testtest

2021 Gun Ownership By State

BobM

Hellcat
Interesting read with info and graphs about which state has how many registered guns in 2021. Keep in mind registered. Many guns are not required to be registered in some states and hadn't been required to in the past. By this info alone the USA is number one in civilian firearms and has over 40% of the worlds civilian firearms. It's very likely the amount of firearms is much higher in USA.

Interesting read with info and graphs about which state has how many registered guns in 2021. Keep in mind registered. Many guns are not required to be registered in some states and hadn't been required to in the past. By this info alone the USA is number one in civilian firearms and has over 40% of the worlds civilian firearms. It's very likely the amount of firearms is much higher in USA.

Texas surprised me

Not even sure how this can be remotely accurate with the most gun friendly states not having any form of gun registration. I don’t even know how Georgia can have 39%+ of the population having registered guns when there is no gun registration here. I’m sure this also applies to states like Texas, Florida and Missouri as well. Interesting, but doesn’t really tell the story...

Not even sure how this can be remotely accurate with the most gun friendly states not having any form of gun registration. I don’t even know how Georgia can have 39%+ of the population having registered guns when there is no gun registration here. I’m sure this also applies to states like Texas, Florida and Missouri as well. Interesting, but doesn’t really tell the story...

I agree. The only thing I can think of is this study counted NFA items since that's the only thing that's "registered" in my state.

I just assumed they were using info from background check requests.
Its the only way they could complile the data for all 50 states.
There is no such thing as a "registered" gun at the federal level.
ANY gun can be sold privately and legalley a dozen times between such "recorded"sales
NFA items yes.
Best they can do is run the serial and tell you who last passed a bg check related to that firearm.
That is NOT gun registration.
Many states that have their own laws at the state & local levels.
Kalifornia IS coming to America folks.
Thats part of the problem. Most folks think there is already gun registration in place so dont seem to mind the new registration talk going on now. Those folks couldnt be more wrong.

I just assumed they were using info from background check requests.
Its the only way they could complile the data for all 50 states.
There is no such thing as a "registered" gun at the federal level.
ANY gun can be sold privately and legalley a dozen times between such "recorded"sales
NFA items yes.
Best they can do is run the serial and tell you who last passed a bg check related to that firearm.
That is NOT gun registration.
Many states that have their own laws at the state & local levels.
Kalifornia IS coming to America folks.
Thats part of the problem. Most folks think there is already gun registration in place so dont seem to mind the new registration talk going on now. Those folks couldnt be more wrong.

I point that out proliferously.

Yes I made that word up.

I call BS. No way Maryland has a higher percentage than Missouri. Maybe Missourians are just smart enough not to tell random people on the phone they have guns. Compiling an accurate list of gun ownership percentages by state would be right next to impossible in the best case scenario anyway.

Go Arkansas go.

What is the source on this info?
"Because of variances in regulations throughout the nation, it’s impossible to get exact numbers when it comes to the total number of guns in the nation and the number of guns in each state. However, the Pew Research Center has compiled data that is about as accurate as it gets."

This article is a bunch of crap. If you click on the link under “source”, it takes you to an article from CBS news. This quote is where that article says they got their numbers. It’s a croc, just a guess...

“ In April 2020, the RAND Corporation published a long-term study tracking gun ownership in all 50 states, from 1980 to 2016. They combined survey-based estimates with other data indicative of gun ownership — shooting death records, gun-related magazine subscriptions, background check submissions and more — to determine the percentage of adults in each state who live in a household with at least one gun.”

I call BS. No way Maryland has a higher percentage than Missouri. Maybe Missourians are just smart enough not to tell random people on the phone they have guns. Compiling an accurate list of gun ownership percentages by state would be right next to impossible in the best case scenario anyway.
That could very well be. The source is supposedly "PEW" research.

This article is a bunch of crap. If you click on the link under “source”, it takes you to an article from CBS news. This quote is where that article says they got their numbers. It’s a croc, just a guess...

“ In April 2020, the RAND Corporation published a long-term study tracking gun ownership in all 50 states, from 1980 to 2016. They combined survey-based estimates with other data indicative of gun ownership — shooting death records, gun-related magazine subscriptions, background check submissions and more — to determine the percentage of adults in each state who live in a household with at least one gun.”
This is also listed as source. (In light blue banner.)
Many articles have more than one source:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/gun-ownership-rates-by-state/

This is also listed as source. (In light blue banner.)
Many articles have more than one source:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/gun-ownership-rates-by-state/

From the article.

"They combined survey-based estimates with other data indicative of gun ownership — shooting death records, gun-related magazine subscriptions, background check submissions and more — to determine the percentage of adults in each state who live in a household with at least one gun."

Survey based estimates? Ha ha ha.
Magazine subscriptions and shooting death records? Background checks and more? WTF is more ?

From the article.

"They combined survey-based estimates with other data indicative of gun ownership — shooting death records, gun-related magazine subscriptions, background check submissions and more — to determine the percentage of adults in each state who live in a household with at least one gun."

Survey based estimates? Ha ha ha.
Magazine subscriptions and shooting death records? Background checks and more? WTF is more ?
I wouldn't and don't trust most things written or gleaned from online sources. Garbage in, garbage out is typical. Especially the devious "investigative" ones. Seems they trust online **** more than some do though? They've got more stuff wrong on people have known than can count. Most articles just read for a glimmer of truth is about it. Haven't seen a survey yet that didn't have some sort of biased "holes" in it.

And assume when we call a random guy and ask him if he owns a gun he's going to answer honestly. I mean would you?
Silly questions get silly answers?
Depends on specific type of gun question and from who's on phone or wherever too?
"No" is usual reply to an unknown person depending on circumstances.
Besides, there are many kinds of guns if constantly badgered? (Rubber band gun is thought in back of mind.) Nope had one long ago when was a kid, it broke, didn't work, threw it away.
From experience, "None of your F'ing business" reply is generally considered a yes to some people.

Back