testtest

BassCliff's G-Sight Laser Practice Range

BassCliff

Professional
Hi,

I'm not sure if I've ever shared this with you. I like practicing with m y G-Sight laser cartridge. The last time I practiced, my laser cartridge was getting lots of non-detected hits so I decided to install new batteries and the new back cap with a striker pad. For my hour and a half session this evening there were maybe two undetected hits. The kit is here: https://g-sight.com/collections/all-products/products/elms-back-cap

I'm checking my log to see when I started using mine. Looks like February of 2021. I've used mine an average of once a week since I started practicing with it, normally for at least a two hour session. I couldn't tell you how many thousands of laser shots I've taken before I replaced the battery and back cap/striker pad.

Let me show you the fun I had this evening. Because of rain all the July 4th fireworks shows were cancelled. So I figured, what better way to celebrate? I have my laser range set up in the basement. The floor is marked off with tape at 10', 20', and 30'.

AM-JKLVnuZwK_t4-MiJEBoaYFvgI1dj6Rvmdc_wZRmL8O3sjhfpOfGyLp5gZDbf7Ihq0NoMjj7S24uxF5f5fj22oKGMzLSQ7h_HOhTNn20T2AjUTRAGbeYBV87oTBm-deP_54QufRrVOIT9mfNzdgXWefTKdsA=w1236-h927-no

I also had my little TV turned on and tuned to a rowdy western with lots of gunplay. This was for distraction and to add stress. ;)

AM-JKLWwBoF5j4uJsyc8gy1bz3arRpBuAeO_1kispFS5RnOk1KIO61gt2fvdTAiryxeO4rr2df-t1ytvdoIbvPIOIBVZ6QVkWQVUH18Kst12kMW205y8Gksq_5ynX-CvK9HcQBMPy64p1FalPNvUqcjg8R5ORw=w1236-h927-no

I was practicing my draw from concealment but slow-fired on the B-8 center. Seems there always one that gets out of the 10 ring.

AM-JKLVqX_M_oYBpMfuDkTXPGwvzG70GBXpZiXHH2FfIi6_ueFJvnTUOy0DEbHWS9AwG8Oi_QxyA7eKfUAH-J5J8835M4bzuuPrudtmIxC8474ZQPXSe9b3QvJrtCVj3JS6z7A55XYjzQO2oiHNs2NsmtaELmg=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLVx_NRmh060uZBG8MhvFmuSMq5qSXgXB6NFoMstIfHIrPaJ6Xr2IYDOAy8TiGpeziQPyXSlQIDWFfozLiiD7FLevMoF3HlPYEqX5qfa7KflzwVqk_O0nSz1BeOzPUA24OkJgYAYhgh4hYmIq7id-AOhpw=w522-h927-no

AM-JKLV0JejX-oUXgHhc3vXWlIp7de2o1XQxZEXG_GPNmt_TNGF4osT7aZWNqDkpP6ZsPKyf-rhdydUEWCA4_w-kuYahOr9pnrytYvCSx0Bg_pOmTfPTytQr78Qh51I0Ww7-pKHG8tuYhtgDbfT5u_3IzMBjIQ=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLX9TwliguwUzqNsy9iqYP1nOZmFq4X8YNnEJ4iDH8UWURjvUahAaugkXoKqHgDMIs3eOxyKR4POF3R5z-ju_S16PokgB43dyEQJ1-91REBt3zhBioz79-7bo3mdJjd5mbPSPcUapwtj7rlu4IUwGo4CEQ=w522-h927-no

AM-JKLUWzKIEUeXfzvzn9CfPbn4ALyBk5dhsu9Qal7Q8Az0ai0YrYld2jnQotS9T-y7uwe_Mhdu-lSooc2jkImY3va3uwBGq7XPaA9Gqj5bcA0AH4F7Wij8rlHXA5nsPwzlLGCmpOleVf_LH7QHxiIaBCT6Sjg=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLUwJ911nzmo6e1rZtuKbxHPhV9yq-ePg-Lc33z2VFCIObHjdhFacoxy9gFVZlBkKHx7EI8vutitCdVAqAEmEFflBZhEc7wHUN-XFrJEjeM3ti7OkgAnWTs_N0G73aTi1VmOu6TJ7TX-dwVw-7AYXyRKsA=w522-h927-no

