allows me to quickly gear-up when I arrive at class, I'm more thinking along the lines of it allowing women - particularly those with that problematic hourglass to deal with, like my daughter - to actually be able to thread the inner belt through her pants belt-loops, which should help it lock-in on her hips.

Back when my daughter was a few years younger, she was actually very happy with the stability of a simple Volund Atlas-G "Slim" (it's much less rigid than the Ares Gear Enhanced Ranger/Aegis that many of us guys who are traditional IWB/OWB wearers like, and is instead similar to the more conforming belts that people like Keepers advocate for AIWB), routed through her jeans, supporting the same Sonny Rig.
Safariland came up with the inner and outter Velcro belts 20 years ago for officer's Sam Browne gun belts. Have you tried belt keepers? They are leather straps that go around both belts and snap to keep the guns belt in place. Probably need minimum of four. Police officers have been using them for decades so should be available at any police supply store.

@Grifter -

What's her waist size?

View attachment 2102

That ATS Tactical website has some great gear.

Safariland came up with the inner and outter Velcro belts 20 years ago for officer's Sam Browne gun belts. Have you tried belt keepers? They are leather straps that go around both belts and snap to keep the guns belt in place. Probably need minimum of four. Police officers have been using them for decades so should be available at any police supply store.

^ Not on her, but that is a very good idea, and I honestly don't know why I hadn't thought of it (seeing as I have more than a few in one of my gear bags!). Thank you!!! (y)

I used to run a belt-keeper setup back in the 90s when I played paintball....so, they've gotta be downstairs in one of the old gear bags....... :)

Which reminds me, bruddah, those old Sam Browne's are much more than just two decades ago. ;) I fear we're showing our age!

-----

That ATS Tactical website has some great gear.

^ They're really great. When I ordered the inner/outer pair for my daughter this Christmas, they replied next-day that they'd run out of the FDE-ano COBRA buckles, and gave me a few options of how to proceed. Top-notch service.

For how relatively cheap their war-belt overlay is, I really was - and remain - very impressed with the quality.

-----

Besides my IPSC belt/rig I still haven't found a so-called battle belt that meets my needs.

There are some in development that I'm waiting on see how they turn out.

^ Whatcha seeing out there? I need to know!!!! :)

Last edited:
Had her try my alonso defense belt, but she didn't really like it. Looking at all the recommendations.

^ Like this one?

My bet would be because she feels like it's cutting into her hip? That was what I witnessed at a class with Jake Sabens of Ares Gear - when a female classmate expressed interest in his Ranger belts (which almost everyone in the 30-person class seemed to be wearing), he sized her for the proper belt, and told her to try it out, allowing her to test-drive it for the duration of that six-day class because of this very concern.

That Alonso Covert Gun Belt really looks/reads a lot like Jake's setup with the Ranger/Enhanced Ranger.

If that's the case, where does she feel like she needs more padding? Or is that not what's bothering her about it? Can you relay what she's not liking?

Alternatively, if that's not the belt, which one did you put on her, and again, what did she not like? Was it the Battle Wagon?

Also, if the Orion - or a configuration like it - could be made to fit her, does she like that kind of setup?

I actually prefer the slimmer profile of a belt like the Volund Gearworks Micro Battle Belt (similar offerings in the form of HSGI's Operator Belt, Grey Ghost's UGF) because, subjectively, I don't like the extra padding of the more traditional setups (which also tends to slide a bit on my body-shape). BFG should soon be bringing out the Lightweight MOLLEMinus that they premiered at SHOT this year - if she likes slimmer profiles, this may be worth the wait.

Alternatively, if she wants something kinda "in between," the First Spear Padded AGB Sleeve may be worth a look.

Finally, the Unity Tactical CLUTCH wasn't necessarily designed to be worn as a "war belt," but it can certainly serve as such:

I wanted to try this one with my daughter, actually - as it seems that it should hug an hourglass shape a bit better?

^ Like this one?

My bet would be because she feels like it's cutting into her hip? That was what I witnessed at a class with Jake Sabens of Ares Gear - when a female classmate expressed interest in his Ranger belts (which almost everyone in the 30-person class seemed to be wearing), he sized her for the proper belt, and told her to try it out, allowing her to test-drive it for the duration of that six-day class because of this very concern.

That Alonso Covert Gun Belt really looks/reads a lot like Jake's setup with the Ranger/Enhanced Ranger.

If that's the case, where does she feel like she needs more padding? Or is that not what's bothering her about it? Can you relay what she's not liking?

Alternatively, if that's not the belt, which one did you put on her, and again, what did she not like? Was it the Battle Wagon?

Also, if the Orion - or a configuration like it - could be made to fit her, does she like that kind of setup?

