testtest

Anyone carry a Mil-Spec 1911? If so let’s talk about the pros and cons

I have been carrying a Colt Commander for 2 weeks while waiting for a replacement front sight for my P220. This morning I shot the Gold Gup National Match on the qualification course and I gotta tell you I am liking these 1911's for carry more and more. I just wish the sights were bigger on the Commander.

I have carried my Springfield Mil-Spec as my EDC for a few years now. I put on average 100 rounds through it every week, plus running classes and taking classes with it which can end up being several hundred or a thousand rounds during the class.

I carry Chip McCormick magazines exclusively so I have 8+1 rounds plus two spare mags on my belt. It lately has ridden in a Galco Royal Guard II, but also a Milt Sparks Versa Max and a Galco Vertical shoulder holster and a Jackass Rig.

For about the first 15,000 rounds or so it was absolutely flawless. I just swapped recoil & firing pin springs every 5,000 rounds with Wolff Springs (16 lbs.). Then somewhere around the 15,000 round, mark the tip of the extractor came off. I replaced that with a Wilson bulletproof extractor. No problems since.

The only other non stock parts are the grips and mainspring housing. I replaced the grips with Hogue rosewood diamond checkered grips. The mainspring housing with an EGW lanyard ring mainspring housing.

A .45 ACP 1911 has been my predominant carry gun since 1992. There have occasionally been others but I always go back to the Government Model.

Pros: many
Cons: none

Like Hayes, I carry my Sig 220 or Colt Combat Commander, but only when I can carry either under a coat. During the summer months I carry my little S & W Shield in the pocket of my cargo shorts or jeans using a pocket holster so they don't print. I figure if any of the soccer moms ask if I'm carrying, I'll tell them no, apparently it's obvious I'm just glad to see them! Should end the conversation quickly. ;)

Sure do, year round. KORE BELT, SOUTHERN COMFORT HOLSTER, SAM BROWNE STRAP (Takes care of weight issue). FEDERAL PUNCH AMMO, EXTRA MAG.

Attachments

• 20220603_195642.jpg
    20220603_195642.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
I have, on occasion, carried a 1911 in a leather shoulder rig. Usually at formal things. Just feels more classy. I have a "Tactical" rig that will hold a commander size pistol, but frankly the only way I see myself wearing that is if I have a couple other guns taking up real estate on my belt. And what are the odds I will do that ? :unsure:

I can conceal a 4" XD mod 2 in .45 in an OWB with an overshirt or jacket very easily. 13 rds beats 8.

Like Hayes, I carry my Sig 220 or Colt Combat Commander, but only when I can carry either under a coat. During the summer months I carry my little S & W Shield in the pocket of my cargo shorts or jeans using a pocket holster so they don't print. I figure if any of the soccer moms ask if I'm carrying, I'll tell them no, apparently it's obvious I'm just glad to see them! Should end the conversation quickly. ;)
Lends a whole new meaning to cocked and locked. 🫣😵‍💫😬😂😂😂

Or is that a semi auto in your pocket or are you happy to see me?

I have been carrying one of my Garrisons lately but have been staying around the house, range or lease. I will also carry my EMP or Commander size more often than a full size but my primary carry would be a Plus/Hellcat. If you are comfortable then carry it.
Yep, there’s carry and then there’s carrying. To and from the car is lots different than working all day on your feet.

Ive been packing the 10mm full size getting used to it prior to hunting season. Ordered some professional grade suspenders this evening for field use. Kinda wanting to avoid the chest rigs.

Yep, there’s carry and then there’s carrying. To and from the car is lots different than working all day on your feet.

Ive been packing the 10mm full size getting used to it prior to hunting season. Ordered some professional grade suspenders this evening for field use. Kinda wanting to avoid the chest rigs.
Yeah, try getting in holes you just dug in the street with a backhoe to uncover buried utilities with a shovel while wearing a level 3A vest with a .45 Shield IWB. It can be done effectively. I did it for years. I wouldn't want to do it with a 1911.

Hi gang!

A couple of days ago I received my order of two CMC 10 round magazines for my new Garrison. I know it would be difficult to conceal with the extended mag. But winter is coming and I'll be wearing more/larger outer garments. I need to research a mag carrier for this. I don't have any single stacks.

AL9nZEWOIGiT0mAKmfK98RcZ2otmVLnHrIVxNC2gYbt17GT91uAo3OwaKutgzHM_ZoPxGODagmg-iqQn9qWrpS5zuQ-j2Eoaul2YjI_DQmFFX8A5g8z8A0SSueXPr738lG6nsIDjohUlXdMJuhE1v3uQUw2dow=w1236-h927-no

I've been considering carrying my Garrison, at least on occasion. I just received a couple of holsters, enough to get my training started. They are from Raw Dog Tactical, very reasonably priced. For IWB I have one of their "Defender Pro Series", a hybrid with kydex shell and leather back. I also have DCC clips for this one. For OWB you see their "Guardian Pro Series".

