testtest

Some 1911 Help

What do you plan on doing with this 1911? Will you carry it? A range gun? HD gun? I see you have a RO, do you carry that one on your person now? If it is a range gun nothing wrong with adjustable sights. If it will be a HD gun then the one with the rail may be a better choice for a WML. Either one of the 3 will serve you well nonetheless.
Once I’m comfortable with the draw I will rotate it into my EDC

OK, you have 3 that you are looking at. The Range Officer Elite Target, the Range Officer Elite Operator, and the Ronin. So here is my opinion as to the three in question. The RO Elite Target has the adjustable sights. I personally like them. Reasoning is I shoot competition and need my sights to be as accurate as possible. The RO Elite Operator and the Ronin have raised rear fixed sights. These sights are tactical and are configured to that you can charge the weapon on different surfaces with one hand. All 3 have fiber optic front sights. All 3 have barrel bushings. And both RO's have ambidextrous saftey selectors. The Ronin does not. The Ronin is configured more as a base model 1911. Though the RO Operator has a small rail on it to add a light, it could add weight to aid in follow up shots.
I hope you find the advice given on here to be informative and can see the difference in some of their features. However...The best thing to do is go to a range and shoot them before you make a decision.

I'm glad that the grip angle doesn't work for my hands, because it would get expensive. Glock style angle only works for me. I did buy a 1911 (45acp) style and put 1k down the pipe without any good success. One of the local gun shops that I buy guns at and had already sold me 2 previous Glocks talked me into a g21. This was a great success on my first go with a 45acp at 15 yards I put 11 out of 13 in a wooded stake the size of 1.5"w x 10"h.

Personally for me I’d go with the RO Elite Target for no other reason other then the adjustable rear sights. For me accuracy is key and I want to be able to fine tune the pistol to work for me. Now granted I know you can always find other aftermarket adjustable sights but why do that if you can already get them installed already. Just my two cents.

So, I’m a little confused—usually, SA's “Operator” 1911’s are railed...but the Ronin Operator isn’t?

Or is there a railed version that isn’t pictured?

Either way...I'd go with the Ronin or ROE Operator. I was looking at a ROEO in 10mm the other day, not a bad piece for the money at all.

And adjustable sights on a carry pistol don’t worry me; these aren’t delicate, fine-adjust bullseye sights, here. These are considerably more robustly built.

I’m way late to this discussion (and new to the Forum anyway), but here’s my opinion:
I would pick the Ronin myself. In fact, I’m considering one...
Couple reasons:
I’m right handed - and do not need the ambi safety (in fact, for carrying I’d rather the opposite lever be gone). The pics u posted show ambi on the other two.
No rail is fine by me. Again, for DEFENSIVE carry, I’d prefer it not be in the way. Side note: I think of a light or laser as an ‘aggressive’ feature; more for special purposes. And also can’t help thinking that what lights up your target, also telegraphs your own posture. Guess I just have nagging doubts about carrying somethin’ like that. I dunno...
Also - and this is just a personal angle - the Ronin can be had for rather less $$ , from what I can tell. (Yeah, I’m on a bit of a budget:).

I don’t hear much about it - Massad Ayoob writes on the matter - but if I found myself in an ‘aftermath management’ situation after a shootout, the somewhat less “navy SEAL wannabe” looking Ronin appeals to me , despite the Ronin name etched on the side (smile:). I know it’s FAR less important than being the last man standing- but could be a consideration...

I’m way late to this discussion (and new to the Forum anyway), but here’s my opinion:
I would pick the Ronin myself. In fact, I’m considering one...
Couple reasons:
I’m right handed - and do not need the ambi safety (in fact, for carrying I’d rather the opposite lever be gone). The pics u posted show ambi on the other two.
No rail is fine by me. Again, for DEFENSIVE carry, I’d prefer it not be in the way. Side note: I think of a light or laser as an ‘aggressive’ feature; more for special purposes. And also can’t help thinking that what lights up your target, also telegraphs your own posture. Guess I just have nagging doubts about carrying somethin’ like that. I dunno...
Also - and this is just a personal angle - the Ronin can be had for rather less $$ , from what I can tell. (Yeah, I’m on a bit of a budget:).