I actually prefer the slimmer profile of a belt like the Volund Gearworks Micro Battle Belt (similar offerings in the form of HSGI's Operator Belt, Grey Ghost's UGF) because, subjectively, I don't like the extra padding of the more traditional setups (which also tends to slide a bit on my body-shape). BFG should soon be bringing out the Lightweight MOLLEMinus that they premiered at SHOT this year - if she likes slimmer profiles, this may be worth the wait.

Alternatively, if she wants something kinda "in between," the First Spear Padded AGB Sleeve may be worth a look.

Finally, the Unity Tactical CLUTCH wasn't necessarily designed to be worn as a "war belt," but it can certainly serve as such:

I wanted to try this one with my daughter, actually - as it seems that it should hug an hourglass shape a bit better?
Her biggest complaint was mainly that it sagged on the holster side. Probably because she didn't run it through her belt loops. I was just having her test it out.

The issue with the orion is that they just don't make one small enough for her. The ends would overlap. I will look at the recommendations and find something she likes.

@Grifter

More tomorrow, I promise.

The little one is off school tomorrow for holiday, so we have some morning activities that require an early rise. I'll revisit this in-depth tomorrow while I think on it tonight before bed. :)

Similarly, @Annihilator , I'll also come back to expand a bit more on what the "battle belt" or a "duty belt" setup can offer, in terms of defensive uses for us everyday Joes/Janes, too.

^ This is me, too. @Annihilator , this was actually where I was going to go with my reply to you above. :) With a sturdy enough "battle belt" setup, it makes for a great "quick response kit" for home-defense -

HD prep.jpg

^ That's what I keep in the bedroom, in my closet. It's instant-access to a handgun that's ready-to-go (probably can't see it, as in this pic, I had to hang it out from where it usually situates, I apologize! 😊 - it's a 4.5-inch XDm9 w/Insight M6 running a LumensFactory drop-in, holstered in an RSC light-bearing Phantom), a spare mag for both it and my AR (which is also stationed in the bedroom), a handheld light (Surefire Z2S-LED body running a Malkoff M61W drop-in), a utility knife (Emerson PUK), and a CAT tourniquet (rest of the medical supplies are in the nightstand with our bedroom fire-extinguisher and main handheld light, a Surefire M6 running a Malkoff MD60 drop-in).

It's nothing fancy, just a plain-Jane Bianchi "police duty belt" with a comfy padded insert that's supplemented with belt-keepers (@Susquash , I guess I did have them, I just forgot about them!). Instead of fancy, I needed/wanted something that I could literally throw on over my boxers and do business with.

You'll notice that the setup of this kit replicates that of my range/training setup, both in terms of hardware as well as how they are positioned.

And that brings me to my "war belt" - and @Grifter , this is where things may get interesting for you. :)

Allen WB.jpg

My apologies for the background clutter: this is just hung-up in my basement. 😅

You'll note that there is a black band running the inner circumference of the belt above, and that's because this is a Volund Gearworks inner/outer pairing, as I described above (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/battle-belt.690/#post-13211 and https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/what-kind-of-plate-carrier-rig-do-you-run.436/#post-7264).

My setup is to help me learn in classes (you'll see a few pictures of it in-action in this old post:
https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-2#post-3579) - it has a few roles:
  • allows me to take notes (the general-purpose pouch sitting between the mag pouches on the left, my support side)
  • keeps the guns fed (the stacked ESSTAC magazine pouches - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/how-do-you-carry-back-up-ammo.522/#post-9580 - behind and in front of the GP pouch)
  • keeps the lights that are lumens-racers having sufficient backup (the flattened pouch that's in front of the forward most mag pouch usually holds a spare handheld light, which you can see in some of the live-action picture above, and the cylindrical thingie immediately to the rear of the holster - which is towards the windows in the pic - is a CellVault XL, which safely holds spare batteries)
  • keeps me hydrated (that bungee-corded item is an MSM Bottle Corset), which helps me learn
  • keeps a multitool handy (the HSGI Pistol Taco perfectly swallows and firmly holds a Multitasker V3), which again helps me learn in that I don't have to sprint off-line to remediate something that might have come loose, etc.
  • keeps me safe: the medical kit to the right of the dump pouch is a HSGI M3T with a NOLATAC insert, and holds two CATs plus has a pair of RipShears tucked in, more of this is visible in some of the live-action pictures versus on the hanger above), and there's a battery-powered light-stick for self-marking that resides on top of the dump-pouch (more on this in a minute), which is oftentimes a requirement in low-light classes; what you can't see is that there's also a Grimlock clip close to the front of the belt, adjacent to my strong-side handgun mag pouch (this helps with single-handed pistol reloads, as the clocking of this much gear can make for accessibility issues, even with folks who are slim-build, much less those of my body-type! 😋), to which gloves and earpro can be rapidly clipped/uclipped.
You'll find that folks will either run a "permanent" dump-pouch like I do or will run a fold-out one (BFG Ten-Speed, TT Fight-Light roll-up, EGL Loppy, ATS SlimLine roll-up, or even something like the HSGI Mag-Net. I used a EGL Loppy in my first few classes and found that once I started storing things in there (you'll see in some of the live-action pictures I cited that I even sometimes pop my drink or my bipod in there, if I didn't have time to store them properly), these tend to swing and dangle just a bit too much for my liking. So I dug around in my old airsoft stuff, and found an awesome (and sadly now discontinued) Eagle Industries SAS-DMP sitting in a box, so I repurposed it, and I've been really happy with it. If you get a chance, this is the one thing that I would encourage shooters to try different setups of, as your individual tastes and how you intend to use the dump can make a lot of difference with user-satisfaction, here.

