testtest

Suppressor Question

Yep. It’s simply insane. You can get an NFA firearm approved in 2 weeks, but it takes going on a year to get an accessory to a firearm. Makes no sense whatsoever.
I probably get 90 days added to my approval wait from the ATF every time I say “Inept”🤔😆

1670556602860.gif

After a 289 day wait, I got denied for “Background Check Unresolved”. I have bought numerous firearms over the years. I have had a Concealed Carry Permit in Georgia for around 15 years now during which I’ve had to reapply every 5 years. I did have an issue or two when I applied for my first permit, but the subsequent applications have gone through with no issue. Last time I had any trouble was in 1979 or early 1980. Because of this, I don’t even know what to fix. Is there a way to find out what in my background check is “unresolved”? I’m wondering if this examiner may have misinterpreted something, but I don’t know what it would be. I’m at a loss..

After a 289 day wait, I got denied for “Background Check Unresolved”. I have bought numerous firearms over the years. I have had a Concealed Carry Permit in Georgia for around 15 years now during which I’ve had to reapply every 5 years. I did have an issue or two when I applied for my first permit, but the subsequent applications have gone through with no issue. Last time I had any trouble was in 1979 or early 1980. Because of this, I don’t even know what to fix. Is there a way to find out what in my background check is “unresolved”? I’m wondering if this examiner may have misinterpreted something, but I don’t know what it would be. I’m at a loss..
You’ll have to use the “ask the experts” tab on efile system online
Give all your pertinent info on the suppressor submission like control number, etc in the email.
Ask them why ?

You’ll have to use the “ask the experts” tab on efile system online
Give all your pertinent info on the suppressor submission like control number, etc in the email.
Ask them why ?
I’ll try that too. I’ve emailed another address - ipb@usdoj.gov Haven’t heard back from them. I also asked SS and they gave me a phone number to call at the FBI to see if they can help resolve it or let me know the issue. Just more work at a bad time. This just sucks.

I’ll try that too. I’ve emailed another address - ipb@usdoj.gov Haven’t heard back from them. I also asked SS and they gave me a phone number to call at the FBI to see if they can help resolve it or let me know the issue. Just more work at a bad time. This just sucks.
I feel for you.
I submitted one in Jan ‘22 and got denied in July due to lack of fingerprints, but yet the fingerprint submission from the LGS says accepted with a time/date stamp.
Admin is slow rolling everyone.
Want us to give up
Prob just added another 60 days to mine with this posting

Somehow I’ve got to figure it out. I got in some trouble when I was a kid back in 1979 & 1980. 40+ years ago still coming back to haunt me. It’s just not right. Like I said, there were some things I needed to get straightened out on the record back 15 - 20 years ago for my first carry permit, but subsequent applications were all approved without incident or delay. So I’m not exactly sure what got this denied. I’m sure it’s going to take some work and hopefully it’ll get worked out. I’ll let you know if I get a resolution.

I do have another pending from 4/19. I’m curious if that will get denied as well or if I’ll get an approval on that one. Not holding my breath right now…

You should be able to go to the local courthouse in the jurisdiction you said you had past history with getting in trouble and request any info on yourself that would determine you to be potentially unfit on the background check.

A friend of mine had to do this recently for a minor court appearance he had when he turned 18, which was over 20 some odd years ago. He was applying for a concealed carry license in Massachusetts and eventually got everything resolved. I'm not sure of what he did with the info to get this resolved but I was told that is where he started.

In Massachusetts they have a legal plea called "continued without a finding" which someone can use in certain instances of minor charges where the charges are dropped after a set period of time if the person does not do anything wrong.

The continued without a finding screws with the federal background check system where it's technically viewed as an admission of guilt by the federal government because this plea does not exist in federal law, even though a person is never found guilty as the case is "continued without a finding". This plea is a big reason for denial in states that have this kinda law, even though the person is not found guilty it can appear as if a case is either open or undecided in the federal background check.

Does you're state have this type of plea?

Somehow I’ve got to figure it out. I got in some trouble when I was a kid back in 1979 & 1980. 40+ years ago still coming back to haunt me. It’s just not right. Like I said, there were some things I needed to get straightened out on the record back 15 - 20 years ago for my first carry permit, but subsequent applications were all approved without incident or delay. So I’m not exactly sure what got this denied. I’m sure it’s going to take some work and hopefully it’ll get worked out. I’ll let you know if I get a resolution.

I do have another pending from 4/19. I’m curious if that will get denied as well or if I’ll get an approval on that one. Not holding my breath right now…
Kinda sorta but maybe not related just thought I would relay the story in a similar vain. I have a friend (basically a brother) that got a felony as a teen. We are in our late 40s now. He has gotten his felony expunged, thought he was good to go to buy fire arms. He found something I had been wanting for a while, bought it for me in Texas, they sold it to him after doing a back ground check. He had it transferred to Oklahoma it has been in a Bass Pro safe for 2 years. They say he can't purchase fire arms without a pardon. All this to say it sucks and I understand how things can be confusing even when you think you have everything takin care of.

Honestly, it's probably just the ATF screwing up your application review and a mistake on their part.

I've been pretty fortunate to have my longest wait time for a suppressor transfer be 7-8 months and the quickest was roughly 6 months.