AM-JKLUqAxr-Goq10LK5-mewaIdCz5NI6K93nLYWuSuAofUDPKWyz9lgvhQ_OccV3-z_6bvrpfi0DMTdOYl8wkd9WDGn39eIr0Ci5riksZOMb6KnLXC6xYfsXdYxMNvcMNWAMnFBHddeglb2_fJHmGHHgu63Mg=w522-h927-no

Those were a few of the better B-8 targets. I shot at them for about an hour, mostly without my diopter shooting glasses. I know I won't be wearing those in a real-life situation. What that means is that I'm not only looking at a fuzzy target, I'm looking at fuzzy sights too.

Then I put my glasses on and tried a few rounds of quick-draw on the terrorist silhouette from 7 yards. I started really slow and gradually pushed myself over the half hour of quick-draw practice. Times started out well over 2 seconds. The last string is shown below.

AM-JKLVlCxoRXtWeT_M_aE_7IChYwlxZh-Be16rqzbCO_bgGNVJHYoLsatotMV11Qibnh9OKeHzPXAAVjdJE-PdaGA66DzIUZHKKKR6DHdXbpJhSKBQ4bcUAiPwdYVskU9NRdKgnbtO9-RRA6o6FXVK-ucr4LA=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLVqg6WypPaoggXvvJPDXSXvjvh9CVThczC0NsZGb5EHd6xHZD5x3qrhSV6idOCBbSUoG6haNXjQY1jyz2W4vM3HXYJKDPmwWTEeq8ex9sDQYj7PGk-Ix1-Y_Pvq6nZcCM1UxmDDsyIjV6sQtaCkfhq8Ng=w522-h927-no

AM-JKLUFk2czHJWZ_r94Rz3awFB2S_I69T2wdl9RAPaE9UtBfdNtHuWzszYOyBbvZUunfKPGLFEmoyMojzOGjSuV5p944K5_UxYqOHuacATA8lxxxa6J3M2R15RTH65KiZHTkgYds0ZndjgtAo3xmtmyjkLtVg=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLVwJH-mjzpibmzMx-oK1HPsRoo8yExLHyP4HIWXwHM7zl-YBG9nYLcfmDtBpRFOxwSxjCsdiNmKg6bI4H1C59B32j7YIjpEdpFZu8wiP1elCJ6gtX_a4Aj0wnP45r5NATVpT4H2AFV9TPkqzLB22uiUQg=w522-h927-no

AM-JKLU8eC7RbBrXJjW0IT2gixC2QwkZlSFf36Ur50zFp3oxNQypmVso1YjWlGsz3ElqshbT3YZ7ff9XutflkY-92hkB0mfmPDLQWLJUtNzZfCA2JgMbJ3RcwgKM7I8WUL5tcyqqYXIxLKt2nARmDE1EZpLnIg=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLW3BNG9PXBH26g0oXnS91OOM3-KVMPeQ2gZjUcospnlirwEZ4gk-DhSM4vGb8TLDaDPzUj6oMVRnVHxVNnoxbmWfKroDK7wjNQ9wE6a03kcNLRjZlHpGe9Tw8VESQH3tjkmBRroSRFYrV-ZH5e1HCg7Wg=w522-h927-no

I don't know what happened on those last two shots. I was not taking video of my draws. I either fumbled with my shirt or tried to over-refine my sight picture. Either way, there's more of this practice in my future. Again, starting really slow to refine the motions, and then punching it up. Thanks for playing along!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi,

I'm not sure if I've ever shared this with you. I like practicing with m y G-Sight laser cartridge. The last time I practiced, my laser cartridge was getting lots of non-detected hits so I decided to install new batteries and the new back cap with a striker pad. For my hour and a half session this evening there were maybe two undetected hits. The kit is here: https://g-sight.com/collections/all-products/products/elms-back-cap

I'm checking my log to see when I started using mine. Looks like February of 2021. I've used mine an average of once a week since I started practicing with it, normally for at least a two hour session. I couldn't tell you how many thousands of laser shots I've taken before I replaced the battery and back cap/striker pad.

Let me show you the fun I had this evening. Because of rain all the July 4th fireworks shows were cancelled. So I figured, what better way to celebrate? I have my laser range set up in the basement. The floor is marked off with tape at 10', 20', and 30'.

