testtest

HEX Optics: A High-Tech Swarm

Glad I ordered mine fast...
Am glad you got yours quickly. That's very cool! :)
Am in no major hurry. I try to never be. Have had Hellcat for awhile and possibly waiting for an OSP that's more fitting for needs and thoughts than what was available before. Hellcat mostly works fine for my needs and is very nice as is. By it's description the HEX Wasp should completely fill that need nicely. Tritium sights and OSP should compliment each other greatly.

Mounted the Dragonfly on Saint Victor Pistol. It sits fairly low and may need a riser. Any clean looking recommendations?

While I'm glad for you folks who managed to purchase the Hex Wasp for your Hellcat and are pleased with it, try doing it now. Both the Springfield and Hex websites are "Out of Stock" on the Wasp, with no advisory on when it may be available again. I spent quite some time searching the Internet for an adapter plate to put the Vortex Venom sight I already have on the Hellcat, finally finding one. A mounting plate is nothing more than a thin piece of steel or aluminum with some threaded holes in it, right? Can anyone tell me what makes it so special that someone can be justified in charging $54.00 for it?

I received my wasp today. It’s nice but I don’t think optics on pistal are for me. It’s going to take a whole lotta training and I am pretty set in my ways. It was like I was chasing a squirrel around looking for the dot, when my memory is set on my front sight.
It’s very nice just not for an old man like me.

I received my wasp today. It’s nice but I don’t think optics on pistal are for me. It’s going to take a whole lotta training and I am pretty set in my ways. It was like I was chasing a squirrel around looking for the dot, when my memory is set on my front sight.
It’s definitely something you have to get used to. I’ve spent a lot of time when sitting around and every time I take my gun on and off lifting it up to position to see the dot. Most of the time I can pick it up without much maneuvering. The more time, the better I get. I also focus on the target as opposed to focusing on the sights to get them lined up. And because I’m left eye dominant and shoot right handed, I can keep both eyes open. Personally, I’m liking it the more I practice with it...

Just ordered the wasp.....hope the shipping is fedex all the way to my door.....USPS always F up my package delivery's.
I finally got mine, 40 days back ordered, then FedEx screw the pooch it took them 18 days to get it from Illinois to Florida (could have walked it faster).
On a good note, I love this optic, it was almost dead nuts on out of the box. I've only put a few dozen rounds thru my hellcat since put the Wasp on, but it is still on target.

It would be perfect for me, because I can't see my front sight due to aging eyes.

If they were machined to the RMR footprint I would order 4 tomorrow.
When I decided to try the optics I bought a complete slide assembly. had it milled for the RMR had the front sight milled off and no rears installed.
I didnt want to have to unlearn 50 years of iron sight shooting while trying to learn the dot & presentation.
Best move I could have made.
Any one that has a setup already and having troubles because of front sight focus/distraction I would recommend pushing the front sight off and trying again. Get rid of the rear sight as well if you can.
This is the pistol I cobbled together to learn the dot on and as you can see its sleek & clean, distraction free.
Fine shooter as well.

20210211_142246 - Copy.jpg

If they were machined to the RMR footprint I would order 4 tomorrow.
When I decided to try the optics I bought a complete slide assembly. had it milled for the RMR had the front sight milled off and no rears installed.
I didnt want to have to unlearn 50 years of iron sight shooting while trying to learn the dot & presentation.
Best move I could have made.
Any one that has a setup already and having troubles because of front sight focus/distraction I would recommend pushing the front sight off and trying again. Get rid of the rear sight as well if you can.
This is the pistol I cobbled together to learn the dot on and as you can see its sleek & clean, distraction free.
Fine shooter as well.

View attachment 16969
Nice set up!

While I'm glad for you folks who managed to purchase the Hex Wasp for your Hellcat and are pleased with it, try doing it now. Both the Springfield and Hex websites are "Out of Stock" on the Wasp, with no advisory on when it may be available again. I spent quite some time searching the Internet for an adapter plate to put the Vortex Venom sight I already have on the Hellcat, finally finding one. A mounting plate is nothing more than a thin piece of steel or aluminum with some threaded holes in it, right? Can anyone tell me what makes it so special that someone can be justified in charging $54.00 for it?
Make your own? Find a piece of aluminum stock the thickness/gauge you need from home improvement or hardware store. (Use larger piece than needed usually makes it easier to work on.) Transfer, scribe out the lines using what parts you have as patterns, drill holes, cut out and file to shape? Can use aluminum foil or paper as a transfer template/pattern too. Tedious, but doable with common hand tools.

