testtest

Are silencers worth the money?

Just got back from the range after shooting the .300blk S&B 200gr subsonic ammo through the Rugged Razor and I have to say I am in love with this gun and suppressor combo! The shots sounded like a nail gun at most. There was another guy shooting .22lr suppressed next to me and the .300blk subsonic was noticably quieter then the .22lr standard velocity rounds being shot suppressed from the guy next to me.

I would highly recommend Rugged as a great option for a suppressor! 😁👍

Yeah, if it wasn't for the ridiculous government intervention and extortion I would probably have a couple suppressors. I've got friends with them and have shot suppressed pistols and ARs. The only practical use for them is the novelty of a much quieter range experience. Well, the only practical use that doesn't involve multiple felonies. I've got good hearing protection though so I won't be giving the government their bribe and waiting for a year for the privilege.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the ridiculous government intervention and extortion I would probably have a couple suppressors. I've got friends with them and have shot suppressed pistols and ARs. The only practical use for them is the novelty of a much quieter range experience. Well, the only practical use that doesn't involve multiple felonies. I've got good hearing protection though so I won't be giving the government their bribe and waiting for a year for the privilege.
One thing I don’t understand is when at the range with other shooters and not EVERYONE has a suppresser and you may be shooting your weapon suppressed but the guy/gal next to you is firing his/her WW2 cannon you will still need hearing protection.
I understand the at home defense factor completely I also understand as mentioned in this thread the ability to shoot heavier subsonic 300BO rounds and less felt recoil but are those factors enough to justify the cost or does it just come down to the “Wow and cool” factor?

I gotta respectfully disagree with that.

A suppressed .22 is incredibly handy to dispatch pests without annoying the neighbors; and, in the HD role it’s a difference of night & day when firing indoors; you may think you have good earpro, but the best stuff out there is NRR 30-32...and that's IF it's being worn with 100% efficiency (which it almost never is). A suppressor, otoh, is usually NRR 50, give or take...always.

I've shot a suppressed 10.5” 556 with a Surefire can on it inside a small interior room with bare walls...worst case scenario, really, and I deliberately didn't wear earpro. I’d say it was the equivalent of firing a .22 indoors; loud, yes, but not painful. Suppressed 9mm or .45 in the same situation was a non-issue.

Whereas, even with double earpro, a 10.5” 556 was pretty nasty unsupressed.

Personally, I’d like to see suppressors taken off the NFA and listed as a safety device...heck, go to Europe, or EnZedd, and it’s considered rude to hunt without a suppressor...when I was visiting friends in Auckland a while back, we went to a gun store...massive stock of suppressors, some disposable; good for 2-3 shots. Cost about $50, as I recall. The really funny thing? I couldn’t touch a gun there, but they’d hand me a suppressor with no problems...in fact, I could've bought any of them I wanted.

I gotta respectfully disagree with that.

A suppressed .22 is incredibly handy to dispatch pests without annoying the neighbors; and, in the HD role it’s a difference of night & day when firing indoors; you may think you have good earpro, but the best stuff out there is NRR 30-32...and that's IF it's being worn with 100% efficiency (which it almost never is). A suppressor, otoh, is usually NRR 50, give or take...always.

I've shot a suppressed 10.5” 556 with a Surefire can on it inside a small interior room with bare walls...worst case scenario, really, and I deliberately didn't wear earpro. I’d say it was the equivalent of firing a .22 indoors; loud, yes, but not painful. Suppressed 9mm or .45 in the same situation was a non-issue.

Whereas, even with double earpro, a 10.5” 556 was pretty nasty unsupressed.

Personally, I’d like to see suppressors taken off the NFA and listed as a safety device...heck, go to Europe, or EnZedd, and it’s considered rude to hunt without a suppressor...when I was visiting friends in Auckland a while back, we went to a gun store...massive stock of suppressors, some disposable; good for 2-3 shots. Cost about $50, as I recall. The really funny thing? I couldn’t touch a gun there, but they’d hand me a suppressor with no problems...in fact, I could've bought any of them I wanted.

i agree with them being off the NFA for sure. I have no issues with them, for me personally I can only see one real world use for them. Let's face it, the odds of me ever actually having to fire a weapon inside my home are slim and if it ever becomes necessary I doubt if I'll be worrying too much about the sound. I understand it's a lot louder inside or in a car or something, but think about this. I have literally fired thousands of rounds at quail, deer, etc. without hearing protection. I can't remember a single time it made my ears ring. On the other hand, Once or twice I've been caught at the range with my ears down while someone began shooting and my ears rang. If shooting indoors was a common thing I would agree with your point.

As to the neighbors, I don't have to worry about bothering any of them. I shoot in my backyard all the time anyway.

Also you can spend about $30 on Amazon and make a decent suppressor. You still better get the stamp though if you plan on using it legally.

The $30 solvent traps are a little sketchy (know people who have form 1’d them), but yeah, you can make a decent one for a lot less, and with only a couple weeks wait if you e-file.