AM-JKLVnuZwK_t4-MiJEBoaYFvgI1dj6Rvmdc_wZRmL8O3sjhfpOfGyLp5gZDbf7Ihq0NoMjj7S24uxF5f5fj22oKGMzLSQ7h_HOhTNn20T2AjUTRAGbeYBV87oTBm-deP_54QufRrVOIT9mfNzdgXWefTKdsA=w1236-h927-no

I also had my little TV turned on and tuned to a rowdy western with lots of gunplay. This was for distraction and to add stress. ;)

AM-JKLWwBoF5j4uJsyc8gy1bz3arRpBuAeO_1kispFS5RnOk1KIO61gt2fvdTAiryxeO4rr2df-t1ytvdoIbvPIOIBVZ6QVkWQVUH18Kst12kMW205y8Gksq_5ynX-CvK9HcQBMPy64p1FalPNvUqcjg8R5ORw=w1236-h927-no

I was practicing my draw from concealment but slow-fired on the B-8 center. Seems there always one that gets out of the 10 ring.

AM-JKLVqX_M_oYBpMfuDkTXPGwvzG70GBXpZiXHH2FfIi6_ueFJvnTUOy0DEbHWS9AwG8Oi_QxyA7eKfUAH-J5J8835M4bzuuPrudtmIxC8474ZQPXSe9b3QvJrtCVj3JS6z7A55XYjzQO2oiHNs2NsmtaELmg=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLVx_NRmh060uZBG8MhvFmuSMq5qSXgXB6NFoMstIfHIrPaJ6Xr2IYDOAy8TiGpeziQPyXSlQIDWFfozLiiD7FLevMoF3HlPYEqX5qfa7KflzwVqk_O0nSz1BeOzPUA24OkJgYAYhgh4hYmIq7id-AOhpw=w522-h927-no

AM-JKLV0JejX-oUXgHhc3vXWlIp7de2o1XQxZEXG_GPNmt_TNGF4osT7aZWNqDkpP6ZsPKyf-rhdydUEWCA4_w-kuYahOr9pnrytYvCSx0Bg_pOmTfPTytQr78Qh51I0Ww7-pKHG8tuYhtgDbfT5u_3IzMBjIQ=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLX9TwliguwUzqNsy9iqYP1nOZmFq4X8YNnEJ4iDH8UWURjvUahAaugkXoKqHgDMIs3eOxyKR4POF3R5z-ju_S16PokgB43dyEQJ1-91REBt3zhBioz79-7bo3mdJjd5mbPSPcUapwtj7rlu4IUwGo4CEQ=w522-h927-no

AM-JKLUWzKIEUeXfzvzn9CfPbn4ALyBk5dhsu9Qal7Q8Az0ai0YrYld2jnQotS9T-y7uwe_Mhdu-lSooc2jkImY3va3uwBGq7XPaA9Gqj5bcA0AH4F7Wij8rlHXA5nsPwzlLGCmpOleVf_LH7QHxiIaBCT6Sjg=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLUwJ911nzmo6e1rZtuKbxHPhV9yq-ePg-Lc33z2VFCIObHjdhFacoxy9gFVZlBkKHx7EI8vutitCdVAqAEmEFflBZhEc7wHUN-XFrJEjeM3ti7OkgAnWTs_N0G73aTi1VmOu6TJ7TX-dwVw-7AYXyRKsA=w522-h927-no

AM-JKLUqAxr-Goq10LK5-mewaIdCz5NI6K93nLYWuSuAofUDPKWyz9lgvhQ_OccV3-z_6bvrpfi0DMTdOYl8wkd9WDGn39eIr0Ci5riksZOMb6KnLXC6xYfsXdYxMNvcMNWAMnFBHddeglb2_fJHmGHHgu63Mg=w522-h927-no

Those were a few of the better B-8 targets. I shot at them for about an hour, mostly without my diopter shooting glasses. I know I won't be wearing those in a real-life situation. What that means is that I'm not only looking at a fuzzy target, I'm looking at fuzzy sights too.

Then I put my glasses on and tried a few rounds of quick-draw on the terrorist silhouette from 7 yards. I started really slow and gradually pushed myself over the half hour of quick-draw practice. Times started out well over 2 seconds. The last string is shown below.