I don’t hear much about it - Massad Ayoob writes on the matter - but if I found myself in an ‘aftermath management’ situation after a shootout, the somewhat less “navy SEAL wannabe” looking Ronin appeals to me , despite the Ronin name etched on the side (smile:). I know it’s FAR less important than being the last man standing- but could be a consideration...
Welcome, good points. I like and chose the Ronin myself. I’m not a fan of the ambi safety on a carry 1911 either. A railed 1911, not so much for the tactical aspect of it but more so for the defensive side of it. A light in itself could be all that is needed, with the WML available and the distances most “gunfights” happen the blinding of the light, of you have been on the receiving end you will know what I’m talking about, will be enough to stop a gunfight from ensuing or for you to leave. If not, the light will most definitely give you the advantage as your assailant will be doing everything possible to avoid the light, be it evacuate or hold his/her hands up, ect. Lights aren’t so bad.

GO NAVY

Welcome, good points. I like and chose the Ronin myself. I’m not a fan of the ambi safety on a carry 1911 either. A railed 1911, not so much for the tactical aspect of it but more so for the defensive side of it. A light in itself could be all that is needed, with the WML available and the distances most “gunfights” happen the blinding of the light, of you have been on the receiving end you will know what I’m talking about, will be enough to stop a gunfight from ensuing or for you to leave. If not, the light will most definitely give you the advantage as your assailant will be doing everything possible to avoid the light, be it evacuate or hold his/her hands up, ect. Lights aren’t so bad.

GO NAVY
Hmm... now that u mention it, suddenly ‘spotlighting’ an aggressor could be a definite psychological plus ! Hadn’t quite occurred to me. Will have to think further on that. I may have subconsciously leaned on our old Army saying “When the enemy’s in range, so are you!”.

If u have the Ronin, what do u think of those fiber optic front sights? I hear they’re not much good in low/no light conditions....

Hmm... now that u mention it, suddenly ‘spotlighting’ an aggressor could be a definite psychological plus ! Hadn’t quite occurred to me. Will have to think further on that. I may have subconsciously leaned on our old Army saying “When the enemy’s in range, so are you!”.

If u have the Ronin, what do u think of those fiber optic front sights? I hear they’re not much good in low/no light conditions....
I don’t have the Ronin, yet. I like it. I do have several pistols that have fiber optic sights and they are not good in low light. Excellent in light/sunlight, as I’m sure your aware. I wouldn’t let that deter me from the pistol though as I would swap out sights.

They are not for low light sight acquisition. The Trijicon night sights on some other models are.
And of course a high output l.e.d. tac light also helps.

Well...I wouldn’t go that far. There’s a lot of top-notch trainers running fiber optics on their personal carry pistols...

They are remarkably good at picking up dim light...and if you have a flashlight/weaponlight, FO tubes will definitely pop a bit in the dark.

Remember—if there’s no light to see your sights...you probably can’t see your target well enough to identify it, either.

That being said...I do prefer tritium, myself.

Well...I wouldn’t go that far. There’s a lot of top-notch trainers running fiber optics on their personal carry pistols...

They are remarkably good at picking up dim light...and if you have a flashlight/weaponlight, FO tubes will definitely pop a bit in the dark.

Remember—if there’s no light to see your sights...you probably can’t see your target well enough to identify it, either.

That being said...I do prefer tritium, myself.
Wonder if picking up ambient (dim) light is better depending upon the optic color (ie, green vs red) ?

Ok so since I went with the
1911 Range Officer 45 I’ll call it the
(Plain Jane) model Since it came with black sights, and when I say black I mean no white dots on the rear sight and nothing but a black serrated ramp on the front.
Now since the rear is adjustable I would like to stay with an adjustable rear but have white dots and would love 🙏 to have a fiber optic front so all you experts out there please chime in on my options.
A couple other things is I would like to stay with Springfield Armory sights and is this something I can do without filling to fit????

Back