testtest

Some 1911 Help

Well guys n gals... I bit the bullet, no pun intended.
It ain’t the greatest 1911...and ain’t the greatest Springer either... but it’s MINE !!!!!!

Happy Memorial Day Tidal Wave,

Congratulations, She's beautiful. I'm sure she'll bring you a lifetime of shooting and outdoor memories. It's more than a 1911-A1: it's an heirloom. Your grand kids will enjoy shooting their grand dad's gun while they're thinking of you.

I own four Springfield Armory 1911-A1's. I have no clue of which Springfield Armory is greatest, or best, or any accolade, etc. I really like the GI Model because I enjoy US military history. I could pick up a copy tomorrow and opine it's the greatest Springfield Armory 1911-A1. It's all opinion, and if you love sports like I love sports, we're thoroughly imbued with scientific opinion. Double that if you're a fisherman.

What's greatest is opinion. And my opinion is your Springfield Armory 1911-A1 is a great handgun.

You probably not yet have grand kids who will enjoy shooting your great Springfield Armory 1911-A1

TidalWave, I sincerely hope you enjoy an eternity of recreation with your 1911-A1. That gun will go through tens of thousands of rounds and still be warming up. This is just a guess: with minimal maintenance (cleaning, spring changes, firing pin changes, maybe a couple barrel changes, etc), as long as standard pressure rounds are fired, a run-of-the-factory-mill 1911-A1 will be good for 100k rounds. That's merely a guess based upon my experience with Springfield Armory 1911-A1's.

A word of caution I've learned the expensive way: Springfield Armory 1911-A1's tend to propagate in contradiction of all known science. They'll mystically appear in your gun safe.

Best of luck to you, Tidal Wave

Good shooting, I didn’t notice if you shot that off a bench or not? Not knocking RIA but SA is head and shoulders over RIA, in my opinion. I have shot friends RIA but have owned SA and no comparison. As Hans said a good option is grip tape on the front strap. There is a “mod” you can do to make it easier to put your slide stop in.
“This is a modification I do on just about all slide stops as it allows easy installation and doesn't affect function. It is easily done with a needle file. To install, the slide stop is positioned directly on top of the plunger and you can feel it saddle over it and push it straight in. Bingo!”
A0FC66A3-357F-4D88-AB32-B70D67C6CFC4.jpeg

this was from the 1911 forum. If the Ronin is shooting that good with Sig and even WWB FMJ shoot some HP or some Atlanta Arms or some type of match ammo out of it, off a bench and see what it will do. One more thing, I think if you shoot the FO sights you will come to like them, not what was issued on the M9 but as you can see from your shooting they are pretty precise. If for some reason you don’t, easy fix.

Good shooting, I didn’t notice if you shot that off a bench or not? Not knocking RIA but SA is head and shoulders over RIA, in my opinion. I have shot friends RIA but have owned SA and no comparison. As Hans said a good option is grip tape on the front strap. There is a “mod” you can do to make it easier to put your slide stop in.
“This is a modification I do on just about all slide stops as it allows easy installation and doesn't affect function. It is easily done with a needle file. To install, the slide stop is positioned directly on top of the plunger and you can feel it saddle over it and push it straight in. Bingo!” View attachment 6567
this was from the 1911 forum. If the Ronin is shooting that good with Sig and even WWB FMJ shoot some HP or some Atlanta Arms or some type of match ammo out of it, off a bench and see what it will do. One more thing, I think if you shoot the FO sights you will come to like them, not what was issued on the M9 but as you can see from your shooting they are pretty precise. If for some reason you don’t, easy fix.
That is outstanding information - Thank You !
Will def take a look at that slide stop mod.
Agree totally w/ u about the RIA comparison. RIA ain’t bad - glad I got ‘em - but I could tell the diff with just the ~60 rds i shot - at least the potential difference that I’ll have before long. (I’m getting old and need more time these days, Lol !)
By the way I was shooting two handed and standing. No rest available for use today. Still pleased; and now that a bit of the ‘newness’ is over n done with, I can settle down and study things:)
Take care, be Safe and Thanks again !

Happy Memorial Day Tidal Wave,

Congratulations, She's beautiful. I'm sure she'll bring you a lifetime of shooting and outdoor memories. It's more than a 1911-A1: it's an heirloom. Your grand kids will enjoy shooting their grand dad's gun while they're thinking of you.