AM-JKLVlCxoRXtWeT_M_aE_7IChYwlxZh-Be16rqzbCO_bgGNVJHYoLsatotMV11Qibnh9OKeHzPXAAVjdJE-PdaGA66DzIUZHKKKR6DHdXbpJhSKBQ4bcUAiPwdYVskU9NRdKgnbtO9-RRA6o6FXVK-ucr4LA=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLVqg6WypPaoggXvvJPDXSXvjvh9CVThczC0NsZGb5EHd6xHZD5x3qrhSV6idOCBbSUoG6haNXjQY1jyz2W4vM3HXYJKDPmwWTEeq8ex9sDQYj7PGk-Ix1-Y_Pvq6nZcCM1UxmDDsyIjV6sQtaCkfhq8Ng=w522-h927-no

AM-JKLUFk2czHJWZ_r94Rz3awFB2S_I69T2wdl9RAPaE9UtBfdNtHuWzszYOyBbvZUunfKPGLFEmoyMojzOGjSuV5p944K5_UxYqOHuacATA8lxxxa6J3M2R15RTH65KiZHTkgYds0ZndjgtAo3xmtmyjkLtVg=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLVwJH-mjzpibmzMx-oK1HPsRoo8yExLHyP4HIWXwHM7zl-YBG9nYLcfmDtBpRFOxwSxjCsdiNmKg6bI4H1C59B32j7YIjpEdpFZu8wiP1elCJ6gtX_a4Aj0wnP45r5NATVpT4H2AFV9TPkqzLB22uiUQg=w522-h927-no

AM-JKLU8eC7RbBrXJjW0IT2gixC2QwkZlSFf36Ur50zFp3oxNQypmVso1YjWlGsz3ElqshbT3YZ7ff9XutflkY-92hkB0mfmPDLQWLJUtNzZfCA2JgMbJ3RcwgKM7I8WUL5tcyqqYXIxLKt2nARmDE1EZpLnIg=w522-h927-no
AM-JKLW3BNG9PXBH26g0oXnS91OOM3-KVMPeQ2gZjUcospnlirwEZ4gk-DhSM4vGb8TLDaDPzUj6oMVRnVHxVNnoxbmWfKroDK7wjNQ9wE6a03kcNLRjZlHpGe9Tw8VESQH3tjkmBRroSRFYrV-ZH5e1HCg7Wg=w522-h927-no

I don't know what happened on those last two shots. I was not taking video of my draws. I either fumbled with my shirt or tried to over-refine my sight picture. Either way, there's more of this practice in my future. Again, starting really slow to refine the motions, and then punching it up. Thanks for playing along!

BassCliff
nice set up. i have a similar set up in my basement. i use a "pink rhino" laser cartridge that i use in conjunction with a free app called "laser hit". it has helped me with trigger press and general gun handling. also, it is fun.

Hi,

nice set up. i have a similar set up in my basement. i use a "pink rhino" laser cartridge that i use in conjunction with a free app called "laser hit". it has helped me with trigger press and general gun handling. also, it is fun.

Thanks! It gives me an excuse to keep my basement clean. I like to invite my daughter and son-in-law over for laser practice. Sometimes Mrs. BassCliff will join us too. I've seen the Pink Rhino cartridge on Amazon. It's very similar to the Gen 2 G-Sight unit that I bought from Amazon. I went ahead and bought a couple of the Gen 3 ELMS G-Sight units because they now have the replaceable striker pads on the new back cap that they are selling as a kit. I also have the 'Laser Hit' app on my tablet and another free app called 'Splits' on my phone. 'Splits' is a live fire timer but I normally use my PACT timer. There's really no excuse for me to shoot so badly. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, these tools help me with everything but recoil management/anticipation, great when you can't get to the range.

BassCliff

Hi guys,

Looks like a very cool training tool and set up 👍

Work on that “one that gets away” 😜😜

Kidding… well done sir, well done

Thanks! Yes, I'm trying to be more deliberate and consistent. I sometimes find myself breaking the shot even though I know it's not lined up. I just get lazy and lose concentration. I've heard that happens when you get old. 😝

The one that gets away is for the bullet gods.

