testtest

Easiest home defense gun on the ears

Now that ain't no lie, My 5.56 SBR wiill kill the eardrums forever.
I personally know the outcome of firing a 5.56 short barrel firearm in an enclosed setting. I was legally deaf for over a month after it happened. I was immediately put on prednisone steroids and was getting hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy treatments daily for weeks and I was lucky to get get my hearing back to a normal range after all the treatments. Immediate treatment for acoustic trauma hearing loss is necessary to have any chance at recovery. Every day without treatment greatly decreases the chance of healing.

I personally know the outcome of firing a 5.56 short barrel firearm in an enclosed setting. I was legally deaf for over a month after it happened. I was immediately put on prednisone steroids and was getting hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy treatments daily for weeks and I was lucky to get get my hearing back to a normal range after all the treatments. Immediate treatment for acoustic trauma hearing loss is necessary to have any chance at recovery. Every day without treatment greatly decreases the chance of healing.
Yeah, that would be bad. mine has an 8 1/2 inch barrel and it hurts some hearing muffs on. you can definitely feel the thump from it

Last edited:
Have a couple foward blast devices, can't tell they do much good though.

SANY5255.JPG
SANY5259.JPG

Those smaller bore higher velocities will get you. A 12.5" 308win w/m80 is bad also.
Yeah, the absolute worst in our tests was a tossup between a 7.5” 5.56 AR and the 8-9” (iirc) AKSU74 in 5.45x39.

We also had a PTR HK51 copy…we just decided that was a bad idea after blowing plaster off the walls with the 7.5” AR. Even with double earpro, the concussion of firing in a hallway was debilitating. A buddy with experience in such matters compared it to a flashbang in how it felt.

What would you guys consider an ideal home defense gun that wouldn't bust an eardrum when fired inside a house.
The average firearm is around 160 decibels a one time exposure will cause permanent (however slight) hearing loss

I have major hearing loss. It affects my entire life. I'm sitting here typing this and my ears are ringing so loud it hurts. I was actually sitting at work one day when a fault alarm sounded on the fire alarm control panel. After a minute my coworker looked at me and asked "Do you not hear that alarm?" I told him I thought is was my tinnitus. (Tru story bro).

Hearing loss is cumulative and permanent. You will suffer permanent hearing loss to a greater or lesser degree from one exposure. Anything you can reasonably do to mitigate that would be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Back