As you can see, my "war-belt" setup is a bit unconventional. It's not designed for me to "fight," per-se, but rather, so that I can successfully LEARN how to do so, so that I not only have the ability to successfully run my guns, with enough ammo to last through even the highest round-count evolutions, but also so that I can take notes and keep myself well-hydrated throughout.

:)

What I equipped my daughter with below is much more typical:

Anna WB.jpg

Left to right -
  • feeds the guns - Raven Concealment Systems Sonny Rig supported by a single pistol ESSTAC shorty
  • keeps her safe - BFG CAT TQ NOW! pouch and Micro Trauma Kit NOW! - this setup, much as mine, allows for ambidextrous access; you'll also note the Grimlock clip in front of the holster, much like where I have mine
  • RCS Phantom holster for my XDm or a RCS Perun for her Glock
As I noted in my reply to Grifter above (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/battle-belt.690/#post-13511), @Annihilator , there's really currently two main "battle belt" setups: one that's slimmer and more like a traditional "police duty belt," and the other more like a weightlifter's belt in terms of width (but typically *not* support). Kinda like the dump-pouch, this separation in the line is where most shooters will get benefit out of being able to try out a few different setups to see what they like, as each has its strengths and weaknesses. For example, while the more traditional setup offers a lower profile, it can sometimes transfer "focused" weight to the waist of the shooter. And while the latter, wider setup definitely helps minimize that kind of hot-spot, some shooters dislike it because the increased coverage area around the waist and back make them feel hotter, and also because if the fit is a little off, these types of "overbelts" can shift and move around awkwardly as the shooter moves his/her body.

Regardless, unlike armor, "battle/war-belts" are oftentimes more considered second-line gear (especially when the sidearm/handgun is attached to the shooter's main pants belt and is only routed through the battle/war-belt). It allows the shooter to be able to access his/her main source of ammunition at the waistline in much the same way that their first-line gear would, and thus helps build primacy and speed. (That said, you'll also see many times that modern SWAT/urban LE will forego this type of belt and instead make "low-profile" plate carriers their main load-bearing platform - this is because while the battle/war-belt allows ammunition and other vital gear to be accessed at the waist, they often will increase the overall width/girth of the individual to a level that makes it difficult for them to in/egress via residential windows.)

Hope this helps give you a bit of insight into "war belts"/"battle belts," @Annihilator ! :)

@Grifter -

Other companies out there that makes known-quality war-belts in that wider configuration that you and your wife seems to like, but will have smaller sizing, include:

ATS Tactical - https://atstacticalgear.com/ats-war-belt/ (as you know from above, this is what I'd gotten for my daughter both back when she was younger as well as re-upped with just this past winter with an increase in sizing as she matures into young womanhood)

HSGI - https://www.highspeedgear.com/Battle-Belts.html

First Spear (specifically, the Padded AGB - https://www.first-spear.com/padded-agb-sleeve-6-12-tm-low-profile)

Velocity Systems - https://www.velsyst.com/collections/belt-system

Viking Tactics (VTAC) Brokos (TYR also makes a version of this, although I don't recall what the difference is off-hand) - https://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-bb.htm

Tactical Tailor Fight Light Battle Belt - https://www.tacticaltailor.com/fightlightbattlebelt.aspx

Each of these should start at the 29" to 30" (actual belt length measurement, NOT waist-size) sizing, which is about as small as they come.... If your wife is super thin-waisted, you may want to see if going with a belt that allows for the holster, magazine pouches, and other gear to be "woven through" (like the VTAC/TYR Brokos) may help displace a bit of the belt material and thus make the overlay open up a little. Alternatively, she may want to do a "first line" of her usual pants belt/gunbelt, and do a drop/offset of the holster so that it comes outside the war-belt. This will then allow the war-belt to completely sit over the circumference of not just her pants' waistline, but also the space taken up by her gun-belt, whose thickness should help add some girth.

If she really, really likes a certain setup but just can't get the sizing that she wants, there are services out there that will modify existing tactical nylon for a nominal fee. IIRC, Volund Gearworks started off as a mod-shop.

Last edited:
Back