testtest

Are silencers worth the money?

10mmLife

Staff member
Founding Member
I purchased a Rugged silencer recently (my first silencer) for an Aero .300 Blk pistol I put together and now I'm at let's wait a small eternity for the tax stamp to be approved stage and I was wondering if the price of a silencer plus the $200 tax stamp and going though the extensive wait period (up to a year) is worth it in the end. Thoughts?

IMO "suppressors" are a niche item that have their place.

In Europe, with their higher population densities, suppressors are commonly bought over-the-counter to reduce disturbing folks with the noise of gun fire.

The 300 Blkout was built for suppressor use, and eForms are processed faster than hard copies.

IMO "suppressors" are a niche item that have their place.

In Europe, with their higher population densities, suppressors are commonly bought over-the-counter to reduce disturbing folks with the noise of gun fire.

The 300 Blkout was built for suppressor use, and eForms are processed faster than hard copies.
I purchased a silencer in July and complete process tool a little less than 4 months. SilencerShop purchase and customer service was awesome . Did paperwork using their kiosk.

Yes, 100% safe hearing is safe hearing. even with hearing protection, sometimes that is not enough think of the concussion you get while shooting under covered areas, shooting blinds or next to a wall. For police especially you grab the rifle and go, you probably are not grabbing hearing pro.

Last edited:
I purchased a silencer in July and complete process tool a little less than 4 months. SilencerShop purchase and customer service was awesome . Did paperwork using their kiosk.
Silencer shop is where I bought my Rugged Razor they are top notch for service. Its encouraging to hear it did not take a year to receive approval.

Cans are great if you are shooting indoors. IE in a home defense situation. My nightstand gun has a can so I can fire it hearing safe. Having shot both rifles and pistols indoors without a can I can assure you, it is something you will want if the time ever comes.

Cans also make good sense for folks that will be shooting on their property but their neighbors are not gun friendly per say, or they are training new shooters. Want to hunt without ear pro? Use a can. Their cost and the hoops to jump through to get them depends on your personal situation, but I think a good multi-can is a solid investment for avid shooters.

Cans are great if you are shooting indoors. IE in a home defense situation. My nightstand gun has a can so I can fire it hearing safe. Having shot both rifles and pistols indoors without a can I can assure you, it is something you will want if the time ever comes.

Cans also make good sense for folks that will be shooting on their property but their neighbors are not gun friendly per say, or they are training new shooters. Want to hunt without ear pro? Use a can. Their cost and the hoops to jump through to get them depends on your personal situation, but I think a good multi-can is a solid investment for avid shooters.
I have an Odessa 9 mfg by Dead Air and use it more than I planned to. Good for practicing in private. In process of customizing system and ammo options to my nite stand XD 9.

My son in Alaska loves suppressors and owns several in various calibers. I just cannot justify the cost and hoops to jump through for them when electronic muffs work so well. I am nearly 70 and I am sure I have lost some hearing over the years before the importance of hearing protection while shooting came to light.

I too am interested in getting my first suppressor for my 300 Blk pistol. Question: I've read/heard there are different ways to go about obtaining/registering a suppressors. One is register by yourself, 2. forming a trust and registering it to that trust, and 3. registering it to a corporation. Some recommend a trust if you're going to purchase more than one suppressor (as I might later on), since the trust allows you to forgo the fingerprint, photograph and authority's signature portions of the registration process. I realize it would cost $$$ to set up this legal document, but wonder if in the long run if it might be easier to obtain future suppressors. Thoughts?

I too am interested in getting my first suppressor for my 300 Blk pistol. Question: I've read/heard there are different ways to go about obtaining/registering a suppressors. One is register by yourself, 2. forming a trust and registering it to that trust, and 3. registering it to a corporation. Some recommend a trust if you're going to purchase more than one suppressor (as I might later on), since the trust allows you to forgo the fingerprint, photograph and authority's signature portions of the registration process. I realize it would cost $$$ to set up this legal document, but wonder if in the long run if it might be easier to obtain future suppressors. Thoughts?
I would recommend speaking to a company like silencer shop to get a better understanding of the pros and cons of different ways to aquire a tax stamp. Also a lawyer friend of mine said if going the trust route, to hire a lawyer that specializes in trust work as the single shot and and cheap online basic trust won't hold up in a real court if ever needed.

I would recommend speaking to a company like silencer shop to get a better understanding of the pros and cons of different ways to aquire a tax stamp. Also a lawyer friend of mine said if going the trust route, to hire a lawyer that specializes in trust work as the single shot and and cheap online basic trust won't hold up in a real court if ever needed.
Thanks very much for the reply 10mmLife, I'll definitely look into that.

Unfortunately, you now have to have the photo and prints. This happened after the moron in Kalifornia went nuts with his cans.

I would reccomend the trust as you can add trustees and don't necessarily need to sell them.
With that being said keep in mind you still need to complete an additional background check when you pick up the can.
The trust usually runs $200 but you can often get discounts at gun shows.

Yes, they are more than worth it.

Check out Elite Irons selection. Their cans are phenomenal, a bit heavy bit that's what makes them as quiet. I have a 308 that sounds it quieter than a 22 (with subs).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you now have to have the photo and prints. This happened after the moron in Kalifornia went nuts with his cans.

I would reccomend the trust as you can add trustees and don't necessarily need to sell them.
With that being said keep in mind you still need to complete an additional background check when you pick up the can.
The trust usually runs $200 but you can often get discounts at gun shows.
Thanks Classified, I appreciate the feedback. BTW, how do you get the quote about Perfection ... to appear on you replies. I've seen other posters with personalized messages and wonder how to do that. Thanks

Back