testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Sometimes I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. Just thought. Hey dummy, if you want a perfect co-witness use washers equal to the shroud thickness you fool.
Hey wait…weren’t you just telling me to bend the springs a little here and there..anyone can do it.. Hmmm… :)
I actually had to fix the fiber in the front of my DS. Luckily for me, caught it and have burned the ends of more fiber than any man should have to from my archery days.
LOL

Thought I would share this. After 2000 rds my Prodigy has a 2.5lb trigger pull according to a 5 pull average on my Wheeler gauge. Trigger is stock.
A0CBE3B6-D18B-489F-99A6-E6FD41643C12.jpeg

Any chance you could do a short video to demonstrate how you are doing the pull using that gauge?

I have the same gauge, but I'm really not positive I'm doing it right.
Just follow the instructions. Place the sensor on the trigger and your finger over the sensor and pull the trigger. If you hook the sensor over the trigger and pull with the body of the gauge you will get wildly different readings.
A1C4B756-7A26-4605-AF63-E750F04A265A.jpeg

Well, I ran about 150 rounds of magtech and 50 rounds of Win Nato Ball which is scooting out at a claimed 1320fps. Pretty hot stuff and my preferred commercial bowling pin load.

No movement or loosening of the sight, and zero did not shift. I was pretty aggressively yanking on it while cleaning and it seems pretty solid.

I have never used the new orange gel permatex threadlocker before, but with a claimed 3xs stronger hold than blue and no heat required for removal, it seems like good stuff. It did cure about 26 hours before use.

If it does loosen up too quickly I have decided I will use the shroud as a template drill holes and weld in pins.

This gun shoots so flat it is nuts. The dot barely moves with the regular loads and never leaves the window with the hot stuff.

Sol, I just took your word. Took it apart…damn that manual safety was happy to be glued together!
I watched a quick vid..and the trick was from full up (on) rotate it down just a smidge, then she came apart.
Trial and error, bend, check, bend check, watching an Atlas video on how the sear springs should line up for reliability and weight, etc, I went from a solid 5.5# to 3#. Not “Wally”…nice, clean crisp. Learned a TON…. Do I have a little ways to go? Yep, don’t we all. But took it upon myself, took 30 minutes or so of trial and error.. Can’t wait to hit the range now…. Thanks for the push Sol. Range report with target pron coming soon.

I also took the time to clean up the safety… where it hits the plunger, with a small file. it was always kinda gritty.
No more.. just cleaned up the area smooth, nice clean on/off of the thumb safety now. It’s nice to look at parts as they start to wear in a bit, clean ‘em up, notice the difference.

Had to get out to try the new trigger..it’s light. Very similar in weight to my P320 w/ Sig Armorer’s kit in it…and “jumpy”…so, if you‘re not paying attention and get lazy with reset, you’ll knock out a double tap real quick.
It ran flawless. After making sure all safeties were in perfect working order (Grip, manual and disconnector when not fully in battery) I did the 1 bullet, 1 mag, then 2, then 3. Then, first 10 @ 10 yards. I gotta say, this Prodigy is 90% as easy to shoot and as accurate as my Legion X5. With a little more trigger time, it may well be a dead heat.

Attachments

• 82763EB5-DF79-43CE-B68B-0720ED8C56BF.jpeg
    82763EB5-DF79-43CE-B68B-0720ED8C56BF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
Hey all, im new to this forum, well new to join. figured its past time i get on here and start contributing what i can. i picked up a 5" prodigy about 4 months ago. a buddy of mine had it and then bought a staccato tuxedo so he ended up selling me his prodigy. right out of the gate the firearm performed well and i was very happy with it. im never one to leave things alone though, im always wanting to tweak or improve if possible, and this is a fantastic platform to start with. as a note i did end up with some failures to feed with the stock 17 round mags nothing terrible but still. anyway i ended up going with an egw ignition kit, atlas trigger, staccato magwell, atlas mags and a staccato mag, cheely xl firing pin with wolff spring, wolff recoil spring 10# and 11# (both run perfect), recoil buffer, 10-8 performance two piece recoil spring guide and reverse plug. some custom milling to help solve the disconnect rod contact with slide and once i got my plate i decided to try a Viridian rfx35 as i prefer green dots and like the SRO size. its been a learning experience all the way. but i feel like the time and money spent has been well worth it. im usually a built not bought type of personality. here some pics with a first day range photo after i got the green dot mounted and sighted in at 10 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_7069.jpg
    IMG_7069.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_7070.jpg
    IMG_7070.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG-7035.jpg
    IMG-7035.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
2011FANMAN…
Does the Stacatto Magwell line up or any mods need to be done?
I’m on the fence, as I like this as a carry gun/range gun, but if it goes to a comp type pistol, then magwell will be next after a 10 - 8 slide release

2011FANMAN…
Does the Stacatto Magwell line up or any mods need to be done?
I’m on the fence, as I like this as a carry gun/range gun, but if it goes to a comp type pistol, then magwell will be next after a 10 - 8 slide release
It does require a little material to be removed so that the staccato magwell can be put on. I can send you a pic

Just follow the instructions. Place the sensor on the trigger and your finger over the sensor and pull the trigger. If you hook the sensor over the trigger and pull with the body of the gauge you will get wildly different readings. View attachment 35378
I have also noticed that if I pull it very slowly, I get higher readings, and if I pull it quickly, I get much lower readings. Thus why I am curious to actually see how you’re doing it to get a 3.5# average.

I have also noticed that if I pull it very slowly, I get higher readings, and if I pull it quickly, I get much lower readings. Thus why I am curious to actually see how you’re doing it to get a 3.5# average.
I’ve noticed this as well. I take an average of 5 readings when I do mine…and I have the manual gauge not the digital. I try to keep the placement the exact same spot on the trigger, cause on non-1911 shoe style, it can vary.
Average readings is best. Only 100% tried and accurate is with weights, but the gauges can get you within a few ounces if repeatable and done as close to the same each time

I pull it like I shoot it. I also do a 5 pull average. If I’m honest, I can pretty much gauge what a trigger weight is. 2.5, 3, 4, 5+ are pretty easy to distinguish. You just have to pull enough triggers!

Back