testtest

CCW reciprocity and travel: Do you research it?

Yes, yes, and definitely, yes.

As "law abiding citizens," we should be well aware of the laws governing where we can and cannot legally carry our concealed firearm(s) and other defensive tools.

I will research my destination - as well as any states where I may pass through, if traveling by-land - laws prior to the trip. I do this every time I venture past my state borders, as laws are always in-flux.

Ignorantia juris non excusat.

I use the USCCA reciprocity map (available to everyone, not just members), that has an interactive map, along with each states current laws. They keep it pretty well up to date, as a friend from NJ discovered he couldn't carry in Pa. with his Utah carry permit. This link was updated a few days after our Pa. AG made the ruling that permit holders had to be a resident of that State, or have a State permit that had reciprocity with the State of Pa.
It's also a good idea to check other weapon laws for each State, such as knives, tasers, brass knuckles & blackjacks, etc.

I definitely research before any trip to ensure I am in compliance with start laws. I even take my handgun safe along for states that do not recognize my CCW permit. One thing that slipped my mind was magazine capacity. I didn't know there was such a thing for handguns.

I don't know about you all, but I definitely dig into this anytime I'm doing a long trip so I know where I can and can't carry. In fact, I try to make my travel work with where I can CCW carry through reciprocity laws. How about you all?
Absolutely. I get into that state's constitution, and visit the states' website so that I know how they prefer me to carry while there.

I definitely research before any trip to ensure I am in compliance with start laws. I even take my handgun safe along for states that do not recognize my CCW permit. One thing that slipped my mind was magazine capacity. I didn't know there was such a thing for handguns.
I moved from Massachusetts a a few months ago up to NH. Mass has some pretty Draconian laws on the books like magazine limits to 10 rounds and if you are caught with a mag over 10 rounds that wasn't pre 96 its an instant felony. Also with that being said certain guns like AR's cannot be brought into the state either if they weren't manufactured prior to 96. Massachusetts does not have reciprocity with any other state and to carry there you need an out of state license and that is a lengthy process which take almost a year to get if you pass all the checks and the interview with the state police. Thankfully I moved to NH aka America!

I check the reciprocity status for my Alabama CCW permit before any road trip. I've yet to travel by car to or through any state that didn't accept my permit. So on family trips, or business trips where I drive versus fly, I'm good so far.

I've considered going through all the hoops to check a gun in a locked case when traveling by plane, but have never gone through the effort to date. Plus, some of the places I go on business travel I may be going to companies that don't permit weapons on the premises, and I wouldn't have anywhere to leave it, since half the time these days I am using Uber or Lyft.

Since I live in Ohio, I use the attorney general’s web site for there reciprocity map whenever I travel.

Fortunately for me everything around me allows for me to carry except for South carolina. I can basically drive thousand miles an any direction and be safe except for SC. But yes if you don’t know the states laws double check.

Yup. Got a couple of apps that I keep updated and check both before I travel. Actually to the point where I don’t vacation anywhere I cannot carry. Dont want to spend my money in the communist states anyway :sneaky:

I need to research the PA thing...I live in MD, with a MD wear and carry permit. I'm half a mile from PA, and also have a non-resident PA permit. I'll have to see if anything has changed there...

It's insane to think how what supposed to be a basic birth right is only recognized in some states but not all and if you cross the invisible line into another state you can become a felon. On the other hand drivers licenses are not considered a right but every state recognizes them including foreign licenses. 🤬

Back