I own four Springfield Armory 1911-A1's. I have no clue of which Springfield Armory is greatest, or best, or any accolade, etc. I really like the GI Model because I enjoy US military history. I could pick up a copy tomorrow and opine it's the greatest Springfield Armory 1911-A1. It's all opinion, and if you love sports like I love sports, we're thoroughly imbued with scientific opinion. Double that if you're a fisherman.

What's greatest is opinion. And my opinion is your Springfield Armory 1911-A1 is a great handgun.

You probably not yet have grand kids who will enjoy shooting your great Springfield Armory 1911-A1

TidalWave, I sincerely hope you enjoy an eternity of recreation with your 1911-A1. That gun will go through tens of thousands of rounds and still be warming up. This is just a guess: with minimal maintenance (cleaning, spring changes, firing pin changes, maybe a couple barrel changes, etc), as long as standard pressure rounds are fired, a run-of-the-factory-mill 1911-A1 will be good for 100k rounds. That's merely a guess based upon my experience with Springfield Armory 1911-A1's.

A word of caution I've learned the expensive way: Springfield Armory 1911-A1's tend to propagate in contradiction of all known science. They'll mystically appear in your gun safe.

Best of luck to you, Tidal Wave
Thanks so much for taking the time to write that SATRP. Really appreciate, and as I thought of it later while messing with the Ronin at the kitchen table, it hit me that it very well could be an heirloom someday... I don’t have any kids (that I know of:) and it’s a bit late in life now, but I do have a couple close friends and a couple close relatives that it could go to. Hadn’t really thought of that. Seems like another poster mentioned heirloom value too (or maybe that was on 1911Addicts forum) . Thanks again!

Always amazes me how congenial the firearms crowd is compared to the circles a few of my liberal friends run in. Love those friends dearly, but they seem to have so many more hangups/worries. Life’s too short for all that nonsense.
Ok I’m ramblin’ again...everybody Be Safe..

Thanks so much for taking the time to write that SATRP. Really appreciate, and as I thought of it later while messing with the Ronin at the kitchen table, it hit me that it very well could be an heirloom someday... I don’t have any kids (that I know of:) and it’s a bit late in life now, but I do have a couple close friends and a couple close relatives that it could go to. Hadn’t really thought of that. Seems like another poster mentioned heirloom value too (or maybe that was on 1911Addicts forum) . Thanks again!

Always amazes me how congenial the firearms crowd is compared to the circles a few of my liberal friends run in. Love those friends dearly, but they seem to have so many more hangups/worries. Life’s too short for all that nonsense.
Ok I’m ramblin’ again...everybody Be Safe..
Adopt a teenager it will forever change your life!

For years I carried a Springfield loaded model champion .45. It was also one of the pistols I shot IDPA with. For a carry self defense weapon you don’t need the 5” barrel the shorter barrel is easier to conceal, less weight and will shoot right up there with the five inch barrels. The champion model is nice because it gives you a full grip size with the shorter slide. You can’t go wrong with a Springfield, I’ve had 10 loaded Springfields over the years along with some custom colts. I rounded the grip frames of my Springfield’s like the new Sigs fastback carry models. I have small hands so the fit was great. Whatever one you decide on, as said before, adjustable sights have no place on a combat or defense weapon. Your not looking for bullseye accuracy in a combat weapon. And it’s just another variable that can go wrong.

I like rails.
You dont have to use one, but if you ever want a light or laser, you need a rail.

you can always leave it unused, but if you want a light down the road and change your mind, you’d have to spring for a new gun
Rails are not necessary on a 1911 for laser sight. Crimson Trace offers a grip laser which works fine if you like the looks of their grips.

Since I got my 1911 R.O Champion I've added Hogue grips, a trigger and trigger kit from EGW and it sure made a difference the reset is better and the trigger pull is better

I am of the opinion that you choose what works for you. The old saying applies here, "Different strokes for different folks". In my younger, healthier day, when I didn't mind the weight on my back, I carried and still own the plainest, simplest 1911 I could carry. It served me as my EDC and home protector. A couple of years ago the Springfield Range Officer Elite Champion chambered in .45 ACP caught my eye so I picked it up as an EDC because of it's lighter weight which made it easier for me to carry. I am glad I made the purchase when I did because I don't believe that Springfield still makes it chambered in .45 ACP. Well six back surgical procedures later and my EDC is now the Springfield Hellcat. Go figure... We all have to adapt as age and health issues creep up on us. Well, at least I had to adapt. I still, from time to time, carry my 1911's and practice at the range with all of my carry arms to stay as sharp as I can. As time catches up with each of us our favorites tend to change, and some people NOT !! That's what is great about our United States, we have the RIGHT and FREEDOM to do what we want. Good luck with your choice.

