testtest

Hellcat Pro Optic help/suggestions

Popo50

Alpha
Good Morning Everyone!

I recently just got ahold of a hellcat pro and am needing suggestions on a red dot for it. I am a trijicon guy and have RMRs on most of my handguns. I noticed they have a rebate for RMRcc currently and was wondering if anyone has an RMRcc mounted on their hellcat. Also I noticed Shield came out with Glass panes for their RMSc. Anyone have any experience with Shield red dots? The only reason I havent considered shield so far is because its a polymer and not glass. Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

Stay safe out there!

-Popo50

Last edited:
I have the Shield RMSc on my Hellcat for almost 3 years now, still on the original battery and polymer window. I was looking at the glass window but a retired LEO I often see at the range showed me his with the polymer lens he's had on his a lot longer than I've had mine. He said to just pick up the LensPen Law Enforcement Kit to keep it clean and scratch free. I bought one before my sight arrived and have used it to keep my RMSc spotless and scratch free. He also recommended Dream Plastic optic covers to protect the RMSc when in storage which I think also helps extend battery life although I pocket carry which also helps. Here's the links: https://lenspen.com/collections/sport-optics/products/lenspen-outdoor-pro-kit-for-law-enforcement

Edit to correct auto correct.

Last edited:
I persoanlly have a Holosun 407k on mine. I got the plate from CH precision and mounted it that way. Other people have filed down the recoil lugs in the rear I believe and mounted them straight to the slide.

I persoanlly have a Holosun 407k on mine. I got the plate from CH precision and mounted it that way. Other people have filed down the recoil lugs in the rear I believe and mounted them straight to the slide.
I did the same and I haven't had any issues. It's one of the guns I shoot regularly as it's one of my main carry guns.

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 274
I have the Shield RMSc on my Hellcat for almost 3 years now, still on the original battery and polymer window. I was looking at the glass window but a retired LEO I often see at the range showed me his with the polymer lens he's had on his a lot longer than I've had mine. He said to just pick up the LensPen Law Enforcement Kit to keep it clean and scratch free. I bought one before my sight arrived and have used it to keep my RMSc spotless and scratch free. He also recommended Dream Plastic optic covers to protect the RMSc when in storage which I think also helps extend battery life although I pocket carry which also helps. Here's the links: https://lenspen.com/collections/sport-optics/products/lenspen-outdoor-pro-kit-for-law-enforcement

Edit to correct auto correct.
Did you use a C&H precision plate under it ? Did it fit with full co-witness ?

Late to the party but IMHO, the CrimsonTrace CT RAD Micro Pro (red) is the best optic for the Hellcat outside of Holosun. Holosuns are great, but sit higher and require extra funds for a plate.

Late to the party but IMHO, the CrimsonTrace CT RAD Micro Pro (red) is the best optic for the Hellcat outside of Holosun. Holosuns are great, but sit higher and require extra funds for a plate.
I like the features of the CT RAD Micro Pro but it won't fit the Hellcat Pro. I'm going to try the Shield RMSc.

I like the features of the CT RAD Micro Pro but it won't fit the Hellcat Pro. I'm going to try the Shield RMSc.
It does directly mount to the Hellcat and Hellcat Pro. It uses the same Shield RMS JPoint footprint.

The Shield seemed to need a proprietary tool to zero, and IIRC, there's no positive "click" when turning the screw for zeroing, but doesn't seems to be an issue. I seen several YouTubers and members on other forums complain about the auto adjustment feature. In head to head drop test vs other micro red dots, the Shield didn't do well and had more damage when/if dropped. The Shield is $100 more than the CT RAD Micro Pro while not really offering anything over the RAD Micro Pro.

If you ever are in need of a second red dot, give one a try. I was personally going to go with the Shield for my Shield Plus and Hellcat until a forum member on DefensiveCarry who shoots a lot and does a lot of training classes went from swearing by it, to not liking them. He has switched to Holosuns on all his pistols now.

Last edited:
I've also been very happy with the Swampfox Sentinel that I've run on my P365XL for the past year. It uses the same RMSc footprint, so need need for an adapter plate. And the 2032 battery, combined with 'shake awake' = an impressively long battery life.

It does directly mount to the Hellcat and Hellcat Pro. It uses the same Shield RMS JPoint footprint.

The Shield seemed to need a proprietary tool to zero, and IIRC, there's no positive "click" when turning the screw for zeroing, but doesn't seems to be an issue. I seen several YouTubers and members on other forums complain about the auto adjustment feature. In head to head drop test vs other micro red dots, the Shield didn't do well and had more damage when/if dropped. The Shield is $100 more than the CT RAD Micro Pro while not really offering anything over the RAD Micro Pro.

