testtest

Battle Belt

^ Oh, you tease!!!!

Battle belts, like so much other pieces of gear are so individual in their use. One must try to find what works best for your own size, body conditions, and gear needs.

I may like one manufacturers inner belt but may hate their outer belt. Unless I'm issued or told to wear only one type/manufacturer's gear I try to find what works for me best even though it may be a smorgasbord of different items and manufacturers.

I even don't buy a single manufacturers AR, but build an AR with the individual elements based on my past experience. Some get close but I always end up having a diverse range of gear.

My .02

Battle belts, like so much other pieces of gear are so individual in their use. One must try to find what works best for your own size, body conditions, and gear needs.

Absolutely.

I think it's so totally not fair that the rest of the population gets Nordstrom Rack, while I have to settle with shopping online......

I'd love to be able to try on stuff before I buy! :)

I know that most of the good-guys/gals in the industry are very upfront about their return policy (SKD Tactical's, for example, is no-joke easy, and I'll buy from them any day and every day of the week), but it's still somewhat of a hassle to have to do the return thing in the first place.

Absolutely.

I think it's so totally not fair that the rest of the population gets Nordstrom Rack, while I have to settle with shopping online......

I'd love to be able to try on stuff before I buy! :)

I know that most of the good-guys/gals in the industry are very upfront about their return policy (SKD Tactical's, for example, is no-joke easy, and I'll buy from them any day and every day of the week), but it's still somewhat of a hassle to have to do the return thing in the first place.

Sometimes I go through my "old" gear boxes and say either..."What was I thinking" or "Boy, that didn't work".

^ I'm the same way. Kinda a hoarder in this way, I suppose......🤔 But you can bet I make darned sure that both my wife and daughter knows it whenever I found a use for something or other that I had stashed away years ago!!!!!!😂

The only reason I returned my PIG Cold Weather Gloves was because I honestly didn't have another use for them (I will openly admit to my glove fetish - even though I rarely wear gloves, I have one for each and every purpose)....and planned on getting the correctly-sized replacement at the next opportunity. 😁

Sometimes I go through my "old" gear boxes and say either..."What was I thinking" or "Boy, that didn't work".

^ I recently had to clean out the basement due to a minor flood.

I found that trip down memory lane both amusing and horrifying at the same time.

Horrifying even more as I used to be able to fit into that stuff!!!!! It's amazing how much time alone can shrink clothing and gear. Yeah, I'm going with that......

My country is pretty difficult to get rigged out for, so I've gone the modular route.

The elevation gains I have within very short distances are a big influence, and I can't hump the amount of gear I used to.

Been making load-outs simpler vs. the "Everything but kitchen-sink" approach in earlier days.

Travel light, travel fast is the motto now.

Last edited:
Did Montana change countries?

No, we talk like that out here in the Northern Rockies, not only MT.

Different parts of the state that are geo/topographically distinct have their own names, and we characterize them as such.

When one mentions a certain area/mountain range then those that know/have been around a lot know exactly what the other person is talking about regarding that area. You can say even a single name in a conversation & the other person knows what you're talking about.

We have a lot of big "country" around here.

I would think you folks in NV reference the parts of your general area the same, or it just various parts of Vegas like any other urban area?

I'm only familiar with the northern 1/3 of NV. The agency I worked for always referred to offices by the town names down there. We knew what/where they were talking about on that.

Last edited:
^ This is me, too. @Annihilator , this was actually where I was going to go with my reply to you above. :) With a sturdy enough "battle belt" setup, it makes for a great "quick response kit" for home-defense -

View attachment 2189

^ That's what I keep in the bedroom, in my closet. It's instant-access to a handgun that's ready-to-go (probably can't see it, as in this pic, I had to hang it out from where it usually situates, I apologize! 😊 - it's a 4.5-inch XDm9 w/Insight M6 running a LumensFactory drop-in, holstered in an RSC light-bearing Phantom), a spare mag for both it and my AR (which is also stationed in the bedroom), a handheld light (Surefire Z2S-LED body running a Malkoff M61W drop-in), a utility knife (Emerson PUK), and a CAT tourniquet (rest of the medical supplies are in the nightstand with our bedroom fire-extinguisher and main handheld light, a Surefire M6 running a Malkoff MD60 drop-in).

It's nothing fancy, just a plain-Jane Bianchi "police duty belt" with a comfy padded insert that's supplemented with belt-keepers (@Susquash , I guess I did have them, I just forgot about them!). Instead of fancy, I needed/wanted something that I could literally throw on over my boxers and do business with.

You'll notice that the setup of this kit replicates that of my range/training setup, both in terms of hardware as well as how they are positioned.

And that brings me to my "war belt" - and @Grifter , this is where things may get interesting for you. :)

View attachment 2192

My apologies for the background clutter: this is just hung-up in my basement. 😅

You'll note that there is a black band running the inner circumference of the belt above, and that's because this is a Volund Gearworks inner/outer pairing, as I described above (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/battle-belt.690/#post-13211 and https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/what-kind-of-plate-carrier-rig-do-you-run.436/#post-7264).