Kinda sorta but maybe not related just thought I would relay the story in a similar vain. I have a friend (basically a brother) that got a felony as a teen. We are in our late 40s now. He has gotten his felony expunged, thought he was good to go to buy fire arms. He found something I had been wanting for a while, bought it for me in Texas, they sold it to him after doing a back ground check. He had it transferred to Oklahoma it has been in a Bass Pro safe for 2 years. They say he can't purchase fire arms without a pardon. All this to say it sucks and I understand how things can be confusing even when you think you have everything takin care of.
I know a guy in a similar situation. Had a dumb felony as a teen, got it expunged. 2 years after the expungement he still can't pass a NICS. His lawyer has been dealing with the FBI for almost a year trying to get it straightened out. Technically he isn't a felon anymore or a prohibited person so he buys guns in private sales.

You should be able to go to the local courthouse in the jurisdiction you said you had past history with getting in trouble and request any info on yourself that would determine you to be potentially unfit on the background check.

A friend of mine had to do this recently for a minor court appearance he had when he turned 18, which was over 20 some odd years ago. He was applying for a concealed carry license in Massachusetts and eventually got everything resolved. I'm not sure of what he did with the info to get this resolved but I was told that is where he started.

In Massachusetts they have a legal plea called "continued without a finding" which someone can use in certain instances of minor charges where the charges are dropped after a set period of time if the person does not do anything wrong.

The continued without a finding screws with the federal background check system where it's technically viewed as an admission of guilt by the federal government because this plea does not exist in federal law, even though a person is never found guilty as the case is "continued without a finding". This plea is a big reason for denial in states that have this kinda law, even though the person is not found guilty it can appear as if a case is either open or undecided in the federal background check.

Does your state have this type of plea?
I went through all that 15-20 years ago when I got my first carry permit. I didn’t go to the local jurisdiction because I live in Georgia and these incidents occurred in NJ & CT. But I called the jurisdiction in each incident and explained what was going on with passing a BGC. I also had to contact the state police in each state and find out what they needed to update the NICS, since they are the ones to enter the data. I got the local jurisdiction to submit the changes to the State Police and called the SP back for each one to verify that the NICS was updated. They told me it was. Then I resubmitted the application for my concealed carry permit and was approved. Each carry permit is valid for 5 years and you basically apply for a new one every 5 years as if it’s your first time. I’ve done that 2 or 3 times now (can’t remember it’s been so many years) and each one has been approved. This is all why I don’t know why this was disapproved. All this was taken care of years ago with no problems since then. 🤷‍♂️

I went through all that 15-20 years ago when I got my first carry permit. I didn’t go to the local jurisdiction because I live in Georgia and these incidents occurred in NJ & CT. But I called the jurisdiction in each incident and explained what was going on with passing a BGC. I also had to contact the state police in each state and find out what they needed to update the NICS, since they are the ones to enter the data. I got the local jurisdiction to submit the changes to the State Police and called the SP back for each one to verify that the NICS was updated. They told me it was. Then I resubmitted the application for my concealed carry permit and was approved. Each carry permit is valid for 5 years and you basically apply for a new one every 5 years as if it’s your first time. I’ve done that 2 or 3 times now (can’t remember it’s been so many years) and each one has been approved. This is all why I don’t know why this was disapproved. All this was taken care of years ago with no problems since then. 🤷‍♂️

There's private firms that can run an extensive background check on private individuals. Maybe reach out to one and see what it costs to run one on yourself to see if anything pops up.

The company I work for runs a crazy extensive background check on all new employees and periodically current employees, and they give you a copy of the report also which ends up being roughly 30 pages of everything they dig into.

I've also had tons of background checks done for working construction in secure facilities. I even had to have my hand print scanned and put on file for access to one facility in Boston about 12 years ago.

I know a guy in a similar situation. Had a dumb felony as a teen, got it expunged. 2 years after the expungement he still can't pass a NICS. His lawyer has been dealing with the FBI for almost a year trying to get it straightened out. Technically he isn't a felon anymore or a prohibited person so he buys guns in private sales.
Exactly, I didn't (and still don't) understand but lawyers don't know **** unless you pay them enough. My buddy has spent and it willing to spend what is needed but he has been told that a pardon is the only way. Either governor or presidential.

There's private firms that can run an extensive background check on private individuals. Maybe reach out to one and see what it costs to run one on yourself to see if anything pops up.

The company I work for runs a crazy extensive background check on all new employees and periodically current employees, and they give you a copy of the report also which ends up being roughly 30 pages of everything they dig into.

I've also had tons of background checks done for working construction in secure facilities. I even had to have my hand print scanned and put on file for access to one facility in Boston about 12 years ago.
That’s an option. I’ll start with the FBI. SS gave me a number to call and try to work something out. I’ve also emailed ask the experts on the eForms site - although I doubt they’ll be helpful and an email address with the DOJ that I got from someone. Like I said, it’s going to be a process that won’t be fun, but hopefully fruitful.

That’s an option. I’ll start with the FBI. SS gave me a number to call and try to work something out. I’ve also emailed ask the experts on the eForms site - although I doubt they’ll be helpful and an email address with the DOJ that I got from someone. Like I said, it’s going to be a process that won’t be fun, but hopefully fruitful.
Good luck I'm sure this will all get resolved before you know it. 😁👍

Back