testtest

Did You Buy the Wrong Handgun?

Soo many people buy a handgun “because its the trendy pistol”, not ever knowing if it is the proper handgun for them over other models.

Handle, hold and evaluate. Test fire should be a strategy for all buyers if possible.

Soooooooo many folks dont use their pistol because they hate the fact they bought a pistol they dont like

Yet, even then, folks do end up with a firearm that over time the ownership experience was not what they expected and they sour on their purchase.

With all the riots in 2020, people were buying their first firearm, and what was trendy, a Glock. Saw an interview with several gun shops owners talking about the number of Glocks being resold, the biggest reason the first time owner never realized they did not have a manual safety. So yes what you say is true, many people put as much forethought into their first firearm purchase no more than going to the local gunshop and purchasing what was on the shelf, and Glock is a name they've heard of.....

I still have to admit, the appearance of the firearm plays into the decision for me, but other factors as well. And also avoiding what is trendy, as well as the lack of a manual safety, is why Glocks don't appeal to me.

I like Springfield XD-M's despite no manual safety, but they have two automatic safeties, which was a selling point, no automatic safety, but your finger has to be on the trigger and hand around the grip at the same time? Better than just pressure on the trigger, IMO.

When I was brand new to all of this, I tried some guns that I thought were 'awesome' before I knew any of this, and ended up surprised at how 'not fun' they were to shoot because they didn't feel right in my hands.

I was fortunate enough to get someone who worked at my local GS when I was ready to get my first one who said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "How the gun feels in your hand is incredibly important, probably the most important."

Going to say something totally controversial (maybe) but I absolutely HATE how stock Glocks feel in my hands.

I have a Walther CCP as my carry and love the grip, an SA XD-9 4.0 Mod.2 with GRIPZONE (;)) and love the grip on the SA Prodigy as well. They all just just 'feel' right to me.

Yet, even then, folks do end up with a firearm that over time the ownership experience was not what they expected and they sour on their purchase.

With all the riots in 2020, people were buying their first firearm, and what was trendy, a Glock. Saw an interview with several gun shops owners talking about the number of Glocks being resold, the biggest reason the first time owner never realized they did not have a manual safety. So yes what you say is true, many people put as much forethought into their first firearm purchase no more than going to the local gunshop and purchasing what was on the shelf, and Glock is a name they've heard of.....

I still have to admit, the appearance of the firearm plays into the decision for me, but other factors as well. And also avoiding what is trendy, as well as the lack of a manual safety, is why Glocks don't appeal to me.

I like Springfield XD-M's despite no manual safety, but they have two automatic safeties, which was a selling point, no automatic safety, but your finger has to be on the trigger and hand around the grip at the same time? Better than just pressure on the trigger, IMO.
Ah, Glock has 2 automatic safety’s, they have a striker safety which is automatic and they got the blade trigger safety, just no grip safety, most Sig P320’s don’t have a manual safety either, your finger is the best safety there is, just don’t put it inside the trigger guard and on the trigger until you are ready to shoot, plain and simple. All those ND issues in my opinion are owner inflicted due to poor or lack of training with the weapon

I have bought plenty of guns without actually handling or shooting them first and there hasn’t really been any one gun that I immediately thought I really don’t like this and to be honest, I kind of like the gamble. I don’t care about trendy, but looks matter. And I don’t have an issue with beta testing a new platform - like my Prodigy which has 1300 rds through it and is hypnotic to shoot.

I’ve had a couple that as I’ve worked with them I’ve realized that I’m really not meshing with them and typically I’ve moved them on. And there’s others like my Archon Type B that I bought out of the case without even holding it. If I could only keep one of my guns the Archon would be it. So for me testing and evaluating is overrated. I’m in this thing for the buzz, the experience, and even a bad experience is still a learning moment, which makes it a positive experience.

When I was younger I thought Glock was the greatest. A Glock pistol also saved my life. As I have gotten older I have found that the Smith M&P line give me a more accurate shot. I also like my Hellcat. Of course the FNP is the most accurate gun I own. Glocks hold a special place in my heart and I would never get rid of them but I probably will not purchase another one. The one gun that gives me the most pleasure is a 1911. They are great range guns as I cannot carry one anymore because of weight considerations. For me as I go thru life I have found that there isn't a bad gun, some are good and others are great.

