testtest

.22 for concealed carry, are you kidding me?

anyone been reading about how many problems that new G44 has?

As many of "my gun family" here on TAL Forums know, for the last 6 years or so, I've really been having an awfully fun time at the range with my daughter, who is now 14.

I got her a Gen5 G17 FS a bit over a year ago, for her 13th (she's Jewish, from her mom's side, so that was a big birthday for her). She's still a bit shy on it due to recoil, so I've been thinking about either getting a .22LR conversion for it (and my Gen3 G32, too, so that we can have some dueling-tree fun) or picking up the G44.

We currently have a great time on the dueling tree with "her" Browning Buckmark and my Ruger 22/45, but the awkwardness of manipulation dictated by the Browning's ergonomics and the speed-reload of both has both of us wanting something more similar to what we'd otherwise be shooting, be it my XDms or our Glocks.

I was really all set to pick up a pair of G44s based on some early reviews and also success by some (real-life/live) friends. But to tell you the truth, the increasing number of issues being reported online has me re-thinking that decision, and I'm now holding off for the time being.

Even at its current pricing, I wouldn't mind paying for it - but it needs to be reliable and durable, first and foremost. And I know from experience that frequent stoppages - which we'd encountered on her 15-22 (until I tuned its ejector and replaced the extractor with an aftermarket piece) - also can drastically impact shooter satisfaction. Even for plinking, it wouldn't be fun if it broke too soon.

I'm going to sit on this one for a bit.

My dad during WWII qualified as a marksman with the 1911, when ever we went fishing he always took his H&R 9 shot .22lr, now he had a S&W model 15, and model 19. He always liked the H&R, I asked him why he chose that to take, he told me he could shoot the H&R faster and more accurately then his other 2 guns, btw, he perfected headshots also.

I carry a .22 short as a backup to me 10mm
8287_10153844833514932_5353082586277654900_n.jpg

So two things I would like to add. First we all talk about the enviable adrenaline rush of drawing a weapon to defend yourself or loved ones, or anyone who needs protection so with a 22LR can anyone? Even those that practice be that good to aim for someone’s head to make that small round count?? I think not. I agree the 22 would be a great starter gun just to learn how to shoot and to understand gun fundamentals but a 9mm or even a 38 wheel gun is a much better option. My 2cents.
Second on the conversation on brandishing a weapon to (scare) someone. For many years I worked at night and I always kept a gun in my truck however never left it in the truck overnight. One night after returning home from work I grabbed my lunch bag and my gun from the truck, at that time I was carrying an MP Shield 40 with a laser and before going up the stairs to my apartment I decided to check my mail box. I was opening the mailbox door when I heard footsteps behind me. When I turned around there were two guys standing there. First an awkward silence then one of the guys said I need the keys to your truck. Since I hadn’t put my gun in my pocket but had it in my hand hidden by my lunch bag I dropped the bag and triggered the laser pointing it at the ground at there feet. All I said was no.
Both guys left fairly quickly.
When I was reporting the incident to the police I was told that “drawing” and or “brandishing” a weapon was a felony However since I was carrying the gun already in my hand I was safe from prosecution and that it probably saved my life.

An interesting article/video from Chris Baker (Lucky Gunner Lounge) on "The Best .22LR and .22 Magnum Ammo for Self-Defense" , if a 22lr or 22 Mag is your choice for defensive carry. He is just presenting data in this study, and doesn't delve on whether carry a 22 is prudent for defensive carry. He does offer another article/video on that subject you can find in the archives on their site, if interested.

I have a buddy who carries a little 22 derringer type on a clip in his front pocket at work. They're not allowed to carry so he don't want to get caught carrying. I guess it's better than nothing, but I can easily carry a .40 and even a .45 Shield where no one can see it so......

Back