AL9nZEW91PCLiMouJgDQBnIZQT7jMvdYkCIwR2AU14kt6dtYNZwJU1s-1WLlCMI4h7CuWwPakFTi6AZRiSHdsAEkRDj0hWf4w0z5Q3UBpQ8Knh8hI24ERSYtVPQoEqckpeduG9-wTp9IqLxmiBt6I60_S3cYDw=w1236-h927-no

AL9nZEVH9jQ--mMgODf8xTPYdJWCyz9N7vtLnI5Hl0rxz17qb2IQw5sjjSDS90wAvQ3OeYUHFz01h9I2gWoz1OhwVfUPJAKb3WONyGhfsybUtaDiThWd4iaefZb1MnHcgb29Vht3vobs6VDOtmLFtHamTPTXSg=w1236-h927-no

You might remember that I have one of their IWB leather holsters for my XD9. It has a deep conceal and is really comfy.

AL9nZEVTRFT_Bbi14QyeagUv-9tEvh5yz9EXou0w-Ljy-0wcvxajf5labTsIXz5cgletIkZwJT7gd8vli4y4sTLYLccCNWZZw7XuvX_pwsEG7F3U4XAzp5ddyCwPRSJO-Qtr-M_5S-sDRrfbfw3W2Kc2KKw_Qw=w1112-h748-no

These "value priced" holsters for my 1911 will give me a chance to train with my Garrison and decide whether or not it will work for carry in the real world, not just at the range. I'll also practice with them down in my basement laser range. I need to install the DCC clips, check and adjust the cant and retention, etc. I enjoy geeking out with this stuff. ;) If I decide to carry the .45 often, then I will invest in a more worthy holster. I just thought I'd start out with a bang-for-your-buck solution. Please don't think any less of me. As if you could. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi gang!

A couple of days ago I received my order of two CMC 10 round magazines for my new Garrison. I know it would be difficult to conceal with the extended mag. But winter is coming and I'll be wearing more/larger outer garments. I need to research a mag carrier for this. I don't have any single stacks.

AL9nZEWOIGiT0mAKmfK98RcZ2otmVLnHrIVxNC2gYbt17GT91uAo3OwaKutgzHM_ZoPxGODagmg-iqQn9qWrpS5zuQ-j2Eoaul2YjI_DQmFFX8A5g8z8A0SSueXPr738lG6nsIDjohUlXdMJuhE1v3uQUw2dow=w1236-h927-no

I've been considering carrying my Garrison, at least on occasion. I just received a couple of holsters, enough to get my training started. They are from Raw Dog Tactical, very reasonably priced. For IWB I have one of their "Defender Pro Series", a hybrid with kydex shell and leather back. I also have DCC clips for this one. For OWB you see their "Guardian Pro Series".

AL9nZEW91PCLiMouJgDQBnIZQT7jMvdYkCIwR2AU14kt6dtYNZwJU1s-1WLlCMI4h7CuWwPakFTi6AZRiSHdsAEkRDj0hWf4w0z5Q3UBpQ8Knh8hI24ERSYtVPQoEqckpeduG9-wTp9IqLxmiBt6I60_S3cYDw=w1236-h927-no

AL9nZEVH9jQ--mMgODf8xTPYdJWCyz9N7vtLnI5Hl0rxz17qb2IQw5sjjSDS90wAvQ3OeYUHFz01h9I2gWoz1OhwVfUPJAKb3WONyGhfsybUtaDiThWd4iaefZb1MnHcgb29Vht3vobs6VDOtmLFtHamTPTXSg=w1236-h927-no

You might remember that I have one of their IWB leather holsters for my XD9. It has a deep conceal and is really comfy.

AL9nZEVTRFT_Bbi14QyeagUv-9tEvh5yz9EXou0w-Ljy-0wcvxajf5labTsIXz5cgletIkZwJT7gd8vli4y4sTLYLccCNWZZw7XuvX_pwsEG7F3U4XAzp5ddyCwPRSJO-Qtr-M_5S-sDRrfbfw3W2Kc2KKw_Qw=w1112-h748-no

These "value priced" holsters for my 1911 will give me a chance to train with my Garrison and decide whether or not it will work for carry in the real world, not just at the range. I'll also practice with them down in my basement laser range. I need to install the DCC clips, check and adjust the cant and retention, etc. I enjoy geeking out with this stuff. ;) If I decide to carry the .45 often, then I will invest in a more worthy holster. I just thought I'd start out with a bang-for-your-buck solution. Please don't think any less of me. As if you could. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
I would stick to OWB or shoulder rigs for full size 1911s.

Back