I'd rather not spend the $200 on a tax stamp and wait almost a year for a mutt homemade suppressor unless it was a .22lr. I'd rather just spend the extra cash and get one with a great warranty. I'm a big proponent of using suppressors for keeping my hearing intact and like Hans mentioned above ear pro only offers limited protection.

Last edited:
I'd rather not spend the $200 on a tax stamp and wait almost a year for a mutt homemade suppressor I'd rather just spend the extra cash and get one with a great warranty. I'm a big proponent of using suppressors for keeping my hearing intact like Hans mentioned above ear pro only offers limited protection.

That’s the great thing about making your own—you can e-file a Form 1 (building one) and get it in a week or two; a transfer (Form4) takes almost a year.

I went out and purchased a Dead Air Mask HD suppressor last night for .22lr

Hopefully the NFA wait time won't be longer then my last suppressor which took 6 months for approval.

Here is a great test and review of the same suppressor I purchased where the reviewer tests different firearms suppressed and unsuppressed.

i absolutely love shooting my blackout suppressed. And I just have a short Energetic Armament Vox K can. No hearing protection needed for supersonic rounds.
recently I ran some heavy Hornady 200 grain subsonics an it was substantially quieter. Myblackout is my home defense and I don’t have to worry about not being able to hear the intruder after I fire a couple shots.
also, my .22 suppressors are SO much fun to shoot. To me it makes shooting more enjoyable.
I’m thinking about the Vox K as well. Do you think this short suppressor is as effective as a longer one? They seem pretty good from what I’ve read, but would like some 1st hand opinion.

Also, I’ve thought about getting this for my .300 BLK, but also thought about the idea of getting a thread converter for my 5.56 pistol and being able to use it on that firearm as well. Is this feasible? Any disadvantages of using a .30 cal suppressor on a .223/5.56 firearm?

I’m thinking about the Vox K as well. Do you think this short suppressor is as effective as a longer one? They seem pretty good from what I’ve read, but would like some 1st hand opinion.

Also, I’ve thought about getting this for my .300 BLK, but also thought about the idea of getting a thread converter for my 5.56 pistol and being able to use it on that firearm as well. Is this feasible? Any disadvantages of using a .30 cal suppressor on a .223/5.56 firearm?
There aren't any noticable disadvantages to using a .30cal can on a 5.56 and with some models of .30cal cans you can get a replacement end cap for 5.56 specifically.

AR's typically will not cycle when using subsonic ammo even while suppressed but when using standard velocity ammo you will reduce the sound signature significantly but it still may not be hearing safe.

If a shorter suppressor is what you're looking for you can get get the best of both worlds by investing in a modular suppressor which can be used in a long or short configuration. Check out the Rugged Surge 7.62 for a great modular option.

There aren't any noticable disadvantages to using a .30cal can on a 5.56 and with some models of .30cal cans you can get a replacement end cap for 5.56 specifically.

AR's typically will not cycle when using subsonic ammo even while suppressed but when using standard velocity ammo you will reduce the sound signature significantly but it still may not be hearing safe.

If a shorter suppressor is what you're looking for you can get get the best of both worlds by investing in a modular suppressor which can be used in a long or short configuration. Check out the Rugged Surge 7.62 for a great modular option.
Thanks. I’ll take a look. Just thinking about the short one as I have the Saint Victor Pistol in 5.56 (7.5”) and an 8.5” .300 BLK upper and seems like putting a long suppressor on either of them kind of takes away the advantage of a short barrel. Just not sure how much efficiency the shorter suppressor loses, if any.

Thanks. I’ll take a look. Just thinking about the short one as I have the Saint Victor Pistol in 5.56 (7.5”) and an 8.5” .300 BLK upper and seems like putting a long suppressor on either of them kind of takes away the advantage of a short barrel. Just not sure how much efficiency the shorter suppressor loses, if any.
It mostly depends on the suppressor for the sound suppression not so much the length within reasonable limitations. The Rugged Surge 9in and Razor 6in were tested and on a video I watched and the testers noted that even though the 9in Surge had a slightly quieter signature on the decible meter the 6in Razor had a more deaded sound to the testers which they preferred.

Reduced decibels are only half the battle of the benefits of the suppressor and tone of the suppressed round is the other half.

You'll need to pay close attention to the ratings of the suppressor—most 556 cans aren’t rated for 7.5” barrels, even if it's rated for a .300 in that length.

The link below is for a crazy short and quality 30 cal. can. Hans is right on about the 556. Short barrel 556 destroys most cans. I’d strongly suggest you CALL not email Tom at Bowers Group and tell him your application needs. He’s been in the industry for a long time and if he doesn’t make something that works for you he will tell you exactly who/what does. Caution, he’s talkative lol.

The link below is for a crazy short and quality 30 cal. can. Hans is right on about the 556. Short barrel 556 destroys most cans. I’d strongly suggest you CALL not email Tom at Bowers Group and tell him your application needs. He’s been in the industry for a long time and if he doesn’t make something that works for you he will tell you exactly who/what does. Caution, he’s talkative lol.

The Rugged Razor does not have a minimum barrel length for use with either .30cal or 5.56 though it's is a heavier can for it's size.

Last edited:
Back