testtest

Suppressor Question

I understand I was just passing on a story and trying to give moral support. lol
I get it. And I appreciate it. I’ve told the story above to my kids many, many times and emphasized how your past can affect you for the rest of your life. This is another one that maybe I’ll add on to tell my grandkids some day. Being stupid as an 18 yr old shouldn’t have this kind of effect on you when you’re 62 and haven’t been in trouble in over 40 years. JMHO.

Exactly, I didn't (and still don't) understand but lawyers don't know **** unless you pay them enough. My buddy has spent and it willing to spend what is needed but he has been told that a pardon is the only way. Either governor or presidential.
Which is bull because according to their own rules, any non violent felon is eligible to get their gun rights back 5 years after completing their sentence.

Surely you are being funny. "Before you know it" with the FBI and DOJ? that is the funniest thing I have seen in awhile.
Actually, when I went through the hassle I wrote about above, all the people in the local jurisdictions and the state police were VERY accommodating and very nice. All were willing to talk to me and help out. The State Police in both states made the changes to the NICS overnight once the documentation from the local courts was provided. I have zero complaints about the local court personnel or the State Police representatives. Now dealing with the FBI and Federal Government may be a completely different story. I’m about to find out over the next couple weeks.

Well, after sending out a couple of emails on this after the disapproval, I got this response from a person at atf.gov:

"There were two incidents in 1979 that are in fact the issue. The FBI requested records on each to determine the level of conviction (felony vs. misdemeanor) and did not get the information they were requested. The state failed to update the criminal history properly. Due to the age of the charges they are responding "no records found". You will have to work within the state of arrest to get your criminal history updated to properly reflect the level of conviction for all charges, including statutes etc."

Looks like this is fixable, but I'm going to have to run my own BGC and get the specifics, then call the local jurisdictions and get them to update the records. I'm sure calls to the NJ State Police will be in order as well. Man, I thought I took care of this 15 or 20 years ago... Any other advice would be appreciated.

Well, after sending out a couple of emails on this after the disapproval, I got this response from a person at atf.gov:

"There were two incidents in 1979 that are in fact the issue. The FBI requested records on each to determine the level of conviction (felony vs. misdemeanor) and did not get the information they were requested. The state failed to update the criminal history properly. Due to the age of the charges they are responding "no records found". You will have to work within the state of arrest to get your criminal history updated to properly reflect the level of conviction for all charges, including statutes etc."

Looks like this is fixable, but I'm going to have to run my own BGC and get the specifics, then call the local jurisdictions and get them to update the records. I'm sure calls to the NJ State Police will be in order as well. Man, I thought I took care of this 15 or 20 years ago... Any other advice would be appreciated.
Sorry to hear, but at least you have an answer.
The fact they responded is a Christmas miracle in itself

Sorry to hear, but at least you have an answer.
The fact they responded is a Christmas miracle in itself
Yeah it is. I'm just going to need the actual report, I think so I have exact dates and charges. They were definitely misdemeanors, I just need to get them to reflect that on the NICS. Like I said, I've been through this before when getting my first carry permit. I'm surprised it's come up again.

I’ve never been convicted of a felony. So that shouldn’t be an issue.

I've also never been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor carrying the possibility of a sentence of more than a year. Which is the federal standard for determining a "Prohibited person". When I was 21 I did get charged with a misdemeanor for having my own loaded handgun in the glove box of my car. Which at the time was illegal in Missouri, but which is now perfectly legal. I assume this is the reason why I get delayed every single time I do a NICS for a gun purchase. I assume it is also the reason why I was denied a UPIN by the feds.

I'm sure I could pay my lawyer to get that stupid ass charge expunged, but the 3 day wait isn't really that big of an inconvenience. I almost guarantee though that it would be a problem if I tried to NFA something. Good thing I am diametrically opposed to registering anything with the government on principal.

Well, good news is I found all my paperwork from my initial CC permit excursion which included my BGC. Went through all this back in 2008. I'll have to organize the timelines and charges and make some calls next week. Both are possession of marijuana charges that were discharged. I don't know why the FBI can't figure out if they were felony or misdemeanor. They were both simple possession charges in 1979. Part of the problem is that these happened so long ago that they didn't have computerized records, so it's hard to nail things down. I'll give it my best shot and reapply.

Well, good news is I found all my paperwork from my initial CC permit excursion which included my BGC. Went through all this back in 2008. I'll have to organize the timelines and charges and make some calls next week. Both are possession of marijuana charges that were discharged. I don't know why the FBI can't figure out if they were felony or misdemeanor. They were both simple possession charges in 1979. Part of the problem is that these happened so long ago that they didn't have computerized records, so it's hard to nail things down. I'll give it my best shot and reapply.
Your new nickname forever more on the forum is “snoop” 🤣😉🤪
1671809419854.gif

It recently happened in Missouri and I suspect within the next 5-10 years it will happen federally that pot will be legalized and all minor possession convictions will be expunged from the record.

I don't partake, but I support legalization, although not the way Missouri just did it with a 5000 page constitutional amendment written by out of state morons from "Big Marijuana". Nevertheless the idiots in this state were going to vote for it no matter what as long as it legalized it. Which is stupid since I don't think there has been anyone charged with simple possession of weed in this state in about a decade now.

Here's an update from me on this crazy process. The above disapproval was for a 3/7 certification. As I said, it was disapproved for "unresolved background". A person from the ATF even emailed me to give me the specific reasons why it was disapproved. Well, this morning I got an approval on a can I certified on 4/19. No problem. How's that for a kick in the ass?

So, my next question to those with more knowledge than me is what should I do next in regard to the first one? Should I just resubmit and hope it goes through this time? It's a PITA to deal with local municipalities for an issue that happened 43 years ago. I'm leaning towards just resubmitting. I'm also unsure if I should provide both control numbers to try to get moved up in the process. I'm leaning against that because I really don't want to draw attention to what happened the first time through.

What do you all think?

Thought I'd stop by again and give my latest update on this. I'm pretty shocked.

So, in the last contact I had in email with the ATF/NFA examiner, I highlighted something in the BGC she sent me and asked if it didn't indicate that the issue was discharged with a No Bill (in other words, they dropped the case). I never heard anything back and I haven't pushed anything because I didn't want to get on anyone's bad side. Well, I just got an email from that examiner saying she had good news for me. She had submitted my response from her to the FBI and they came back to her with a "Proceed"!!! Honestly, I couldn't believe what she said.

She told me to resubmit and when I get the new control number to email or call her and she'll approve it right away. Holy Cow!! Anyone ever had this happen?

Anyway, I had already talked to Silencer Shop and the new eForm is in process. I've digitally signed it and it's in the "Preparing for eForms" stage now, so I'm hoping I can get it certified soon.

I'm still pretty much in shock!! Wow.

Back