I am of the opinion that you choose what works for you. The old saying applies here, "Different strokes for different folks". In my younger, healthier day, when I didn't mind the weight on my back, I carried and still own the plainest, simplest 1911 I could carry. It served me as my EDC and home protector. A couple of years ago the Springfield Range Officer Elite Champion chambered in .45 ACP caught my eye so I picked it up as an EDC because of it's lighter weight which made it easier for me to carry. I am glad I made the purchase when I did because I don't believe that Springfield still makes it chambered in .45 ACP. Well six back surgical procedures later and my EDC is now the Springfield Hellcat. Go figure... We all have to adapt as age and health issues creep up on us. Well, at least I had to adapt. I still, from time to time, carry my 1911's and practice at the range with all of my carry arms to stay as sharp as I can. As time catches up with each of us our favorites tend to change, and some people NOT !! That's what is great about our United States, we have the RIGHT and FREEDOM to do what we want. Good luck with your choice.
Last summer I picked up a used 1911 Range Officer Champion in. 45 and it looked like it had but fired very much for 600.00 since then I've added Hogue rubber finger grips and a trigger and trigger kit from EGW and that has made a big difference the reset and trigger pull is better

The .45 Auto is an inherently accurate cartridge.

Decades ago, I fired a Colt Gold Cup. It was a darn accurate handgun.

While the Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto is a multipurpose defensive handgun (mean critter and bipedal vermin), I was astonished at its accuracy. If one is looking for an accurate handgun for competition, I'd suggest running a few mags through a TRP.

My TRP has motivated me to do more target shooting. When I get around to it, I'm going to load the most accurate target combination I can find. I'd love to see just how tiny my TRP can group.

BTW, a very reputable So Cal gun shop salesman was an IDPA competitive shooter. He used a Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto as his competition handgun. He told me that the TRP was extremely popular among IDPA competition shooters.

The Ronin would be my choice.
I liked mine so much, I bought another. Only tweeks I’d make are: 1) FO front sight could be a bit bigger, 2) eliminate the rear white dots. They distract me; not sure why(?), perhaps use u-shape rear (if there were not dots and the front FO was bigger), and 3) adjust that dang slide lock/stop lever or the plunger - very tricky to get back in on reassembly without scratching frame. Plunger too long or the stop isn’t angled enough to snap in cleanly.
anywhoo - love the Ronin regardless !

The .45 Auto is an inherently accurate cartridge.

Decades ago, I fired a Colt Gold Cup. It was a darn accurate handgun.

While the Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto is a multipurpose defensive handgun (mean critter and bipedal vermin), I was astonished at its accuracy. If one is looking for an accurate handgun for competition, I'd suggest running a few mags through a TRP.

My TRP has motivated me to do more target shooting. When I get around to it, I'm going to load the most accurate target combination I can find. I'd love to see just how tiny my TRP can group.

BTW, a very reputable So Cal gun shop salesman was an IDPA competitive shooter. He used a Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto as his competition handgun. He told me that the TRP was extremely popular among IDPA competition shooters.

I’ve shot a lot of IDPA, and while I can’t recommend the SA TRP enough as a “combat” pistol. A box stock TRP won’t make weight for IDPA, you will have to make some changes, swap out guide rod for a G.I and go with different mags, for example. Glock, S&W and SA are usually what is the top 3 in SSP and if you go CDP but with limits.

I've got a Springfield Range Officer Champion in. 45 and the upgrades that I've done are some Hogue grips, an EGW trigger and the EGW trigger kit which is a new sear, hammer, springs. Also added one of their recoil springs. Made a big difference

Attachments

• 20200611_185649.jpg
    20200611_185649.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 214
I’ve shot a lot of IDPA, and while I can’t recommend the SA TRP enough as a “combat” pistol. A box stock TRP won’t make weight for IDPA, you will have to make some changes, swap out guide rod for a G.I and go with different mags, for example. Glock, S&W and SA are usually what is the top 3 in SSP and if you go CDP but with limits.
You're assuredly right. I can't remember in what venue he competed. But I do remember that he competed with a Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto.

Back