I see. I suppose they need a sacrifice once in a while. 😁

Yes, very nice setup, great training aid, thanks again for your posts

Thanks for your kind words. It's really not much of a setup, but it helps. This old noob needs all the help he can get. 👍

Pretty slick Cliff.

Thanks Bob. I will have to do something will all those basses standing in the corner come winter time. Maybe if I buy a big enough gun safe? ;)

Nice setup my laser cartridges and targets helped with boredom from driving me crazy during lock down.

Thanks. I know what you mean. When ammo was really tough to find my laser helped to keep up what little skills I had and didn't cost an arm and a leg. Plus, it's just fun! :)

BassCliff

Hi,

Thanks! It gives me an excuse to keep my basement clean. I like to invite my daughter and son-in-law over for laser practice. Sometimes Mrs. BassCliff will join us too. I've seen the Pink Rhino cartridge on Amazon. It's very similar to the Gen 2 G-Sight unit that I bought from Amazon. I went ahead and bought a couple of the Gen 3 ELMS G-Sight units because they now have the replaceable striker pads on the new back cap that they are selling as a kit. I also have the 'Laser Hit' app on my tablet and another free app called 'Splits' on my phone. 'Splits' is a live fire timer but I normally use my PACT timer. There's really no excuse for me to shoot so badly. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, these tools help me with everything but recoil management/anticipation, great when you can't get to the range.

BassCliff
i wish the results i get with the laser trainer translated fully to live fire. if it did i wouldn't have to go through so much ammo at the range! it is a good tool but no substitute for live fire. i use my "basement range" 3-4 times a week for about 10-15 minutes. i "shoot" from different angles, with movement etc... makes it interesting.
i also have a light sensitive nightlight set up too. the kind that turns on automatically when it gets dark. it is set up in a spot dark enough for the light to be on but light enough to see the light sensor in the front. i aim for the light sensor and when the laser hits it the nightlight will momentarily turn off indicating a hit. i saw it on web somewhere. cheap fun. i only go out to about 3 yard with it. if i can find the video i took i will post it.

Hi,

BassCliff
Very cool 😎

Hi,

i wish the results i get with the laser trainer translated fully to live fire. if it did i wouldn't have to go through so much ammo at the range! it is a good tool but no substitute for live fire. i use my "basement range" 3-4 times a week for about 10-15 minutes. i "shoot" from different angles, with movement etc... makes it interesting.
i also have a light sensitive nightlight set up too. the kind that turns on automatically when it gets dark. it is set up in a spot dark enough for the light to be on but light enough to see the light sensor in the front. i aim for the light sensor and when the laser hits it the nightlight will momentarily turn off indicating a hit. i saw it on web somewhere. cheap fun. i only go out to about 3 yard with it. if i can find the video i took i will post it.

I agree. For some reason I just don't get the same groups between live fire and laser. I think I just suck. 😉

That's a slick trick with the night light. You can buy fancy laser-sensitive targets but they ain't cheap.

I haven't incorporated a lot of motion in my basement but I certainly could. Great idea, shoot around corners (slicing the pie), from behind cover, etc. I'll start using that. Thanks for the reminder.

BassCliff

Hi,

I agree. For some reason I just don't get the same groups between live fire and laser. I think I just suck. 😉

That's a slick trick with the night light. You can buy fancy laser-sensitive targets but they ain't cheap.

I haven't incorporated a lot of motion in my basement but I certainly could. Great idea, shoot around corners (slicing the pie), from behind cover, etc. I'll start using that. Thanks for the reminder.

BassCliff
It’s not you Cliff. Laser training is all good and fine but it’s not the same as live fire. My personal opinion is that matters of accuracy/ marksmanship are not benefitted much by laser training.

Hi,

It’s not you Cliff. Laser training is all good and fine but it’s not the same as live fire. My personal opinion is that matters of accuracy/ marksmanship are not benefitted much by laser training.

Oh, I think it's definitely me. :p I have found that if I practice laser dry fire enough, correctly and thoroughly, it can be beneficial if, and that's a big IF, I bring the exact same sight picture and trigger pull to the range. Of course, I need to leave out the flinch from anticipated recoil. One of these days I'll get totally over that hurdle. :D

I'll try to put my theory into practice today. ;)

BassCliff

Back