testtest

10mm anyone

So, I’ll be the buzzkill.

I think 10mm is one of the most overrated handgun cartridges out there. It’s not as powerful as touted (.357 magnum will beat it up to 200 gr bullets)…and most commercial loads are barely warmer than .40 S&W.

If you want a hot round out of a 1911–get a .45acp model, beef up your recoil springs to 20-21#, and get some .45 Super. Kicks 10mm’s tuchus all day long.

I like my Rapide in 10mm
IMG_20230201_191742118_HDR~2.jpg

So, I’ll be the buzzkill.

I think 10mm is one of the most overrated handgun cartridges out there. It’s not as powerful as touted (.357 magnum will beat it up to 200 gr bullets)…and most commercial loads are barely warmer than .40 S&W.

If you want a hot round out of a 1911–get a .45acp model, beef up your recoil springs to 20-21#, and get some .45 Super. Kicks 10mm’s tuchus all day long.
I agree to an extent, the newer rounds are no way like the original 10mm when it first came out, Norma’s original load was quit warm, todays, like Hans said just over the .40S&W round, back in the day I liked the .45Winmag and .41 Action Express, today the 10mm is just a niche, I have one, like it, but it’s not the same as the original, just my opinion

I agree to an extent, the newer rounds are no way like the original 10mm when it first came out, Norma’s original load was quit warm, todays, like Hans said just over the .40S&W round, back in the day I liked the .45Winmag and .41 Action Express, today the 10mm is just a niche, I have one, like it, but it’s not the same as the original, just my opinion
The original 10mm spec that was claimed by Norma—200gr @ 1300fps—was never really actualized. Mid 1200’s is as good as it gets at 200gr, unless you want to press your luck with pressure.

10mm has never really lived up to its promise.

The original 10mm spec that was claimed by Norma—200gr @ 1300fps—was never really actualized. Mid 1200’s is as good as it gets at 200gr, unless you want to press your luck with pressure.

10mm has never really lived up to its promise.
Nope, never did, only reason I think it went as far as it did was because of Miami Vice and Sonny Crockets Bren Ten, everyone wanted a 10mm, just like everyone wanted a model 29 in .44 mag after Dirty Harry

Then there were the idiots that claimed “10mm = .41 Magnum”…ignorant gits.
That always made me laugh! You hit the nail on the head. It's really close IMHO to a .357mag semi-auto. Is it a fun round? Yes! Honestly I'm glad it made a come back, I enjoy shooting it and searching for new ammo to try. There are some screamers out there and they can be hard to find at times. Here's my take, when the great ammo shortage hit hard during COVID, there were two rounds on the shelves EVERYWHERE, 10mm and .220 swift. Every place I went had plenty of those two calibers. I'm hoping that if that ever happens again that same scenario plays out. I don't think it will this time around.
BTW I've still not bought a .220 swift 😜

Okay I will do my best here to give a point on the 10mm.

Some states like my own, have certain restricted units that limit pistol hunters to a bullet with a diameter of 0.4 or larger. 10mm would meet this but 357 magnum would not (not sure the thinking behind the requirement but it is what it is).

So I guess it sort of depends on the purpose behind buying the 10mm and the persons planned use. Just wanted to point out one area where it might behoove someone to choose a 10mm over 357, but then again as Hans mentioned there are likely better rounds that would fit this niche.

The semi-auto 10mm is a popular round in my greater AOPs due to it's better penetration abilities over the .45 since we have griz to deal with when they get into bad-breath range.

All my 10s are easy to shoot but then again I'm used to the "snap".

Here’s an assortment of 357 and 10 mm ammo I have. Ft lbs of energy is what I look for as a key indicator of knock down power.
The 10 mm is snappy and much flatter shooting compared to the 45 acp. The 45 has more of a thud vs snappy and visibly drops off like a Nolan Ryan curveball.
I don’t own a 45 but want one. I did own an FNX-45 and regretted getting rid of it.
Best I can tell you. Have one of each.
😁

IMG_7962.jpeg

Back