testtest

45 RO safety grip rattle

doc3IDtre

Alpha
Hi everyone. Ive searched alot and just can't find the right answer. So here i am. Question is this: I have a 45 cal Range Officer compact black. 200 + rnds fired, no issues. But noticed that the safety grip or beaver tail rattles nicely. Has play to the left and right and not a lot resistance when pushed in. Still fires with no issues. Is this common? Will it be a safety issue? whats the fix? Can i do the fix or does it have to see a smith or sent to Springfield?

Hi everyone. Ive searched alot and just can't find the right answer. So here i am. Question is this: I have a 45 cal Range Officer compact black. 200 + rnds fired, no issues. But noticed that the safety grip or beaver tail rattles nicely. Has play to the left and right and not a lot resistance when pushed in. Still fires with no issues. Is this common? Will it be a safety issue? whats the fix? Can i do the fix or does it have to see a smith or sent to Springfield?
If this is a newly purchased gun contact Springfield Armory Customer Service. The phone number and email can be found in the owners manual.

Do you mean from front to back rattle? What I mean is like a rattle if you were to grip the safety to engage and disengage it, is this the rattle you are referring to?

Thank ya'll for answering. Not a new purchase, but did reg the warranty w/o issue. The rattle happens when i hold it by the receiver and touch it or slightly move the gun. you can move it by touching it. In my grip its fine, no raddle.

So if you are not comfortable with precedure contact a pro or Springfield.

the technical answer is probably you sear spring is bent weak.....maybe someone in the past did a trigger job? Either way I like my grip safety’s extra springy so I always adjust my sear spring to give extra pressure to the grip safety. Look at the picture most standard 1911 sear springs will have 3 fingers. The finger all the way to the right (the picture is pointing opposite of what you need, found on internet) gives the grip safety it’s springyness. Pull that one slightly out Towards the grip safety for extra pressure. Towards the frame for less. Just a little goes a long way.
C4B1B386-50FE-44D1-86D2-80A3C3DEAFB7.jpeg

So if you are not comfortable with precedure contact a pro or Springfield.

the technical answer is probably you sear spring is bent weak.....maybe someone in the past did a trigger job? Either way I like my grip safety’s extra springy so I always adjust my sear spring to give extra pressure to the grip safety. Look at the picture most standard 1911 sear springs will have 3 fingers. The finger all the way to the right (the picture is pointing opposite of what you need, found on internet) gives the grip safety it’s springyness. Pull that one slightly out Towards the grip safety for extra pressure. Towards the frame for less. Just a little goes a long way.
View attachment 16804
Thank you! I posted a vid, and after seeing your instruction, should fix it. Again Thanks to everyone.

One of the differences between factory "custom" models and true, hand crafted firearms is the fitment of parts.
The grip safety on the 1911 (on a hand fitted pistol) starts out not fitting into the grip frame. It is then filed down until it fits and operates smoothly. Usually, when depressed, there is little gap or rattle.
Factory pistols, of necessity, are assembled using go-no go specifications requiring little to no hand fitment.
One solution that would make a fine home project would be to measure the right left gap in your frame and ordering an oversized grip safety. Then you could fir it to your pistol and finish it to your liking.
The 1911 is interesting to customize and parts are everywhere.

I have a Colt's Government Model Series 70 from 1980.
From the factory, the grip safety rattled. The extended grip safety I installed in its second year rattles.
In fact, the whole bloody thing rattled until I installed a full length recoil spring guide, a heavy spring, and a shock buffer. That took care of the top end rattle and dramatically improved groups.
One day, I will install a rowel hammer and new sear. Then I'll need a new grip safety and I'll break out the files and stones...one day...when I get some of these other projects completed...someday...I promise...really i will...

Back