testtest

Bridget’s Stalker Meets Her SAINT

Good for you. I have an 11 year old daughter that is resisting my attempts to train her on the use of firearms. Safety she gets, but I can’t get her interested to learn. Any suggestions would be welcome from you, ma’am!
Thanks for the great right up!
Hmm.. is there any way you can make guns and protecting herself “cool” to her? Shoot me an email let’s think of some ideas fabelonthefly@gmail.com

Good for you. I have an 11 year old daughter that is resisting my attempts to train her on the use of firearms. Safety she gets, but I can’t get her interested to learn. Any suggestions would be welcome from you, ma’am!
Smaller caliber, have her “pick out” a firearm that appeals to her ( pink, colored, etc ) and maybe have a close friend you and she trusts and respects take her to shoot thats not dad.... ie.. close friends you have like an uncle, police officer, longtime buddy, ex military, etc...

An officer friend of mine was able to break down the barriers and not take the “dad” approach to everything and get her to shoot and enjoy

Funny enough, I have that same situation with my two daughters - who are now 27 and 22.

My 27 year old only likes shooting a .22LR, and shoots quite well with 22 rifles, pistols and revolvers. At one point, she wanted to buy a Ruger SR22 and both I and her boyfriend (now her husband) talked her out of it, as we felt it was not something she should use for protection. Now I wish we had not discouraged her, as she has nothing, and has less interest now than she did 5 years ago in guns. She could have carried that little 22 in her purse or car for a few years, then we might have moved her up to something more reasonable.

My 22 year old on the other hand, who learned to shoot with the same Ruger Mark II as her sister, has her CCW and carries a Ruger LC380, which was about the best balance we could find for her year before last, with recoil she could manage while still maintaining accuracy. She could not manage anything smaller in 380ACP, and could not manage the smaller 9mm pistols. She likes shooting my XDM 5.25 in 9mm and is more accurate than I am with it! She hates her fiancé's .40 pistols.

My advice is you are trying to teach your 11 year old is to make it "cool" as suggested by Bridget, and also to train her with light recoiling 22LR pistols, revolvers or rifles, so that she can gain proficiency with a more comfortable weapon. Only move her to something bigger when she asks. That's the mistake my son-in-law and I both made with my older daughter - pushing her to shoot .38/.380acp/9mm/.40 when she was not comfortable with them.

I am thinking of picking up a Ruger Wrangler 22LR revolver to supplement my Ruger Mark II specifically to have something "fun" to shoot for my wife or the girls.

Maybe if you got a nice little 22LR pistol or revolver and gave it to the daughter as "hers" (to be locked up when not in use of course), that would pique her interest - if she could train on her own gun.

Easiest way I've found to foster an interest in anything is...don't push it. Human nature - when we get pushed, we push back.

INVITE your daughter to join you. Let her see how much fun you have. Let her see what goes into your prep, and your reasoning, and your method. She may start asking for clarification; she may ask to try.

She may not.

If she doesn't...don't get angry with her. Not everyone is wired the same; not everyone does the same things, for the same reasons. At the very least, once she sees why you do this, and understands your thoughts on safety, she'll start thinking about safety in her own way. We can have the same end-goal (safety)...but we each have our own methods. Don't force yours on her, or she could get soured on the goal altogether.

Funny enough, I have that same situation with my two daughters - who are now 27 and 22.

My 27 year old only likes shooting a .22LR, and shoots quite well with 22 rifles, pistols and revolvers. At one point, she wanted to buy a Ruger SR22 and both I and her boyfriend (now her husband) talked her out of it, as we felt it was not something she should use for protection. Now I wish we had not discouraged her, as she has nothing, and has less interest now than she did 5 years ago in guns. She could have carried that little 22 in her purse or car for a few years, then we might have moved her up to something more reasonable.

My 22 year old on the other hand, who learned to shoot with the same Ruger Mark II as her sister, has her CCW and carries a Ruger LC380, which was about the best balance we could find for her year before last, with recoil she could manage while still maintaining accuracy. She could not manage anything smaller in 380ACP, and could not manage the smaller 9mm pistols. She likes shooting my XDM 5.25 in 9mm and is more accurate than I am with it! She hates her fiancé's .40 pistols.

My advice is you are trying to teach your 11 year old is to make it "cool" as suggested by Bridget, and also to train her with light recoiling 22LR pistols, revolvers or rifles, so that she can gain proficiency with a more comfortable weapon. Only move her to something bigger when she asks. That's the mistake my son-in-law and I both made with my older daughter - pushing her to shoot .38/.380acp/9mm/.40 when she was not comfortable with them.

I am thinking of picking up a Ruger Wrangler 22LR revolver to supplement my Ruger Mark II specifically to have something "fun" to shoot for my wife or the girls.

Maybe if you got a nice little 22LR pistol or revolver and gave it to the daughter as "hers" (to be locked up when not in use of course), that would pique her interest - if she could train on her own gun.
Totally agree! I thought about it a little more last night.. Even starting with a BB gun or airgun to build up her confidence with a less "real" feeling gun may help her. Feeling really confident in the controls behind an airgun could help her take that same safety, confidence, and control to an actual gun. And after that, maybe she could watch some self defense stories on youtube. I like watching "active self protection" on youtube.. theres a lot of real world examples of videos and women defending themselves against bad guys with a fire arm.. might be a great way to show her how bad ass these women are and how a gun saved their lives!

Nice camping trailer , nice lady , great selection of firearms brand , and a great truck. When I saw the first picture my first thought was , where is the cat. Then the picture inside the camper , there lay the cat . :)

It is great to see a lady who enjoys the great outdoors . I hope we get to hear more stories from you and see more great pictures of the area.
haha!! too funny.. that cat is always the star of the show. thanks so much for reading!

Well done Bridget! I tell my friends and neighbors here in Virginia anyone who lives in a conceal carry state and doesn't carry is not only a fool they also remove themselves from the group that can complain about the local chapter of MS13 smashing up their house or worse, killing everything in that house. I may forget my socks, I'm 82, but I will NEVER forget my Springfield .45.
agreed... never leave home with out a Springfield!! I recently got the ronin in a .45 ... I am LOVING it!

Start with a 22lr or bb gun as said before and try reactive targets of some sort to get a reaction on a good hit. If u shoot outside something that breaks apart after being hit lollipops or balloons. You need to make it fun for her.

Back