testtest

300 Blackout...... Tips

Thanks...I appreciate the tips. So far I‘ve only loaded 150gr Hornady and 220gr Lapua Scenar L. I’ve shot numerous factory loads, but nothing lighter than 147gr. I have a number of new loads ready for testing with new powders...I’d been waiting for my outdoors range to open for shooting, but I’m about to give up since I have unlimitEd shooting at a local indoor range. Better to test where climate won’t be an issue.
I haven’t seen these Magtech rounds in my area...guess I’ll have to grab a free shipping day and get some new factory rounds. I may have to give up on loading for subs until I can afford a can (and the tax stamp).

Are you looking for any specific weight or just trying too get stabilization. I know you want stability, but do you want sub loads? What was your barrel length?

My 8.5” 1:7 AR cycles beautifully, but subs keyhole. I was wrongly advised that subs won’t stabilize in a short barrel...which is pure BS. The round was designed for 9” barrel and subsonic rounds. Nonetheless, I took the bait and built a 10.5” 1:7 AR that had a carbine length gas port. As I now know, it’s very challenging to get proper function in 10.5” carbine gas barrel unsuppressed. I know I never came close. I am pursuing 2 paths...new muzzle device for my 8.5” pistol length barrel, to gain sun stability, and a newly installed 10.5” pistol gas barrel on my other 300 Blackout AR.
I have hand loads as well as factory rounds to test both configurations.
Untried at this point is opening up the gas port on my 10.5” carbine length barrel. I never pursued this option. But I may at some point.

Back