The test pistol above led to what i actually wanted.
I learned this...
1. No adapter plate, direct mount in the slide. Slung low is best.
2. Farther back on the slide is best. If you must have rear Irons mill the dovetail ahead of the optic instead of behind it.
3. Bushing style compensators are not very efficient as gas comps but the 2 oz chunk of steel out on the end helps alot but tends to make you dip in between shots.
From beavertail to muzzle its 10 1/2 inches and weighs 50 ozs
My neighbor lady shoots it, loves it. Shes 88 and weighs 120 lbs lol

Based on the above I started on my Springfield project with a NIB/NOS V16
Born April 2000 so it was 20 when I started on it.
Took 9 months to complete
Every aspect was touched in some way internally & externally.
Dehorned
Smith & Alexander 1 piece magwell blended & scalloped.
RMRcc and associated milling
Every piece inside is polished and stroked and looks like a mirror
3.5 lb avg trigger pull
Reverse crowned barrel with matching reverse crowned spring plug.
.45 ACP to .45 Super with a simple recoil spring change
The list is long lol
Most of you guys seen it a hundred times prolly but I cant help it.
Im still enamored with it so here it is... again :ROFLMAO:

EDIT: my apologies guys I completely lost sight of the fact that this is a thread about the Hex optics. :rolleyes:
20210405_201621.jpg

20210416_112048.jpg

20210416_112133.jpg
20210416_111919.jpg

Last edited:
A mounting plate is nothing more than a thin piece of steel or aluminum with some threaded holes in it, right? Can anyone tell me what makes it so special that someone can be justified in charging $54.00 for it?

CNC machine time and associated set up time.
End mill time to set up the machine and drill & tap the holes.
There is no magic machine that takes bar stock in one end and spits plates ready to go out the other end.
If it were they would never be out of stock lol
Then it gets anodized.
Knowing what it takes to do this I think 54 bucks is sweet.
In my shop I wouldnt stop what I was doing to make one for less than a 100.00 of course I wasnt that kind of machine shop and it would cost me more to make 1 than it would 50 due to machine set up, CNC programming/data entry etc.
To make one freehand, drill and tap it, get the holes straight & matched. Remember it has to be PERFECT thats a pretty tall order even for a skilled fellow and thats never minding how its going to look.
Takes a long time to pay off 150,000 dollars and up in machines selling 54 dollar plates.
My 2 cents on the whys and whatfors.

The test pistol above led to what i actually wanted.
I learned this...
1. No adapter plate, direct mount in the slide. Slung low is best.
2. Farther back on the slide is best. If you must have rear Irons mill the dovetail ahead of the optic instead of behind it.
3. Bushing style compensators are not very efficient as gas comps but the 2 oz chunk of steel out on the end helps alot but tends to make you dip in between shots.
From beavertail to muzzle its 10 1/2 inches and weighs 50 ozs
My neighbor lady shoots it, loves it. Shes 88 and weighs 120 lbs lol

Based on the above I started on my Springfield project with a NIB/NOS V16
Born April 2000 so it was 20 when I started on it.
Took 9 months to complete
Every aspect was touched in some way internally & externally.
Dehorned
Smith & Alexander 1 piece magwell blended & scalloped.
RMRcc and associated milling
Every piece inside is polished and stroked and looks like a mirror
3.5 lb avg trigger pull
Reverse crowned barrel with matching reverse crowned spring plug.
.45 ACP to .45 Super with a simple recoil spring change
The list is long lol
Most of you guys seen it a hundred times prolly but I cant help it.
Im still enamored with it so here it is... again :ROFLMAO:

EDIT: my apologies guys I completely lost sight of the fact that this is a thread about the Hex optics. :rolleyes:
View attachment 16970
View attachment 16971

View attachment 16972View attachment 16973
"EDIT: my apologies guys I completely lost sight of the fact that this is a thread about the Hex optics. :rolleyes:"
Eh, we'll live! :)

Labors of love?
Why does anyone think people have/had reams of kid's photo's weighing down wallets or things hanging off fridges? Now day's those pic's may be on cell phones, but? Strongly suspect same holds water or is true for any finely tuned project including firearms we've gotten into?....Many of us are likely guilty and as proud as charged? :)

Back