testtest

1911's in tv and movies - why is the hammer always down?

1911Guy

Alpha
Founding Member
A huge pet peeve of mine is why the hammer is always down in the middle of a gunfight on 1911's in movies and TV shows. You are basically carrying a paperweight at that point. The actors/armorers are firing blanks through the guns so they obviously know how the weapon works, yet they render it unable to fire on camera. I don't get it.

Hammer down.jpg

image001-600x348.png

Optics being on backwards is a common mistake. This one shows the lens cap still on as he is about to take out a bad guy from across town.

You ever also notice when on tv, there semi auto runs dry, you still hear the gun going click, click, click, every time they pull the trigger and the slide is still in battery, not locked open, even though the gun ie empty, or the best one is a silencer on a revolver......and they fire it and it’s quiet.

A huge pet peeve of mine is why the hammer is always down in the middle of a gunfight on 1911's in movies and TV shows. You are basically carrying a paperweight at that point. The actors/armorers are firing blanks through the guns so they obviously know how the weapon works, yet they render it unable to fire on camera. I don't get it.

View attachment 6

When I carry my new Springfield Range Officer, I carry it in Condition One with the hammer DOWN!
Yes, no BS. My 1911 is modified with the SFS system. With the Shoot Fast Safely system I rack the slide
to chamber a round. Then push the hammer forward. As the hammer goes forward the safety
engages. Upon moving the safety down the hammer will spring back and I'm in full condition one.
Along with putting all that see it at ease I like it as having the hammer down it won't possibly
get tangled or caught on something.
Now for the movies/TV. Naaaa, they just being stupid as I'm sure they know nothing about SFS.
Link:

I installed an SFS on my primary ccw, it’s a S&W scandium, it’s super light for all day carry. But it’s my favorite 1911 becouse of the safe fast shooting system!!!

Back