If you ever are in need of a second red dot, give one a try. I was personally going to go with the Shield for my Shield Plus and Hellcat until a forum member on DefensiveCarry who shoots a lot and does a lot of training classes went from swearing by it, to not liking them. He has switched to Holosuns on all his pistols now.
I see my mistake, I need the "Micro Pro". Thanks for the heads-up

I've also been very happy with the Swampfox Sentinel that I've run on my P365XL for the past year. It uses the same RMSc footprint, so need need for an adapter plate. And the 2032 battery, combined with 'shake awake' = an impressively long battery life.
I second the Swampfox Sentinel, I have it attached to my Xds Mod 2 OSP and love it. Went with the Iron sides shield to go with it as well.

I have RMR's on my FNX-45 and 1911's. I have Vortex Viper (OpMod from Optics Planet that has it in FDE cerakote) on my XD-M Elite OSP and my XD-M .45 that I am Cerakoting in Digital Desert MARPAT. I also have a Leupold Deltapoint Pro on my Sig M-18.

The Deltapoint pro is too big IMO. I've also found that with only a couple shooting sessions, you've trained yourself to use the red dot sight, have the muscle memory and can easily make a very quick acquisition of the red dot in an average sized window, just as fast as a larger window of the Deltpoint Pro. So, for me at least, the Delatpoint pro is just to big and only gets in the way with the extra size.

The Vortex Venom/Viper, two different models but so close they are pretty much the same, I found worked just as well as my RMR in typical recreational shooting. The Vortex has a clearer window, while the RMR is tinted. I suspect the RMR tinting comes from optics properties designed into the glass for performance in extreme environments.

So yes, I'm sure the RMR would perform better than the Vortex in extreme environments of excess glare and light or damper environments. But the Vortex is also half the price if not less than the half the price of the RMR if you find a good deal.

I have RMR's on my FNX-45 and 1911's. I have Vortex Viper (OpMod from Optics Planet that has it in FDE cerakote) on my XD-M Elite OSP and my XD-M .45 that I am Cerakoting in Digital Desert MARPAT. I also have a Leupold Deltapoint Pro on my Sig M-18.

The Deltapoint pro is too big IMO. I've also found that with only a couple shooting sessions, you've trained yourself to use the red dot sight, have the muscle memory and can easily make a very quick acquisition of the red dot in an average sized window, just as fast as a larger window of the Deltpoint Pro. So, for me at least, the Delatpoint pro is just to big and only gets in the way with the extra size.

The Vortex Venom/Viper, two different models but so close they are pretty much the same, I found worked just as well as my RMR in typical recreational shooting. The Vortex has a clearer window, while the RMR is tinted. I suspect the RMR tinting comes from optics properties designed into the glass for performance in extreme environments.

So yes, I'm sure the RMR would perform better than the Vortex in extreme environments of excess glare and light or damper environments. But the Vortex is also half the price if not less than the half the price of the RMR if you find a good deal.
I think the Deltapoint Pro is more geared for range and competition use, and the RMR is more for duty and EDC use. For competition, I'd prefer the bigger Deltapoint Pro, but I go with RMRs preferably or Holosuns for carry.

I think the Deltapoint Pro is more geared for range and competition use, and the RMR is more for duty and EDC use. For competition, I'd prefer the bigger Deltapoint Pro, but I go with RMRs preferably or Holosuns for carry.
The rumor is, the Army has selected the Deltapoint Pro for their M-17/M-18. The Deltapoint Pro seems plenty rugged to me, but I would agree, the toughest one of the bunch would be the RMR, I'm confident you could run it over with a truck and it won't break. I have a suspicion the Army selected the Deltapoint Pro because it has the biggest window. And when I was shopping for my first RDS, I thought the biggest factor for performance would be the size of the window. I have learned since, after getting acquainted with shooting with several different RDS's. The average sized window is all you need, bigger windows may be nice, but not worth the down side of the size creating all the problems.

When I shot on a cold rainy day, I noticed my Deltapoint Pro fogged up while my RMR did NOT. But, that might be because the Deltapoint Pro's lens was dirtier than the RMR.

The Vortex and other sub-$200 RDS, I can see the argument they are less rugged and more geared to range use. It does appear they are able to keep the price down by foregoing all the extra's for the rare exception condition and be less rugged. And that cold rainy day, my Vortex was the first to fog and fogged the worst of the three.

The Deltapoint Pro's huge window, and thus size is its biggest downside, the space creates more problems with holstering, drawing, catching on things while handling. And the other part of that size, I'm pretty sure, the larger window results in a larger base (the whole thing works off geometry and angles with the window slant and curve and the LED in the base) and the Deltapoint Pro's base is too large and creates problems with co-witness sights. There are no sights made for most pistols that will be tall enough to co-witness with the Deltapoint pro. The Deltapoint Pro has provisions to mount a rear sight on the back of it, and Leupold sells a rear sight you can mount on it, but no front sight. My M-18, I have tried two different front sights with a rear aperture, the best I can do with the improvise iron sights with the Deltapoint Pro is 3" high from POA.

Back