Not too long ago I bought a Sig P320 XCompact 9mm because it was supposed to be a better version of the 320. It was okay but didn't float my boat. So I then bought the full size conversion for it. Then the Wilson Combat FDE Carry size grip to render it a kinda M17 similar to what our army is using. Not for me, my 2013 stainless Mil-Spec is next to me as I type this. Now I just need to find a young un who wants one of these pistols without a hammer.

While I have many guns that I like more than others, I don't really buy into the "wrong gun" theory. Some of my guns are better suited for specific purposes (ex. concealed carry) than others, but that doesn't make them "right" or "wrong". I firmly believe that, absent a physical disability that makes it impossible to safely handle a certain firearm, shooters can adapt their techniques to perform well with any functional handgun. Some shooters absolutely buy guns that they won't enjoy shooting as much as others, but I would just consider that to be a learning experience.

If someone doesn't like the gun they initially chose, they can sell it or just keep it for later. I own several guns that I did not like very much when I first started shooting, but that I currently enjoy bringing to the range now that I am a more experienced shooter. Part of becoming proficient in any skill involves learning your strengths & weaknesses, and developing your own personal style & preferences. Unless a gun is so poorly manufactured that it cannot be reliably fired in a controlled manner, then it isn't the "wrong" gun in my opinion.

I'm not convinced that the Goldilocks gun that is perfect in all situations actually exists. If it did, shooting would be a horribly boring experience. We'd all just own that one gun and have nothing to talk about on forums like this.

I have bought plenty of guns without actually handling or shooting them first and there hasn’t really been any one gun that I immediately thought I really don’t like this and to be honest, I kind of like the gamble. I don’t care about trendy, but looks matter. And I don’t have an issue with beta testing a new platform - like my Prodigy which has 1300 rds through it and is hypnotic to shoot.

I’ve had a couple that as I’ve worked with them I’ve realized that I’m really not meshing with them and typically I’ve moved them on. And there’s others like my Archon Type B that I bought out of the case without even holding it. If I could only keep one of my guns the Archon would be it. So for me testing and evaluating is overrated. I’m in this thing for the buzz, the experience, and even a bad experience is still a learning moment, which makes it a positive experience.

I have frankly bought most of my guns without ever handling them. I researched them thoroughly and got opinions from people I trust. I don't regret any of them and I train with all the ones I carry.

Personally I am glad you move them along when you don't bond with them. Worked out pretty damn good for me recently.

I’ve bought……
1 Smith & Wesson handgun, traded it in.
2 Savage rifles, traded them in.
1 Glock, traded it in.
1 Taurus Revolver, it’s a keeper.
Multiple Springfield Armory guns.
Some I have traded in, some I have sold.
My favorite gun manufacturer?
Springfield Armory!!!
They just fit me.
Others I no longer own? No regrets.

I don't like the part about that the pad of your finger has to be on the trigger.
When I went through the 2 week firearm portion of my academy, that was never even a concner. Where your finger lands on the trigger wasn't even worth discussing, but grip sure was.
I have large hands (long fingers, palm a basketball large), and shooting with the pad of my finger just doesn't work for me. It feels way to awkward as my finer is bent at a weird angle, and I can't do it consistently. But putting the bend of my finger at the first knuckle just works.

Most folks can hold a gun from the show case at their LGS and realize its either a good fit or not. Ergonomics, trigger etc.

I’ve held some first class rated pistols to find out the trigger sucked. Didnt buy it.

Same with a rental. I’ll rent a gun from the rental case and test fire where/if I can.

Thats led me to buy or pass on pistols

I smile when I think of all the customers and friends I have that reply, when I ask them if they would sell me a particular firearm, "I don't sell guns." It's a more common sentiment than I would have guessed. The 30oz of dead weight in the gun safe is making far more money just sitting there than any investment I have right now.

I don't like the part about that the pad of your finger has to be on the trigger.
When I went through the 2 week firearm portion of my academy, that was never even a concner. Where your finger lands on the trigger wasn't even worth discussing, but grip sure was.
I have large hands (long fingers, palm a basketball large), and shooting with the pad of my finger just doesn't work for me. It feels way to awkward as my finer is bent at a weird angle, and I can't do it consistently. But putting the bend of my finger at the first knuckle just works.
I agree with you. I understand that we teach certain fundamental disciplines and dynamics to new gun owners to instill good habits, but I do think that there is a point where you decide This is What Works for Me. Honest Outlaw has a video where he talks about exactly this and “proper” technique and how Rob Leatham, Jerry Miculek and other greats have some very unconventional aspects to their style and ultimately, if something works for you stick with it. How different would rock have been if Jimi Hendrix hadn’t turned his guitar upside down?

Back