My setup is to help me learn in classes (you'll see a few pictures of it in-action in this old post:
https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-2#post-3579) - it has a few roles:
  • allows me to take notes (the general-purpose pouch sitting between the mag pouches on the left, my support side)
  • keeps the guns fed (the stacked ESSTAC magazine pouches - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/how-do-you-carry-back-up-ammo.522/#post-9580 - behind and in front of the GP pouch)
  • keeps the lights that are lumens-racers having sufficient backup (the flattened pouch that's in front of the forward most mag pouch usually holds a spare handheld light, which you can see in some of the live-action picture above, and the cylindrical thingie immediately to the rear of the holster - which is towards the windows in the pic - is a CellVault XL, which safely holds spare batteries)
  • keeps me hydrated (that bungee-corded item is an MSM Bottle Corset), which helps me learn
  • keeps a multitool handy (the HSGI Pistol Taco perfectly swallows and firmly holds a Multitasker V3), which again helps me learn in that I don't have to sprint off-line to remediate something that might have come loose, etc.
  • keeps me safe: the medical kit to the right of the dump pouch is a HSGI M3T with a NOLATAC insert, and holds two CATs plus has a pair of RipShears tucked in, more of this is visible in some of the live-action pictures versus on the hanger above), and there's a battery-powered light-stick for self-marking that resides on top of the dump-pouch (more on this in a minute), which is oftentimes a requirement in low-light classes; what you can't see is that there's also a Grimlock clip close to the front of the belt, adjacent to my strong-side handgun mag pouch (this helps with single-handed pistol reloads, as the clocking of this much gear can make for accessibility issues, even with folks who are slim-build, much less those of my body-type! 😋), to which gloves and earpro can be rapidly clipped/uclipped.
You'll find that folks will either run a "permanent" dump-pouch like I do or will run a fold-out one (BFG Ten-Speed, TT Fight-Light roll-up, EGL Loppy, ATS SlimLine roll-up, or even something like the HSGI Mag-Net. I used a EGL Loppy in my first few classes and found that once I started storing things in there (you'll see in some of the live-action pictures I cited that I even sometimes pop my drink or my bipod in there, if I didn't have time to store them properly), these tend to swing and dangle just a bit too much for my liking. So I dug around in my old airsoft stuff, and found an awesome (and sadly now discontinued) Eagle Industries SAS-DMP sitting in a box, so I repurposed it, and I've been really happy with it. If you get a chance, this is the one thing that I would encourage shooters to try different setups of, as your individual tastes and how you intend to use the dump can make a lot of difference with user-satisfaction, here.

As you can see, my "war-belt" setup is a bit unconventional. It's not designed for me to "fight," per-se, but rather, so that I can successfully LEARN how to do so, so that I not only have the ability to successfully run my guns, with enough ammo to last through even the highest round-count evolutions, but also so that I can take notes and keep myself well-hydrated throughout.

:)

What I equipped my daughter with below is much more typical:

View attachment 2193

Left to right -
  • feeds the guns - Raven Concealment Systems Sonny Rig supported by a single pistol ESSTAC shorty
  • keeps her safe - BFG CAT TQ NOW! pouch and Micro Trauma Kit NOW! - this setup, much as mine, allows for ambidextrous access; you'll also note the Grimlock clip in front of the holster, much like where I have mine
  • RCS Phantom holster for my XDm or a RCS Perun for her Glock
As I noted in my reply to Grifter above (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/battle-belt.690/#post-13511), @Annihilator , there's really currently two main "battle belt" setups: one that's slimmer and more like a traditional "police duty belt," and the other more like a weightlifter's belt in terms of width (but typically *not* support). Kinda like the dump-pouch, this separation in the line is where most shooters will get benefit out of being able to try out a few different setups to see what they like, as each has its strengths and weaknesses. For example, while the more traditional setup offers a lower profile, it can sometimes transfer "focused" weight to the waist of the shooter. And while the latter, wider setup definitely helps minimize that kind of hot-spot, some shooters dislike it because the increased coverage area around the waist and back make them feel hotter, and also because if the fit is a little off, these types of "overbelts" can shift and move around awkwardly as the shooter moves his/her body.

Regardless, unlike armor, "battle/war-belts" are oftentimes more considered second-line gear (especially when the sidearm/handgun is attached to the shooter's main pants belt and is only routed through the battle/war-belt). It allows the shooter to be able to access his/her main source of ammunition at the waistline in much the same way that their first-line gear would, and thus helps build primacy and speed. (That said, you'll also see many times that modern SWAT/urban LE will forego this type of belt and instead make "low-profile" plate carriers their main load-bearing platform - this is because while the battle/war-belt allows ammunition and other vital gear to be accessed at the waist, they often will increase the overall width/girth of the individual to a level that makes it difficult for them to in/egress via residential windows.)

Hope this helps give you a bit of insight into "war belts"/"battle belts," @Annihilator ! :)
Thanks, that clears it up for me, the pics help, I may have to invest in something like this, thanks again.

Here is my setup at the moment. It provides a very stable platform that carries all the ammo I need. If I felt I needed more I would wear my plate carrier.

Like I said earlier, I think my wife would like it. Haha after playing with it and adjusting it to the tighest settings, I got it to fit her perfectly. Time to order one.
20200217_201008.jpg

Back