testtest

Handgun Compensators- Do they really affect Flip and Recoil?

If I don't have a comp on a barrel, I port it. Both work well and I do handload for each on a performance level. Cartridge and barrel matching as for each use. Comps for 9mm, 357sig (the 2 are different comp and port sized), 40s&w, 10mm (same process as the 2 9 mils) and 45acp. None of those are 1911's. Factory ammo with comps can render function in some semi's. Either you need to use a lower weight spring or hop up the pressure. Using a steel/stainless steel comp compared to a titanium as different affects. In 1 of my 357sig handloads I was way over pressure, but didn't know until I removed the comp. I'm just glad the slide stayed on the frame as fast as it was going. I did a notation on the box for safety measures. Firearms used were all Glock's (17, 31, 22, 20, 40, 21 and 41). I do have a P226 in 357sig, but I will not try those OP loads in it.

I have a Springer comp on my XDM 10mm 4.5" OSP w/Threaded barrel and co-witness iron sites (not-elite), and YES it makes a HUGE difference. It's a little bit louder, but the felt recoil is much less, I can push hot 10mm 180gr 1600fps and the recoil is no more than a typical 45acp or even a stout 9mm+p. With a 10mm round that is basically equal to a 357mag in fps & ftlbs that's a alot of reduction. I can make double tap and fairly rapid follow up shots with this hot 10mm round. With the comp and red dot I can make them quick and accurate as well. I do have more than just a comp helping me, I also have a TLR-1 light on the rails which helps keep muzzle flip down with the added weight. Springer has good options for many SA and other guns, check out their website... https://shop.springerprecision.com/ - I highly recommend Springer and this type of platform. I hope to use this as my hog gun 25-50yds out. Biggest challenge is finding a holster to carry this guy (not CC) but maybe a chest rig. Working on a custom solution, but not there yet. Any suggestions?

SAXDM10MM.jpg

I have a Springer comp on my XDM 10mm 4.5" OSP w/Threaded barrel and co-witness iron sites (not-elite), and YES it makes a HUGE difference. It's a little bit louder, but the felt recoil is much less, I can push hot 10mm 180gr 1600fps and the recoil is no more than a typical 45acp or even a stout 9mm+p. With a 10mm round that is basically equal to a 357mag in fps & ftlbs that's a alot of reduction. I can make double tap and fairly rapid follow up shots with this hot 10mm round. With the comp and red dot I can make them quick and accurate as well. I do have more than just a comp helping me, I also have a TLR-1 light on the rails which helps keep muzzle flip down with the added weight. Springer has good options for many SA and other guns, check out their website... https://shop.springerprecision.com/ - I highly recommend Springer and this type of platform. I hope to use this as my hog gun 25-50yds out. Biggest challenge is finding a holster to carry this guy (not CC) but maybe a chest rig. Working on a custom solution, but not there yet. Any suggestions?

View attachment 38063
So, 1,023fpe from a 4.5" barrel.................................................are you running 50k on pressure. I know I've had over pressure with some 357sig loads that were very hot, but doable with a brake/compensator on it. I put a warning label on the box of my reloads stating "use comp only" for safety reasons. What was the charge and powder used for this velocity?

So, 1,023fpe from a 4.5" barrel.................................................are you running 50k on pressure. I know I've had over pressure with some 357sig loads that were very hot, but doable with a brake/compensator on it. I put a warning label on the box of my reloads stating "use comp only" for safety reasons. What was the charge and powder used for this velocity?
I am not loading my own, these are the stats from the side of the Underwood ammo box I use often. I have not done any tests to confirm this velocity. I also stand corrected, its 135gr at 1600fps per the box (not 180gr). If my math is right these should have about 750ftlbs of energy. Assuming we're actually geting to the 1600fps level. In any case, still greatly reduced recoil with the setup mentioned/shown earlier.

UW 10mm 135gr.png

There's a big difference between using a comp on a competition gun or some higher-rated pressure cartridge (like the 10mm) than a small concealed-carry self-defense gun like the Hellcat.

Sort of defeats the purpose if you start adding more size & bulk to a small pistol vs. a IPSC or hunting gun.

If you practice a lot with a strong shooting stance & grip muzzle flip is lessened in a self-defense gun.

This article points out some negatives.

I am not loading my own, these are the stats from the side of the Underwood ammo box I use often. I have not done any tests to confirm this velocity. I also stand corrected, its 135gr at 1600fps per the box (not 180gr). If my math is right these should have about 750ftlbs of energy. Assuming we're actually geting to the 1600fps level. In any case, still greatly reduced recoil with the setup mentioned/shown earlier.

View attachment 38064
That makes more sense. I've had myself several typos, so no worries. I need to chrono those very hot 357sig loads, but I'm guessing it's 5k or more over pressure. I have 2 in that cartridge (g31 and p226). The g31 is the gun I shot with those op loads and no way am I going to try it in the 226!

There's a big difference between using a comp on a competition gun or some higher-rated pressure cartridge (like the 10mm) than a small concealed-carry self-defense gun like the Hellcat.

Sort of defeats the purpose if you start adding more size & bulk to a small pistol vs. a IPSC or hunting gun.

If you practice a lot with a strong shooting stance & grip muzzle flip is lessened in a self-defense gun.

Agree - would not do this on a carry gun of smaller stature. Clearly this is not one of my carry guns ;)

When you load/buy ammo specified for compact, sub or micro's then there isn't going to be much recoil to begin with depending on bullet weight they're almost subsonic. Heavy 40's and all non +p 45acp is already sub ammo, especially in compact and shorter.

View attachment 38063
So, when you clean it you have to remove the Comp. Do you think it wears out the gripping of the barrel or is damaging and do you use lock tight? Not sure how this one attaches, some have a screw then a sleeve like balancing pressure and some are direct screw into barrel for grip... Thank you!!

EDIT:
I checked Springer and they have a great video explaining my questions. Locktight, clean with Comp attached and no screw locking the Comp.

Last edited:
If you have one or use one on a non-high-end competition handgun I am curious. Thanks!

And which one do you have?
IMHO, they don't make much of a noticeable difference on low velocity handgun rounds. I like them just because they look cool, tactical, and intimidating. I just like to add accessories to some range toys just because I can. The same goes for porting. I have owned a ported and unported Shield 45 and Kahr K9 and K40. I don't notice any difference. I wonder how much of it is a placebo effect for others who say there's a noticeable difference.

I find muzzle devices most usual with rifle and rifle caliber pistols especially when it comes to hiding muzzle flash.

Do you need to change your spring to accommodate the Comp? And or higher pressure ammo for the 9mm, and what spring and ammo do you recommend? thanks!

When you load/buy ammo specified for compact, sub or micro's then there isn't going to be much recoil to begin with depending on bullet weight they're almost subsonic. Heavy 40's and all non +p 45acp is already sub ammo, especially in compact and shorter.
That's sort of my point.

Back in the day comps were a fad after the IPSC folks started using them & that faded away, but now its back.

Back