testtest

Search results

  1. fordag

    Garrison, covered in rust, great response from Springfield.

    My Garrison arrived in my local gunstore in May 2023, which was also when I purchased it.
  2. fordag

    Garrison, covered in rust, great response from Springfield.

    LED bulbs absolutely do give off heat. The ones that replace your basic around the house round bulb just give off less heat than the incandescent bulbs did.
  3. fordag

    Garrison, covered in rust, great response from Springfield.

    The reality is that British soldiers kept their "Brown Bess" highly polished at all times. To do this they carried a small piece of steel and they would rub it up and down the barrel, steel polishes steel. In fact they sometimes did it so frequently that it became a problem, some would polish...
  4. fordag

    Garrison, covered in rust, great response from Springfield.

    Just don't look at ParaOrdnance...
  5. fordag

    Garrison, covered in rust, great response from Springfield.

    My safe has multiple desiccant packs that I dry in an oven as needed. On top of that it wasn't even close to humid the short time it was in the safe.
  6. fordag

    Garrison, covered in rust, great response from Springfield.

    A while back I posted about my difficulty in removing the rear sight from my Springfield Garrison. Well I put it in the safe until sending it to Springfield. About a month and a half or two months later I took it out and it was covered in rust. Nothing else in my safe had a spec of rust on...
  7. fordag

    Discussion: Why People Hate the 1911 (and Why They’re Wrong)

    I have had zero reliability issues with my Springfield Mil-Spec when running high round count multi day courses. I also do basic cleaning at night because that's just the smart thing to do. However, I've told this before, but some years ago I purchased three Auto Ordnance GI 1911s and I ran...
  8. fordag

    Garrison sight removal PITA.

    Sadly 3/16" thick leather over wooden vise jaws didn't save my slide from slight marring of the finish.
  9. fordag

    Garrison sight removal PITA.

    It is interesting but I have to wonder if it wouldn't damage the slide rails. The rear sight in my Garrison is so tight that in a vise with wooden jaws, covered with leather, the slide was still slightly marred when I finally resorted to a 3 lb. hammer and the rear sight still didn't budge in...
  10. fordag

    Garrison sight removal PITA.

    I looked for marks showing how the sight had gone in when left to right didn't work. There are no marks on the sight itself. There are marks on the bottom of the dovetail, on both sides, so the marks didn't help in this case.
  11. fordag

    Garrison sight removal PITA.

    I have a 1 ton press, what I don't have is a fixture to hold the slide in place.
  12. fordag

    Garrison sight removal PITA.

    Good to know, still though it certainly feels like they did the same with my Garrison. My 3 lb. hammer and punch didn't budge the sights. I've never encountered sights in this tight.
  13. fordag

    Garrison sight removal PITA.

    The issue for me is my dislike of Novak rear sights that began in 1985, when he introduced them. I thought they were stupid then and my opinion of them hasn't changed. So replacing the rear sight is the entire point of this exercise for me. I'm probably going to just send it back to SA to...
  14. fordag

    Garrison sight removal PITA.

    Interesting on the Lyman. My MGW sight pusher says remove sights left to right and install left to right. Kuhnhausen also states left to right as does Hilton Yam of 10-8 Performance. This is so frustrating. This doesn't help the end user at all. I have no desire to approach my 1911 with a...
  15. fordag

    Garrison sight removal PITA.

    In my experience sights go in and out from left to right. I'd need to do some research to find a reliable gunsmith in my area.
  16. fordag

    Garrison sight removal PITA.

    I purchased a Garrison 1911 on Friday, also ordered replacement sights from Springfield, (Operator sights). The sights arrived today and I attempted to swap them, a simple job right? Well the Novak rear sight on the Garrison will not budge. First and foremost I removed the set screw in the...
  17. fordag

    Discussion: Flat Trigger vs. Curved Trigger: Which Is Better?

    I've shot guns with both. I much prefer a short, curved trigger. Ideally smooth, but I am fine with serrations.
  18. fordag

    Discussion: Are Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper’s Teachings Still Relevant?

    $60 a glass?! 12 or 18 year old? That's almost half the price of the damn bottle!
  19. fordag

    Discussion: Are Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper’s Teachings Still Relevant?

    That's interesting to know about MN. In my state there is no stated % "...any individual who carries on his person, or has under his control in a vehicle, a loaded firearm while under the influence of intoxicating liquor, marijuana, narcotic drugs, depressants, stimulant substances, or the...
  20. fordag

    Discussion: Are Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper’s Teachings Still Relevant?

    Jeff Cooper covered that in his expanded rules. 1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are. 2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.) 3. Keep your finger...
Back
Top