testtest

Roll pin punch stuck in my M1A

Hello there! I was installing a Sadlak scope mount onto my M1A when the roll pin punch broke off inside the stripper clip roll pin hole. The roll pin is removed but now the broken punch is still in there. I have been unsuccessful in removing the piece from where it is stuck using another punch, they just bend. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20200428_052042.jpg
    20200428_052042.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 441
  • 20200428_052029_HDR.jpg
    20200428_052029_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 459
Should be, just put a drop or two around the punch, it should suck the lube down as it warms. Just dont be spraying it while you have a heat gun going, thats just asking for trouble.

How far out is the roll pin on the stripper clip guide? What size punch were you using? 5/64 should do it. If that is the size you were using put some oil on the part that is broke off, get a bigger size punch and tap on top of the punch that is already started in there. What type of punches are you using that they are all bending?

How far out is the roll pin on the stripper clip guide? What size punch were you using? 5/64 should do it. If that is the size you were using put some oil on the part that is broke off, get a bigger size punch and tap on top of the punch that is already started in there. What type of punches are you using that they are all bending?
Roll pin is removed, the broken off piece of the punch is flush on the side that I removed the stripper clip guide. I bought a 3/32 punch at home depot - bent. Bought one on amazon -bent. Cant remember the brands at the moment.

Jon were you ever able to get it out? I am having the same issue. I used a 3/32" pin punch and this thing is stuck on like a mf. I tried heating it and added oil but won't budge. Funny thing is that is the tool they recommended and made it look like cake getting the pin out.

This was posted on this forum by BangBang in May oa 2020. Hope it helps.
BangBang

Professional​

Which way are you trying to knock it out? It’s supposed to be knocked inside out. Apply some PB Blaster and let it sit for a little bit. It is important to note that the spring steel pin that holds the stripper clip guide is slanted from the rear toward the front. Remove the action from the stock and tap the pin with a 3/32 drift punch until the pin can be removed from the bottom of the receiver. Rest the action on its left side and tap the clip guide from right to left out of the receiver. If you get the spring steel pin out, it should be no problem tapping out the guide. Once you have the roll pin out make sure you are tapping it in the correct direction. The clip guide drives in from the left and should be driven out from the right. Support the receiver on a block of wood and drive towards the left side. If the rifle is well supported and you don't hit anything but your driver with the hammer you shouldn't be damaging anything.

I was worried about this happening but it didn't thank goodness. I thought it wouldn't ever even budge at the first several taps, got even more concerned when the taps had to become whacks before any movement.

Sounds like you need a better set of punches, I discovered the cheap set I have (probably from china) was bending on a stuck pin using a little more than normal force, but still short of what should bend a punch.

I had the exact same problem with a stuck pin on the stripper clip guide. I went through four 3/32 pin punches and broke numerous bits with one bit stuck through the back. So how is that for a bad situation! I used heat and PB Blaster with no luck thinking I would have to pay 500 bucks and wait 6 months for a gunsmith to remove the thing....until I found the solution.

THE SOLUTION! A 3/32 ROLL PIN PUNCH AND A PALM NAILER. The 25 dollar harbor freight palm nailer set to 90psi shot out the pin and broken drill bit after a few well placed whacks with the palm nailer. I had been trying to remove the pin for days with no luck.

Back